Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
On my Hyundai Accent 2007 (3 door) I accidentally closed tail gate without pushing the outside handle off me, as the manual recommends. After that I am unable to open the tail gate, neither manually turning the key clockwise nor with keyless fob by pushing UNLOCK button. I do hear that it unlocks however when pulling handle towards me, I simply can't open the hatch. Driver's and passenger doors open and close fine.

I've checked the manual from cover to cover and verified every single thing that it talks about, but still no result.

I wonder, is it seriously broken or well known problem?
Thanks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
a lot of us have hatchbacks with sticky handles, as in they stick open, if you dont push the handle back in like you said, the hatchback will not shut. That problem seems common and well known as the cars age.

I would not be surprised if over time it could break.
Thanks for information. Based on your experience, is it feasible to fix a handle or only completely replacing will help?

PS. I'm expecting that to access the handle, I will need to remove back seat and unscrew bolts from inside.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Handle needs to be in the normal "at home" position before the lock will release to allow the handle to be operated to open the lid

Decide which way you want to go with it.. new exterior handle for the lid is couple dollars, and maybe 30 minute of your time to swap it.. OR,, get the lid open,, spray it with some PB Blaster or Liquid Wrench and work the handle back/forth until it move freely and what left of rusted return spring/rusted pivot shaft hopefully to push it back home, either way, you need to stay on top of it and keep it oiled to keep it moving freely.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Mine has stuck open in the past as well. I sprayed some WD40 up around the lever from the outside (without taking anything apart), and wiggled it back & forth for a while and it loosened up. Maybe WD40 can help loosen it up from a closed position as well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts