Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my 2017 Santa Fe got t-boned last Tuesday by a young driver who ran a red light. My wife was in the car alone during the accident so I do not have all the details. She was pretty shaken by the airbags exploding, the car spinning 180 deg, and the fact that she could not open the door afterwards.

The speed limit on that road is 50mph, so it may have been what the other car (2017 Ford Focus) was driving.

The impact was in the rear driver-side door and the wheel.

My concern is that probably the frame got bent because there is a big dent on the other side on the roof rail.

The suv obviously was not hit on that side so it must be a result of the whole car structure bending.

Another concern is: if they decide to fix the car, how likely is that the differential is damaged in some way (it is an AWD model).

Any thoughts?

I will put some more info about the insurance process later. today.

·
Banned
7,039 Posts
The lower at pillar and the roof are both areas that must be repaired. 2017 I assume you have coverage.....other persons coverage should pay your deductible. I'm sure they will not total it.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Glad to hear she was ok. People sometimes harder to fix....and replace.

SUV did it’s job absorbing impact. Technically most suv are unibody so only a subframe for the engine transmission cradle at front.

Accident at back of vehicle are usually easier to fix and less likely to write off car. Won’ t impact handling as much.

The awd I dont think should be an issue, especially if it was towed and not driven.

I think they will want to fix it, but milage and various other factors involved.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am trying to get it handled by the other person's insurance (Progressive) because she was at fault.
So far, they say that they cannot get hold of her for a recorded statement and they cannot proceed until they have that.

I have had bad experience with collision repair in the past. I used a place recommended by my insurer - so that was my fault about not researching.
They seemed to focus on what was visible, and did not care about other car systems that may have been damaged.
For example, in one case, we had a previous rear end collision with this same Santa Fe and they did not do alignment afterwards ("oh, we never do that with small collisions").
I only noticed that it was not done after my tires were shot from uneven wear. Took it to have alignment done, and it was completely out of whack on all 4 wheels.
Also trim pieces fell off the car because they were not fastened, just pushed in place.

·
Registered
657 Posts
The speed limit on that road is 50mph, so it may have been what the other car (2017 Ford Focus) was driving.
If she was to be hit by 1.5 ton object going at 80km/h, car will be flipped over and most likely disintegrated.

Did she pause 1-2 sec before entering intersection or she just punched it at green?

Lesson learned; even though you drive SUV you are not in a tank.

I am glad she is OK, shaken a bit; she will drive like 'old lady' from now on, I hope...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If she was to be hit by 1.5 ton object going at 80km/h, car will be flipped over and most likely disintegrated.

Did she pause 1-2 sec before entering intersection or she just punched it at green?

Lesson learned; even though you drive SUV you are not in a tank.

I am glad she is OK, shaken a bit; she will drive like 'old lady' from now on, I hope...
She has always been driving like an old lady, even when she was 25.

·
Registered
270 Posts
based on a similar accident and what the adjuster told us if the floor or the roof is buckled they have to remove the body to repair it right and nobody does that so the car will be totaled and the old ruling was if you hit someone behind the front fender you did'nt have control of your car so it should be undisputibly the other drivers responsibility. keep us updated i'm curious to see how progressive is on the other side of the dealings.

·
Banned
7,039 Posts
I am trying to get it handled by the other person's insurance (Progressive) because she was at fault.
So far, they say that they cannot get hold of her for a recorded statement and they cannot proceed until they have that.

I have had bad experience with collision repair in the past. I used a place recommended by my insurer - so that was my fault about not researching.
They seemed to focus on what was visible, and did not care about other car systems that may have been damaged.
For example, in one case, we had a previous rear end collision with this same Santa Fe and they did not do alignment afterwards ("oh, we never do that with small collisions").
I only noticed that it was not done after my tires were shot from uneven wear. Took it to have alignment done, and it was completely out of whack on all 4 wheels.
Also trim pieces fell off the car because they were not fastened, just pushed in place.
I always tell customers to take it to the body shop they know and like, NEVER use the place the insurance company recommends, ESPECIALLY Progressive. In the early years it was worse than pulling teeth trying to get them to pay for 'unseen damage'. In the mid 70's thru the 80's with so much plastic and lightweight materials it was not easy to see all the damage until you started removing panels, pieces etc. Also with the onset of computers and associated wiring it was not easy to tell just how much electrical damage there was. We and many other shops stopped accepting vehicles covered by Progressive. Of coarse this was before Flo...:grin2: We started using them again after they lost so many repair facilities and restructured the way they did business they were much easier to deal with and get paid. I don't remember when they started sending out their own people to do estimates but they were pretty well trained and didn't miss much.
Well after such a diatribe I guess I should sum this up.

Take it to a different shop than you did before. :laugh:

·
Banned
7,039 Posts
BTW....I hope you had a police report done.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Fella says "body off frame" ??

Santa Fe is prety much body and frame as an assembly,, just a pile of folded sheet steel all welded together.

DO NOT ALLOW an insurer to steer you to body shop,,, it your car, you choose the body shop..

To me, body shop and insurance is a sham,, shop want factory parts, insurance want discount made in Taiwan or other 3rd world country discount parts,, then in most instance, body shop is HACK work,,, I see it all the time with cars that come in for service..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Police report shows clearly the other driver at fault, that is why I decided to try to go through their insurance (which is Progressive).

My Santa Fe was Unit 2, their Ford Focus was Unit 1 on the report.

BTW, forgot to mention that Bluelink turned out to be really useful. They got alerted by the car and were able to speak to my wife right after the accident. It took a while for her to find the cellphone, which was flung during the accident.

·
Registered
367 Posts
No sure as I'm new to Hyundai ownership, however, I'm guessing your SUV is a unibody. A unibody is exactly what the name suggests, it's a vehicle that the body and the "frame" are all one piece. You cannot remove the body from the frame as they are integrated, not separate major components of the vehicle.

·
Banned
7,039 Posts
Police report shows clearly the other driver at fault, that is why I decided to try to go through their insurance (which is Progressive).

My Santa Fe was Unit 2, their Ford Focus was Unit 1 on the report.

BTW, forgot to mention that Bluelink turned out to be really useful. They got alerted by the car and were able to speak to my wife right after the accident. It took a while for her to find the cellphone, which was flung during the accident.
That is all the insurance needs. They should provide you a loner also. Take it to a place you trust.
Bluelink is nice. Helps having the phone connected or in reach....

·
Registered
270 Posts
No sure as I'm new to Hyundai ownership, however, I'm guessing your SUV is a unibody. A unibody is exactly what the name suggests, it's a vehicle that the body and the "frame" are all one piece. You cannot remove the body from the frame as they are integrated, not separate major components of the vehicle.
that makes the situation even more favorable. you want this car totaled. i know i would'nt want it back. carfax will show 2 accidents and will decrease it's trade in value.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I found a drawing showing the frame structure of Santa Fe (sport).

You can see here that rear suspension mounts to the pink section of 150K psi steel. That is why the suv can handle so much impact to the rear wheel without much visible damage. However, 150K psi steel once bent is almost impossible to pull back. It would lose its strength if heated. OEMs usually require that these pieces are cut out and replaced.

Another thing I noticed is that the dent on the passenger side roof rail happened right where the orange 100K psi steel transitions to normal steel.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Neat diagram I’ve never seen before, lots of engineering in car safety for sure. Those NHTSA crash tests aren’t a waste of time.

If they make you a decent offer I would take the cash. Even completely honest decent body shops have a hard time fixing stuff properly sometimes.... IMO.

Plus the depcreciation issues like the OP’s are saying.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Two week update:

Last week Wednesday Progressive accepted responsibility for their driver, and gave us a rental car.
However, they are slow in sending an estimator to have a look at my Santa Fe.
I was told that the estimator would go to see the car last week, but I have not heard anything from them so far.
So, still no idea if they are going to fix it or total it.
My calls to a progressive agent assigned to the case predictably go to a voicemail.

At least someone assigned to handle the medical part of the case seems to be more responsive, and has already been in contact with my wife.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So the SUV was totaled yesterday.
Already got the final settlement check.
They valued the SUV pretty fairly, in line with what similar used Santa Fes are priced + sales tax.

They will be taking it to the Auto Auction In Justin, TX.

I may lookup the auction site to see for how much it will sell there.

Time to look for a replacement. I liked my Santa Fe, except for the sticky/zigzagging steering issue.

·
Banned
7,039 Posts
Glad they got it straightened out for you. I knew the damage to the lower area behind the B pillar was going to be expensive as well as the roof being it's 100K but I didn't think it would total. Must have been a bit more damage I didn't see. At any rate be glad they totaled it. Your resale value would be greatly impacted by the accident if you were to resale it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts