Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody, I have 2009 accent 5 speed and I was wondering what type of fluid the tranny takes. I was thinking royal purple but I'm not really sure what weight it takes.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Use OEM stuff to preserve the warranty.
The OEM fluid is 75w85, API GL4. It states in the owners manual that fluid meeting this specification may be used, and won't void the warranty. Keep your reciept to prove it was changed.

A manufacture can only force you to use their fluids if they are provided to you at no charge or the fluid is "lifetime" no service required, they cannot force you to purchase it.....otherwise this would be a monopoly, and they could charge you $1,000,000/liter, and you would have no choice but to buy it.

If the manufacture denies a warranty repair, and claims it is the fluid that caused it, then it is up to Hyundai to prove that the "other" fluid manufacture is making an inferior product, and therefor caused the damage. Then sit back and watch the slander, lieble, and wrongful accusations fly from the "other" manufacture. As long as the fluid specifications meet the OEM requirement (75w85 API GL4) then use with confidence.

I plan on using Redline 75w85 in mine this year when it is changed

Duro

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
The OEM fluid is 75w85, API GL4. It states in the owners manual that fluid meeting this specification may be used, and won't void the warranty. Keep your reciept to prove it was changed.

A manufacture can only force you to use their fluids if they are provided to you at no charge or the fluid is "lifetime" no service required, they cannot force you to purchase it.....otherwise this would be a monopoly, and they could charge you $1,000,000/liter, and you would have no choice but to buy it.

If the manufacture denies a warranty repair, and claims it is the fluid that caused it, then it is up to Hyundai to prove that the "other" fluid manufacture is making an inferior product, and therefor caused the damage. Then sit back and watch the slander, lieble, and wrongful accusations fly from the "other" manufacture. As long as the fluid specifications meet the OEM requirement (75w85 API GL4) then use with confidence.

I plan on using Redline 75w85 in mine this year when it is changed

Duro
Good point! Same reason manufacturers can't force you to service your vehicle with them, monopoly!

However, they do everything they can to make you feel like you have to use their products and services lol

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey guys thanks for the nice reception! I plan(plan mind you) of doing some modifications on my car. Is this redline superior to the royal purple brand or do they both meet the requirements? And I assume I just have to drain the old fluid and put in the new correct?

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Hey guys thanks for the nice reception! I plan(plan mind you) of doing some modifications on my car. Is this redline superior to the royal purple brand or do they both meet the requirements? And I assume I just have to drain the old fluid and put in the new correct?
I don't know how they compare but I'm sure they beat the cheap OEM stuff.

Yes, just drain and fill.

HMAservice.com has the procedure I think. Registration is free.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I've never touched my transmission or fluid, but thanks to this forum, I know that if I ever have it done by someone else, to tell them to NOT flush it.

·
Registered
4,624 Posts
I've never touched my transmission or fluid, but thanks to this forum, I know that if I ever have it done by someone else, to tell them to NOT flush it.
Every now and then we actually accomplish something in a thread :D lol :trophy: to all of us

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
I was looking at the Royal Purple website. They don't make a 75w-85.

"Max Gear is available in the following viscosities: 75W-90, 75W-140, 80W-90, 85W-140 and SAE 90"

I suppose the 75w-85 will work okay, it's just not spec.

I had standard 80w-90 in there for a while. It seemed to work okay, a little stiff in the cold.

·
Registered
97 Posts
You need to be careful that you only use GL4 manual transmission fluid. The additives in GL5 cause problems with the synchronization parts. I have read that it has something to do with the brass rings used in the transmission that the GL5 additives do a number on. Amsoil sells a 75W90 GL4 synthetic that I will be using when I do my transmission fluid change this spring.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
I have read that it has something to do with the brass rings used in the transmission that the GL5 additives do a number on.
I heard it in HYUNDAI Manual Transmission Class at training facility from instructor' mouth...

GL5 has sulphur content that will destroy the brass synchro rings.

I have a co-worker that insist on using the Hyundai bottled 75-90 which is GL-5 is correct oil per old bulletin showing change of part number for the GL4 oil ,,, he has not put it together that the stuff he is using is wrong, even via part number on bottle and bulletin, as Hyundai used to use 75-90 GL-4 until they stop and went 75/85.. he just see the 75-90 description.. I'm not arguing it with him any more.. so if you have M/T work or clutch done at dealer, inspect your invoice' parts list and make sure the 75/85 GL4 oil was used for refill.

·
Registered
866 Posts
I heard it in HYUNDAI Manual Transmission Class at training facility from instructor' mouth...

GL5 has sulphur content that will destroy the brass synchro rings.

I have a co-worker that insist on using the Hyundai bottled 75-90 which is GL-5 is correct oil per old bulletin showing change of part number for the GL4 oil ,,, he has not put it together that the stuff he is using is wrong, even via part number on bottle and bulletin, as Hyundai used to use 75-90 GL-4 until they stop and went 75/85.. he just see the 75-90 description.. I'm not arguing it with him any more.. so if you have M/T work or clutch done at dealer, inspect your invoice' parts list and make sure the 75/85 GL4 oil was used for refill.
100% correct

GL5 has a high sulfur anti-wear content that is acually eats brass syncro rings thus why it is designed for differentials with no brass, and higher shear stresses, high torque conditions

GL4 is designed for manual tranmissions with spirel-bevel cut gears, or light duty hypoid cut gears

Duro

1 - 15 of 15 Posts