Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, i have 2013 hyundai sonata with only 57k miles so recently i saw that my tail light was not turning on but brake light was perfectly working, so i thought i might have to change the bulb, so i bought the new bulb while changing it when i would put the new bulb in, the tail light would turn on but as soon i would move the wire or try to put the tail light back in the bulb would turn off, i only turns on when i push on the bulb, but as soon as i move it to but it back in it turns off, i thought it might be the bulb so i got another brand bulb and it did the same thing, brake light perfectly works only tail light would not turn on, i thing the wire is loose but its just a guess.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
3 thing to do..

1 - see the ground tab at side of socket,, bow it out so base of bulb has firmer contact

2 - bow 1 of the 2 contact at bottom of socket up to contact bulb better

3 - bow the other contact up so the other contact on bulb base contact better

Re-install bulb as intended.. see hi & low pin on base of bulb,, match that to the hi & low slot in the socket

·
Registered
907 Posts
There's 2 contacts in the bottom of the socket, what you need to do is take a hook or screwdriver and pry up the pin down in the socket that makes contact with that part of the bulb.

You should also replace your brake light bulbs with led.

These are what I use, they have a lifetime warranty.

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/SYLVANIA-ZEVO-2357-Contains-Bulbs/dp/B01A77TL3M[/ame]

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
I have the same bulbs as C4RN1. When I first tried replacing the stock bulbs, the base was so stuck in the socket, the bulb shattered. After cleaning it all out, bending up the pins and replacing with LED, no issues. Looks good, bright enough without blinding and still looks nice and red, not washed out at all.

Reactions: ballayre

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
There's 2 contacts in the bottom of the socket, what you need to do is take a hook or screwdriver and pry up the pin down in the socket that makes contact with that part of the bulb.

You should also replace your brake light bulbs with led.

These are what I use, they have a lifetime warranty.

https://www.amazon.com/SYLVANIA-ZEVO-2357-Contains-Bulbs/dp/B01A77TL3M
Any reason you went with the red, when white is cheaper...incase you break a lens? :nerd: (seems like a rip-off because red is cheaper to manufacture)

·
Registered
2007 Honda CRV
4,582 Posts
Find out what type of bulb it takes
Then ask the auto parts store for a socket for the bulb
They should have a replacement socket
Snip and strip wire ... use butt connectors to attach new socket
Put bulbs in and it should work

·
Registered
907 Posts
Any reason you went with the red, when white is cheaper...incase you break a lens? :nerd: (seems like a rip-off because red is cheaper to manufacture)
The bulbs are about $20 at an autoparts store. Not bad for a lifetime warranty led bulb if you ask me.

Using a red bulb with a red lens is just the correct way to do it.

red lens.jpg

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
Using a red bulb with a red lens is just the correct way to do it.
Fine for you...I don't buy it! You need a reason: if the lens gets broken; more intense; the color is pleasing to your inner being? >:D

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
You did look at his attached picture right? It shows the wavelength reason for choosing red over white.
...and this means what? The picture looks like selling hype to me. If it was important for safety, wouldn't they be red OEM?

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
...and this means what? The picture looks like selling hype to me. If it was important for safety, wouldn't they be red OEM?
You can't compare a halogen/incandescent bulb with a red coating to a red LED. Apples and kumquats.

Just like putting in headlights that "simulate" HID/Xenon with the blue covering over the bulb.

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
You can't compare a halogen/incandescent bulb with a red coating to a red LED. Apples and kumquats.

Just like putting in headlights that "simulate" HID/Xenon with the blue covering over the bulb.
Sorry, that seemed to come out of left field...I thought we were comparing white LED to red LED? That's what the "wave-length" graphic was showing.

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
Sorry, that seemed to come out of left field...I thought we were comparing white LED to red LED? That's what the "wave-length" graphic was showing.
I guess I read into your safety part.

Do a google search on "red versus white led" and it should pop up a bunch of stuff discussing the topic of how red LED light is brighter then white LED light through a red lense and why. Short story is C4RN1 is correct given same lumens of output per LED fixture.

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
I found nothing conclusive...some of examples with the red LED's looked very red, others looked like there was white light coming though similar to the white LED's! Also, I'd like to see examples of how they look 50 or 100 ft away...to see how they appear or blend together. Possibly, the white LED's may be more noticeable...I don't know.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
I contacted Diode Dynamics (site partner here) a bit back,, their reply was to use red diode in red lens

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
I contacted Diode Dynamics (site partner here) a bit back,, their reply was to use red diode in red lens
To make a profit, to make you more visible when stopping, to be more aesthetic to the eye...it's still not "clear"?
I'll quit now...thanks!

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
The way I took it is using a white LED with a red lens would make it look pale red, where red LED would maintain the rich red color when illuminated

Reactions: forgeinaz

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
The way I took it is using a white LED with a red lens would make it look pale red, where red LED would maintain the rich red color when illuminated
Which is what the websites indicate when you read them. Due to all wavelengths being projected ( but xx% being blocked) using xxx lumens. Then when you use a red only wavelength at xxx lumens almost zero is blocked by the lens.

Thanks for the input SBR (C4RN1). And Ill just indicate that @deadrx7conv signature is right on the money......

·
Registered
726 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Not to hijack the thread but how do you take out the harness?

I can unclip the first plug but it looks like there's another plug that clips into that and that's hooked onto the body.

I don't wanna manhandle it as I don't wanna break more stuff with my car (busted the bulb in the socket and busted the socket trying to get the bulb out).

Thanks in advance.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts