Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, hoping for some advice. Recently bought a 2014 i30 active and on the very first service my mechanic broke the tail light cover. He said he was not to blame and that the cover was brittle and they just slid out the cover and it snapped because it was brittle. Since it is not an old car, I would like to know whether this is reasonable. He has always been very honest and reliable but I am am not very happy about being charged $163 for a secondhand tail light when I’m really not convinced about the plausibility of the brittle tail gate theory. Anyone else have this problem?

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
Tail light cover? Isn't the light 1 piece? Bit premature to me but if it's spent it's life in the hot baking sun maybe. You could certainly make judgement with the bits that are left.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
It's these kinds of things that tell you your mechanic is NOT so honest.

·
Registered
12,445 Posts
Where is it broken? I bet it's at the forward section where the lamp unit clips into the body.
If so the mechanic has probably been trying to pry the lamp unit outwards off the car body when it is supposed to move rearwards.
And yes, lamp unit lenses are brittle. Brittle is just a characteristic of the polycarbonate material they are made from. It doesn't generally break though unless it's abused by a ham fisted mechanic with a pry bar. In my experience a mechanic + anything delicate = something broken 😧

1 - 4 of 4 Posts