Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2010 Accent, just 10,000 miles on it. Tachometer stopped working and now it will crank but not start. Any help appreciated.

·
Registered
13,346 Posts
2010 Accent, just 10,000 miles on it. Tachometer stopped working and now it will crank but not start. Any help appreciated.
Nothing else? No flashing MIL? Do all the dash lights light up?

Grounds on Hyundais are horrible. Check the battery cables. The main ground is under the battery tray. I scraped mine with the end of a hacksaw blade, reattached it and liberally coated it with dielectric grease.

May be your issue, may not. As I mentioned in another thread, grounds are funny. If the circuit cannot reach ground normally, it will go through something else, sometimes with surprising, or, devastating effects...

There is also a strap on the passenger's side that grounds to the strut tower, and this ground is also horrible. Also check the connector on the ECU. If reaching under the hood for something else (like brake/clutch fluid) the clamp can be nudged and the connector loosened.

Hopefully it will be something simple. Good luck.

·
Registered
2007 Honda CRV
4,414 Posts
Hyundais have something called an ignition failure sensor
This sensor is part of the tach or feeds the tach display
It doesn't usually cause a no start condition
My suspicion is that the tach not working was just part of the engine stalling
Won't know until the engine is started again.

So back to basics
Check the sparks at the plug wires
Check for injector signal
Check for fuel ... well, you should have a general idea of where this is going ...

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
14,367 Posts
Hyundais have something called an ignition failure sensor
This sensor is part of the tach or feeds the tach display.
Some OLD Hyundais had something called an ignition failure sensor and it was only used on certain engine management systems. The OP's car is way to modern to have one of those.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
I am in for bum Crank Position Sensor.. see a random couple a yr

·
Registered
2007 Honda CRV
4,414 Posts
Some OLD Hyundais had something called an ignition failure sensor and it was only used on certain engine management systems. The OP's car is way to modern to have one of those.
So, the engineers changed another thing ... okay.
So it could now be part of the ECU which means another thing that can break down and cost lots of money!!

Oh, I do wish that new members would take the time to fill out their profile
It would make things a little easier to see what they drive (type of engine)
and where they are in the world

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
14,367 Posts
So, the engineers changed another thing ... okay.
So it could now be part of the ECU which means another thing that can break down and cost lots of money!!
Like all cars manufactured these days, the Accent tachometer is driven by the engine PCM in response to the crank position sensor signal, so as SBR711 says, the crank sensor would be a prime suspect.

But don't forget to make sure that the engine check light comes on when you turn the ignition on. It would also be worth connecting a scan tool too. Not to check for codes but more just to make sure the tool is able to communicate with the engine PCM.

·
Registered
1 Posts

I'm in South Africa, and I have a 2011 Hyundai Accent. The issue you've described, is EXACTLY what I've been experiencing with my car, since December 2019.

Only this month, have I taken it for a diagnostic test because the failure of the ignition to start, intermittently, was REALLY working on my nerves. When I took it to different workshops for an opinion, the car would start perfectly 🙄. A diagnostic test showed that the crank position sensor is faulty, and needs to be replaced.

I CANNOT actually believe that people in other continents, have experienced the same issue I've had, with their Hyundai vehicles.

How did you eventually get your car's issue sorted out? What was found to be the issue?
Like all cars manufactured these days, the Accent tachometer is driven by the engine PCM in response to the crank position sensor signal, so as SBR711 says, the crank sensor would be a prime suspect.

But don't forget to make sure that the engine check light comes on when you turn the ignition on. It would also be worth connecting a scan tool too. Not to check for codes but more just to make sure the tool is able to communicate with the engine PCM.
Crank position sensor is spot on! That's the current issue with MY 2011 Hyundai Accent! It's taken 3 months to finally get confirmation of what the issue is.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts