Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anybody has done a synthetic transmission fluid change? If so, did it make the shifting a lot smoother/easier.

I'm thinking about doing this, even though my car only has less than 200 km's so far. I had synthetic transmission fluid on my previous car, and I can say without a doubt, the shifting was smoother than the GT. That car was almost 10 years old as well. However I changed the fluid on my previous car every year though (yes, overkill, I know). Right now, the shifting is fine. However, I think it could be better.

From my search on google. It seems like redline MT-85 would be the correct fluid to use.

Anybody currently using redline MT-85 on their GT?

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Unless this fluid is an approved replacement by Hyundai you could lose your warranty if you have a problem with the transmission.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
Unless this fluid is an approved replacement by Hyundai you could lose your warranty if you have a problem with the transmission.
eh that's more of a yes and no. hyundai can specify the oil specifications (oil weight, type, spec, etc) but they can't approve specific oils. there are laws against that actually.

however if the OP is to put the oil of the wrong spec in his car and there is damage (such as putting in a GL-5 gear oil when the spec is GL-4 on my old accent) then yes he would void is warranty.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I'll probably go redline in the spring
I did that on my Mazda 6, went with MT-90 and the difference in shifting "smoothness" was very evident.

I was wondering about this (same as OP) myself, just didn't know which weight and quantity of qts needed.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Scroll the LC and MC ACCENT forum.. Redline M/T 85 come up a number of times, recent topic where i rounded up a couple past topics and provided links inside.

·
Registered
282 Posts
That's not true.

eh that's more of a yes and no. hyundai can specify the oil specifications (oil weight, type, spec, etc) but they can't approve specific oils. there are laws against that actually.

however if the OP is to put the oil of the wrong spec in his car and there is damage (such as putting in a GL-5 gear oil when the spec is GL-4 on my old accent) then yes he would void is warranty.
This is true.

I'm pretty sure the owners manual states a recommended oil of Quaker State (probably because they get a deal through them and cheap advertising) but it doesn't really matter. However, it might if you use, lets say...Forumla 1 crap from Canadian Tire which is like $3.00 a liter (cheap/crap oil)

I am using Royal Purple Synthetic 5W20 in my Elantra GT since new. Yes, it can be a waste changing it every 6,000km as the manual states, but the dealer also says it's okay to push for an extra 2,000 - 4,000 on a Synthetic oil change.

Always, always ask you dealer and get it written or typed on a work order to CYOA (cover your own ass) in case you ever need warranty work. Oh, and use an OEM filter...they are like $9. Cheap security if you have a DIY oil change.

Going off topic...I'll stop now. I am switching to Redline MTF soon (once it get's shipped from my sponsor) Never had any issues with it. Besides, you will only get the best life out of your car if you take care of it with quality products.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Scroll the LC and MC ACCENT forum.. Redline M/T 85 come up a number of times, recent topic where i rounded up a couple past topics and provided links inside.
Ok, I'll look that up later. thanks.

I am switching to Redline MTF soon (once it get's shipped from my sponsor) Never had any issues with it. Besides, you will only get the best life out of your car if you take care of it with quality products.
Would mind doing a DIY? and maybe your thoughts a few weeks after you change it. I think I might wait until the spring time to do mine.

·
Registered
660 Posts
T have used Redline gear oil in several cars. I just ordered 3 quarts of 75W90 to put in my transfer case when I have my 7,500 mile maintenance done in a week or two.

I know it is not due then, I just want that swapped out now after changing out me gear cable bushings and shifter bushings out to solid bushings as well as the short shifter install. The Synthetic oil in the tranny will top it all off like icing on a cake.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I gladly replace anything in my car if it improves the life and performance of it.

The dealer has to prove that the product you put in caused the failure of the warrantied item.

This is information directly from the Red Line website.

Q: Will using Red Line products void my vehicle's factory warranty?

Using the appropriate Red Line product shouldn't invalidate your vehicle's warranty and question the mechanic or service manager that says so.

MT-85 75W85 GL-4 Gear Oil

Recommended for Nissan 350Z and 370Z (also most Maxima, Altima & Sentra), Mitsubishi Evolution, Hyundai, and Kia applications.

Many NV4500 truck transmission applications like Chevy Silverado and Dodge Ram, for Chrysler spec MS-9070.

Safe for brass synchros, as it lacks the reactive sulfurs found in most GL-5 oils that cause damage.

Offers quicker shifts, perfect synchronizer coefficient of friction
Eliminates notchy shifting, even when cold.

High performance gear protection and longer synchro life.

Recommended for GL-1, GL-3 and GL-4 applications as well as where most special synchromesh fluids are specified.

Satisifies the gear oil viscosity requirements of 75W, 80W, 85W and motor oil viscosities of SAE 30 and 5W30.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok, so I've decided I'm going to do this in the spring time.

This is the procedure I used on my previous car to change the oil.

1) make sure car is on a level surface, I'll probably be using a hoist at my cousins shop
2) find and remove fill bolt
3) find and remove drain bolt
4) after all oil is drained, put drain bolt back in, with a new crush washer
5) fill oil in fill hole
6) when oil starts overflowing out of fill hole, put fill bolt back in, with a new crush washer

So this what I did on my last car. Can anybody confirm that its the same on this car? If not, please mention anything else I need to do.

Thanks.

Btw, it will be redline mt-85, and I'll buy 3 quarts just to be on the safe side. I can always return an unused bottle.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Im thinking of switching to redline D4 ATF in the spring, see if it will smooth out the sport mode shifting.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Is this only for manual transmission or is this something automatic users can actually benefit from?

·
Registered
560 Posts
Better fluid is always better for the tranny - regardless if you row your own gears! Just choose the right ATF! :)

·
Registered
672 Posts
Looking around for a synthetic ATF that meets Hyundai specs (SP-IV) but all I can seem to find is III. Worried about the warranty.

I'm intrigued by this fluid upgrade; no specific problems, but there seems to be a lot of good reviews on this fluid swap. I probably won't do it though if I can't put something in there that Hyundai won't hassle me about.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Looking around for a synthetic ATF that meets Hyundai specs (SP-IV) but all I can seem to find is III. Worried about the warranty.

I'm intrigued by this fluid upgrade; no specific problems, but there seems to be a lot of good reviews on this fluid swap. I probably won't do it though if I can't put something in there that Hyundai won't hassle me about.

Comparing to Manual trans, Auto trans is more complicating, especially in Hyundai's. I would stick with OEM ATF.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Comparing to Manual trans, Auto trans is more complicating, especially in Hyundai's. I would stick with OEM ATF.
Strongly agree
But why change oil so early ??? normally trans fluid is changed at 60K or 100K sounds like a waste of money

1 - 20 of 21 Posts