Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
Have any of you changed over to sythetic oil? My dealer only recommends doing so after about 5000 miles.

·
Registered
945 Posts
QUOTE (Stevies3 @ Dec 18 2010, 10:47 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=381158
Hi
Have any of you changed over to sythetic oil? My dealer only recommends doing so after about 5000 miles.
I'm going to switch to Amsoil around 2,500 miles only because I want to get it in there as soon as possible, has nothing to do with how far I can go with the oil thats in there now. If you have a turbo I would recommend the 5/40 because of the heat generated in the turbo bearing and housing.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
There's a theory that an engine won't break in on synthetic oil. I plan on using synthetic after I redeem my $10 oil change from the dealer. I like the extended drain intervals with synthetics.

·
Registered
945 Posts
QUOTE (sngldad @ Dec 18 2010, 03:36 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=381214
There's a theory that an engine won't break in on synthetic oil. I plan on using synthetic after I redeem my $10 oil change from the dealer. I like the extended drain intervals with synthetics.
There is nothing in the engine that this applies to except the piston rings. Other products like Prolong additive for example is so slippery they donot recommend using it in a brand new engine because the piston rings wont seat. Put a thousand miles on it and your good to go if you use prolong.

B

·
0 Posts
Did you know that most (essentially all, AFAIK) 5W20s are at least semi-synthetic? To answer your question, yes, I switched our Sonata over to 'synthetic' (big letters on the front of the bottle :) ) a couple weeks after we took delivery. Car did have ~2,000 miles on it by then, though.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Just had my 1st complimentary free oil change today from my dealer. Was planning on switching over to synthetic at my next oil change at 6K miles. What's the best recommendation type of synthetic oil to use in these YF Sonata's???

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Any name brand API SM or higher. 5w-20 or 5w-30. I have a stash of Pennzoil Platinum that I plan on using up.

·
Registered
945 Posts
QUOTE (Johnzz1420 @ Dec 18 2010, 06:57 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=381251
Just had my 1st complimentary free oil change today from my dealer. Was planning on switching over to synthetic at my next oil change at 6K miles. What's the best recommendation type of synthetic oil to use in these YF Sonata's???
Depends on whether you want to have extended drain intervals or not. Sound like you have set up with the dealer for the 5 year 60,000 mile free oil changes. If you want to stick with a 7,500 mile oil change and you want to use full synthetic oil just bring in the oil of your choice to the dealer and have them use that instead of what they would normally put in. But, I would say to them that I want to watch the mechanic pour my oil in the engine!

B

·
0 Posts
I decided that maybe I should offer this for people:

The newest oil standards are SN and GF-5. They have replaced SM and GF-4, and are higher-performance standards. October 1 was the first date that SN could be put on labels, so if you're looking for 'the best,' I suggest looking for the new standards. GF-5 in particular is a definite and noticeable advancement.

A pretty cool performance comparison graphy-thingy can be found on Lubrizol's site (they're a huge additive supplier) here:
http://sas-origin.onstreammedia.com/origin...p/pc/index.html

·
Registered
67 Posts
switched to 5w-30 100% synthetic after 2400 miles. No problems. I changed it again at 15,000 miles. Drain interval is 1 year or 25,000 miles. I like doing it every 6 months no matter.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I switched to Mobil 1 5W-30 at 2900 miles. I put 5400 miles on that oil and got a very favorable oil analysis report, which I posted here:

http://www.hyundai-forums.com/t54930-oil-analysis-posted.htm

When I drained the Mobil 1 5W-30, I put in Mobil 1 5W-30 Extended (not so much for it's extended drain marketing but because it is a true all-synthetic oil) and I intend to settle on 7500 mile intervals. I'm sure that oil can go further with my type of driving, but I'll stick to 7500, which is the max Hyundai allows.

·
Banned
1,090 Posts
For oil info, check this website: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/cms/

You'll see actual data on what happens with oil. To keep it short, there's no need to stress over the oil to put in. Spending double the money does not give you double anything.The guy spending $80 and the guy spending $30 on oil will not have a better, cleaner, faster engine, nor will all other claims people make to excuse the cost. Of all things, oil is lower on the list of things to pay extra attention to. A good oil filter is far more important than Quaker State vs. Royal Purple.

·
Registered
945 Posts
QUOTE (destro @ Dec 19 2010, 07:59 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=381383
For oil info, check this website: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/cms/

You'll see actual data on what happens with oil. To keep it short, there's no need to stress over the oil to put in. Spending double the money does not give you double anything.The guy spending $80 and the guy spending $30 on oil will not have a better, cleaner, faster engine, nor will all other claims people make to excuse the cost. Of all things, oil is lower on the list of things to pay extra attention to. A good oil filter is far more important than Quaker State vs. Royal Purple.
Both oil and filter are equally important. Using the right Full Synthetic and a filter with good filtering capabilities and high efficiency is more important than just the filter alone. Watch this video, hopefully it will educate everyone on whether full synthetic oils are right for you because you may not want to use synthetics. So watch the video on the right side of the this link.
http://bestsyntheticoil.com/amsoil-synthet...tive-engineers/

·
Registered
365 Posts
I will be using a Wix oil filter and Mobil One Synthetic oil for my car. I have had good luck with this combination in the past. I don't care for Fram filters. I plan on going up to 5k miles between changes unless I see some excess dirt when I check the oil.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Just for your information and consideration:

The SAE paper summarizes the test results with the following conclusions:

"Abrasive engine wear can be substantially reduced with an increase in filter single pass efficiency. Compared to a 40µ filter, engine wear was reduced by 50% with 30µ filtration. Likewise, wear was reduced by 70% with 15µ filtration."

"Controlling the abrasive contaminants in the range of 2 to 22µ in the lube oil is necessary for controlling engine wear."

"The micron rating of a filter, as established in a single pass efficiency type test, does an excellent job in indicating the filter’s ability to remove abrasive particles in the engine lube oil system."

Today’s Most Advanced Filtration Product
Ea Oil Filters have been evaluated using today’s benchmark test, the ISO 4548-12 multi-pass test. AMSOIL Ea Oil Filters provide 98.7 percent efficiency at 15µ and up to 70 percent efficiency at 7µ. Competitive filters range from approximately 85 to 92 percent efficiency at 15µ. When it comes to removing contaminants in the most critical size range (2 to 22µ), AMSOIL Ea Filters greatly outperform competitive filters.
Even with all of the advances in lubrication and engine technology, filtration is as important today as it ever was. The combustion process produces by-products that slip into the oil stream, and external contaminants are introduced into the engine in a variety of ways. The challenge for filter manufacturers is balancing flow, efficiency and filter life. In order to stop particles in the 2 to 22µ range, the pores in the cellulose media used in many filters are too small to allow adequate oil flow.

Only AMSOIL Ea Oil and Air Filters feature full-synthetic nanofiber technology. It is the nanofibers that allow Ea Filters to provide greater efficiency than any other filter available. Ea Filters stop more particles, stop smaller particles and last longer than any other oil filter available for auto/light truck applications.

As a side note, as technology advances, especially in this area of lube oil filtration, it is wise to step up and utilize the products that will benefit us most. The old thoughts of, " I've always used this or that product and it worked good for me" thinking is out dated. Just like electronics. Do you move forward in this area as well? Of course we do! Do your own research and look at the test data, I think you will agree with the facts.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
QUOTE (DWPTECH @ Dec 21 2010, 10:40 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=382040
Just for your information and consideration:

The SAE paper summarizes the test results with the following conclusions:

"Abrasive engine wear can be substantially reduced with an increase in filter single pass efficiency. Compared to a 40µ filter, engine wear was reduced by 50% with 30µ filtration. Likewise, wear was reduced by 70% with 15µ filtration."
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't using expensive oils and filters only add about 50K miles to the life of a modern 250,000 mile engine? I would guess that most oil-related failures in modern cars are due to neglect and abuse, not because of oil or filter cost. My car will be traded in before 100K miles, so should I worry, or just follow the owner's manual?

·
Registered
945 Posts
QUOTE (bobad @ Dec 22 2010, 10:44 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=382380
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't using expensive oils and filters only add about 50K miles to the life of a modern 250,000 mile engine? I would guess that most oil-related failures in modern cars are due to neglect and abuse, not because of oil or filter cost. My car will be traded in before 100K miles, so should I worry, or just follow the owner's manual?
Just follow the owners manual. It's not just the cost of the oil but the quality and there are big differences and thats a fact. Oil filtration is one of the most important things and can add hundreds of thousands of miles to a modern engine. Those facts are documented in high mileage diesel engines mostly but it's the same with gasoline engines. If you are only driving 10K a year or so, just follow the recommened oil change or, change the oil like the Jiffy Lube people would have you believe, every 3,000 miles :whistling: In any case, it would take you 20 years to reach the 200K mileage mark at only 10K a year so I wouldnt worry about it much. Synthetic oils and superior filtration is not for everyone and you would not benefit from it in your situation. I do it because I choose to. Knowing I have the best in my engine and protecting it is just my thing and my own personal peace of mind.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts