Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Forum,
just got T-boned yesterday. The rear passenger door is smashed in. car still drives. I am looking into repairs.
What is a reasonable cost estimate to replace and install a new door (assuming the damage is not more extensive than that)?
I also looked on craigslist and saw many Hyundai's being "parted out." If I bought something like that that I could attempt to put on myself, what would be a reasonable price?
Last question...how hard is it to install a door? I am a tech in a different industry so I have *some* knowledge of tools and how to use them, but dont do car repair.
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Hi Forum,
just got T-boned yesterday. The rear passenger door is smashed in. car still drives. I am looking into repairs.
What is a reasonable cost estimate to replace and install a new door (assuming the damage is not more extensive than that)?
I also looked on craigslist and saw many Hyundai's being "parted out." If I bought something like that that I could attempt to put on myself, what would be a reasonable price?
Last question...how hard is it to install a door? I am a tech in a different industry so I have *some* knowledge of tools and how to use them, but dont do car repair.
Thanks!
I think I'd let a collision repair shop look at it, the unibody frame could be tweaked, I don't think it takes much of a whack to put the frame out of alignment. Isn't there any insurance to make a claim for any needed repair? Anyway, I don't think hanging a new door would be too hard, providing nothing is bent, just a little fiddley(sp) to get it aligned. Let us know how it comes out, whatever the resolution. cheers.

·
6,836 Posts
Frankie, that sucks! IDK if you're in the Portland area, but there are some decent scrap yards around; I sold one of my old rides to one of them for parts one time. I'm sure you'd have no trouble finding Elantra parts.

As Easy Rider and swduncan inquired, why are you paying out of pocket (if you are)? Did the offender and you both not have insurance?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
pics

IMG_1174[1].jpg
let me see if this pic works...
as to why I'm looking to do this repair myself: both myself and the other car have valid insurance. But my deductible is $500. The accident happened when I *thought* I was making a safe left turn. I was wrong. Now I feel like Zoolander. I just cant turn left. Is there a way to only make right turns for the rest of your life? haha.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
right side up

here's a pic you wont have to crane your neck to see.
my poor ole girl.jpg
I'm afraid the damage is worse than I thought. The front door wont close, so I think that means the post is bent.

·
Registered
262 Posts
it looks frame is bit bent and i would not suggest fixing it just get another but take it to bodyshop and let them take a look at it and see how much they offering you from there decide if you want to fix it of get another one

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
More than likely the frame is bent. You probably have several thousand dollars there to get it fixed to pre-collision condition :(

Sorry

·
Registered
283 Posts
You probably have several thousand dollars there to get it fixed to pre-collision condition :(

Sorry
+1

It looks like its hurting more than just a door.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I agree with taking it to a ( few ) shops to get a detailed estimate. That way you would have a better idea of damage and weather or not to try to do it yourself.

·
Banned
1,850 Posts
But my deductible is $500.
There is no WAY that you are going to get by with less than $500 to fix both vehicles. The airbag in the other car alone will cost about that much.

Therefore you should let the insurance handle it.

And what if the other driver starts getting neck pain next week......??

P.S. Yes, you can go PAST the street that you need to turn left on and then make the next 3 rights (assuming that there are no freeways or one-way streets involved).

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
Get a quote from a reputable body shop first to see if the car is actually considered totaled, then do your research and find out what your car is worth private party value (in pre-loss condition) and try to get them as close to that figure as possible. Naturally they're going to lowball you and hope you take that pathetically low offer...don't do it. If the front door fit is affected, then I'm betting you it's probably a write-off. Modern cars and their unibodies absorb damage in ways not visible to the naked eye and while they're safer, they're VERY expensive to repair and repair properly.

·
Banned
998 Posts
fender went in, the wheel looks like not in place and it took some hit.

It will cost more to fix than the car was worth before the accident.

Check the frame, IF it is OK, and suspension can be repaired (I am sure it got bent) for reasonable money, you might get some door from other car and replace it yourself. Without paint you might still be able to drive it, IF, again, the FRAME is OK.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
bad news

thinking of going "mom and pop" and doing a crappy job on the repair. Most responders have said they believe the frame is bent, I believe that too and so does my mechanic! Cost to repair is more than 40% cost of blue-book value (totaled).
I want to replace the door and just drive a jacked-up car. I know it's not that safe to do that, but I'm one of those pathetic people caught in the recession and JUST GOT A JOB LAST MONTH!!! so you can bet I'm not buying a new car.
At this point, really just feeling guilty that I didn't treat my poor Hyundai right. She was a good ole girl who could've lasted a decade.

·
6,836 Posts
Aw shucks, I'm sorry to hear about your situation, frankie. I'm glad you got a job, but I understand how difficult times are. Don't beat yourself up about the accident. We all make mistakes. I've been in a couple of parking lot collisions that were my fault, although did less damage; my brother has been in a few bigger ones (always his fault for some reason; I'd swear he's super smart, but a bit of an airhead behind the wheel. :rolleyes:)

Anyhow, so I understand that you want to keep driving the car, and I guess that's your choice. Just keep in mind that if the frame is tweaked, it could cause future problems with suspension and uneven tire wear, just for starters. Like I said, a friend of mine had a blowout due to a similar situation. As soon as you can save more dough, I'd be trading her in for something else.

·
Banned
998 Posts
This is what insurance is for. I know low on budget... but it would pay off now.

OK, here is what you can do.

Get the car measured. At least full alignment. If this comes out OK, or within specs, maybe 1-2 mm or degrees off - you should be good for some time.

Handling, as Fashionista mentioned, is one thing. Bent frame may cause your car to become driving bomb. Just waiting to explode. Especially on slippery roads, or in critical situation (you slam the brakes and the car spins around...).
Finally, bent frame, is weaken. That means that another collision, that would end up with no injuries in "good car", may result in much more drama in your case.

So again, I understand hard situation, but what point is to put your life at stake? You loose your health - you got no job. You got no job... you know what next.

·
Banned
1,850 Posts
thinking of going "mom and pop" and doing a crappy job on the repair
Well you have to be practical.

IF the door won't leak water when it rains.....AND it doesn't seem to be handling poorly.....AND you don't ever need to go above 45 MPH or so......and you don't mind driving a beater for a while......then just do it.

But who is paying for the other guys damage......and how ??

IF your deductible is per INCIDENT, you might be stressing over this unnecessarily.......as your out of pocket might be the same if you fix one car or two. Might.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hi Forum,
My insurance is good and if need be it will cover both cars for the one deductible. Because I had a "good driver discount" I had put that extra cash back into the policy so mine is better than barely legal coverage. The accident is so far being ruled as being both of our faults, but a bit more mine (51%????). I still havent heard if Blue Steel (that was her name BEFORE I learned I cant turn left! haha!) is totaled or not, but I am following insurance's recommendation to take her to their shop where she will be either totaled or good as new.
I have appreciated your comments and you are right about an unsafe car. Since I still dont know the outcome, I'm not sure what will happen. BUT I am uninjured because I had such a good car and I am thankful for that. It would be tempting fate to then drive an unsafe car. I will either get a used one that hasn't been in an accident or see about payment plans.
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU for all your advice. You guys are the best.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts