Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need help with real tail lights, 2013 Elantra. I have had many tail lights and brake lights burn out. Up until now I have replaced them usually with LED's replacements and have had no problems. Now I have the two passengers side tail lights out the two bulbs are in the lens cluster that is in the trunk. I've tried dielectric grease, tried multiple bulbs no luck.
Any thoughts? It's almost seems like a ground is lose somewhere. Need all the help I can get. Thanks

·
Retired Staff
11,818 Posts
If regular bulbs work try rotating the LED bulbs. They have to be plugged in a certain way to work.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Like someguy said, LED's can only go in one direction/polarity.

Dielectric grease also won't help you, so try to remove that next time you're in there.

Are you sure that your other bulbs burned out?
How have you had "many" bulbs burn out? my elantra is from 2013 and I've never lost a tail light.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Are you sure that your other bulbs burned out?
How have you had "many" bulbs burn out? my elantra is from 2013 and I've never lost a tail light.
I see Elantras with dead tail lights seemingly every day. All US GLS 2013s and most 2012s have "DRL" that also light up the rear tail lights. I wonder if the guys with the dead tail lights are the guys that leave the light stalk in the DRL position during the day.

·
Registered
2007 Honda CRV
4,581 Posts
The first thing I would do is to clean up the sockets.
Then take test light and check for power and ground
You may need someone to turn lights on or press brake

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
To check brake lights by myself, I get a baseball bat and jam it between the brake pedal and the seat.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
I see Elantras with dead tail lights seemingly every day. All US GLS 2013s and most 2012s have "DRL" that also light up the rear tail lights. I wonder if the guys with the dead tail lights are the guys that leave the light stalk in the DRL position during the day.
Most any car with "DRL" will be seen with 2 dim (non-white) lights at front,, and NO TAIL LIGHTS...

Driver has to manually turn lights on for proper exterior lighting

·
Retired Staff
11,818 Posts

Same here, typically one brake light of three is working. I’ve replaced all of my exterior bulbs by now at least once but that is to be expected with a car over 5 years old.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I double checked the LED replacement bulbs and was able to get them to work by rotating them in the socket.
But after getting them to work the the tail light with red lens looked more orange, assume the LED is too bright.
So ending up using a standard bulb.
The other bulb that was out was in the clear back-up light. It seems OK with the LED.
So in total I have replaced about 8 different bulbs in the rear of the Elantra, and probably 6 in my 2013 Santa Fe.
I have owned other make cars, usually keep them 8-10 years, and never remember changing any bulbs.

·
Registered
19 Posts
You can buy red LEDs that have a nice, deep red color when installed in the tail lights. I had the same problem with white LEDs looking orange and swapped them out with red LEDs and they look much better.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts