Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got an old 8in tablet I'd like to mount in my car for GPS/Nav.
I have access to a 3D printer so I can make some simple custom parts myself.

My first though was removing the radio and the mount it in place. That would be ideal to reduce the chances of my tablet getting stolen if I leave it in the car. I've seen DIN mounts for sale. However, I think the tablet is simply too large.

There are vent mounts but I do not want to block my vents.

There are CD mounts and ones which mount in the storage area. I don't want to lose my storage area. The CD mount may work but most CD mounts are design to have the tablet sit above. This would be a pretty high on the sonata. Most cars have the vents on top and the radio below. The sonata is swapped with the radio on top and the vents below.

Ideally, I'd like it mounted in front of the radio since it is basically replacing it. I've seen some mounts that shove something in between the trim and I guess use the friction to stay in place. I'm not sure if that would damage the trim.

What do you guys use?

·
Registered
882 Posts
I'm using garmin navigation and mount on the windshield. So far so good. You can replace stereo with some aftermarket double DIN stereo, they come with mounting bolt holes so they can stay on

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I haven't had much luck with windshield mounts. They always fall off eventually at the worst times. I also don't like anything obstructing the windshield or bringing unneeded attention to my car.

I mentioned aftermarket DIN mounts but my tablet is an 8in tablet so I think its too big

·
Registered
407 Posts
In 2013 I installed a Chinese 2Din radio. All the remote steering wheel controls are functional, no interface unit needed. It have a back up cam and I also could install a forward looking cam.

Sound is awesome. Everything still working perfect.

Price $169 Canadian at the time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts