Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2011 Hyundai Sonata, i loved but when i saw the tail lights they look incomplete.
We got a tail light divided in two pieces, the main big part and the small part wich contains the reverse light and a red portion with even has a reflector but nothing else just sealed.

A bought some sockets and terminals in advance auto parts, i drilled the tail lights and wire every thing. Thanks to the guy who install the led tail lights in other topic who give the push to do this.

i took some pictures, tell me what you think.

Attachments

·
Registered
623 Posts
Nice job :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Yep it definantely looks better with that piece lit up. Not sure why Hyundai North America decided to pull the bulb out of our cars.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I use license plate sockets and light bulbs, 4.9 Watts i didn't use Leds because it is better to maintain the uniform apereance and brightness of the the taillight, so i decide to use the reflector , also the led is a directional light so wont work.Keep in mind that you can not choose i high wattage light bulb because you are only trying to match the brightness of the other piece of the taillight and those lights are for parking not braking lights.
I boughed the sokets and light bubls at Advance Autoparts there is only one kind and they are riht in the floor store.

The lights only lit up with with the front lights at night not brake parking lights this is because the harness already in the car only feed those type of lights. People already run and extra wire for that purpose, look in the led taillights topic.I did not because at that time my car only has 360 miles and i was to scared.

The reason i use cheap light sockets is because i could not find anything better, and hyundai parts cost 34 dollars for the wiring and sockets for the reverse light in just one side, so this is and easy and cheap way.

Dont forget you have to drill the taillights because there is no holes BUT you will find a circle mark were the holes go in the plastic,its like there suppose to be sockets in there but they did not want them.

Finally, use a air compressor to remove the debris from the inside, yo have to shake them and blow until they dissapear, its a lot of fun.

Any questions let me know

·
Registered
125 Posts
This is an AWESOME mod. I will be attempting this ASAP.

Question. For the holes you have to drill for the bulbs to go into, dont some sort of notches had to be cut around the circle so the bulb holder fits in properly and so you can twist the socket to "lock" it in?

Any pictures of the socket used? or Part #/ Model # for the Advance Auto wiring?

Thanks!

·
Registered
250 Posts
QUOTE (DARK @ May 18 2011, 12:37 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=447614
This is an AWESOME mod. I will be attempting this ASAP.

Question. For the holes you have to drill for the bulbs to go into, dont some sort of notches had to be cut around the circle so the bulb holder fits in properly and so you can twist the socket to "lock" it in?

Any pictures of the socket used? or Part #/ Model # for the Advance Auto wiring?

Thanks!
Here's a recent thread on this mod with a step by step by RAMKAT...

http://www.hyundai-forums.com/index.php?s=...st&p=445671

Happy Modding and tell and show us how it turns out!

·
Registered
125 Posts
It should be noted that the reason why they dont have bulbs in there in the US is because the heat from the bulb has a risk of melting the lens. The "chamber" that bulb sits in is TINY with no way for the heat to escape. The lights are LED in Korea and have little to no heat (no melting risk).

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
QUOTE (DARK @ May 18 2011, 03:12 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=447679
It should be noted that the reason why they dont have bulbs in there in the US is because the heat from the bulb has a risk of melting the lens. The "chamber" that bulb sits in is TINY with no way for the heat to escape. The lights are LED in Korea and have little to no heat (no melting risk).
Meltingthe lens would suck.

·
Registered
594 Posts
QUOTE (DARK @ May 18 2011, 05:12 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=447679
Interesting, I will watch out for this. Another good reason to go for the 194 bulb which is only 3.6 Watt.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I still plan to do this mod, but I will be using a 194 LED bulb (multi directional). I will post a thread as soon as I do it, maybe this weekend

·
Registered
125 Posts
QUOTE (RamKat @ May 19 2011, 05:21 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=447903
It would be interesting to see how the color would match up. Question about the melting risk. What is your source?
I just bought everything I need tonight at Pep Boys. I will be doing the mod within the next 24 hours. I am using standard 194 bulbs, NOT LED. I tested the bulbs and left em on for a while, they do not get very warm. Not nearly enough for melting the lens. So I will be using those, nothing bigger which will get very hot. Keep your eyes peeled. I will post up ASAP

1 - 20 of 21 Posts