Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my 2011 for about 3 weeks; now at about 550 miles. Any opinions/experiences on switching to synthetic oil at the first oil change for a new car?

·
Registered
26 Posts
From what I've read and talked to.... Its said that you should wait until a few oil changes to switch over to Synthetic. Has something to do with the "break in" period, using conventional oil for the first 6000 miles or so. That's what I'm waiting for until I switch, but then again every person is different with his/her own car.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I've heard the theory of waiting for a few thousand miles to switch. On the other hand, some very high dollar cars roll out of the factory with synthetic installed. I don't think it would cause any problem to switch whenever you want.

I've used synthetics for years because they give me that warm fuzzy feeling. In reality, synthetic oil's advantages are best seen at the extremes of hot and cold. The other advantage is to stretch the drain intervals. I have a hard time getting myself to go past 4500 miles even with syn.

Today's regular oils are so much better than the oils of 30 years ago. I don't think you can't go wrong with any major brand oil, regular or synthetic.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Zig, you may be right, but according to our manual, break-in for our cars is only 1,200 miles. That break-in argument was more valid 20 years ago when engines really did need to break-in. It was important for certain parts to form fit slowly and for other part to have rough burrs worn off slowly under light load. The belief was that the synthetic was so slippery compared to regular oil back then, it prevented that necessary wear. Today's engines don't need that kind of major break-in anymore. That is evidenced by the fact that all of today's mega-buck Ferraris, Porsches, Corvettes, etc. all come with synthetic straight from the factory. If those cars get synthetic from day one, I say there is no problem with us changing to it after the first oil change, which coincides with the manual's break-in mileage.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
QUOTE (wbw @ May 12 2010, 08:05 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=322059
Today's regular oils are so much better than the oils of 30 years ago. I don't think you can't go wrong with any major brand oil, regular or synthetic.
+1 on that!

Car engines, and oil, used to be horrible compared to today's engines and oils.

Engines were machined on huge, manually controlled machining centers, and the
cylinder walls came out rough and not truely round. They required a "run-in" period
to lap them smooth. Thin, slick oil would blow past the rings, and slowed the running
in period. After the run-in period, thinner oils stayed in the engine better.

None of these problems exist today. Engines are precision machined. Materials are
better. Oils are much better, both regular and synthetic. You can use your oil of choice
from day 1.

It's still advisable to stick to manufacturer's recommended oil change intervals, because
of filters and warranty requirements. That may change some day, I hope!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Go ahead with the synth at first change, which I like to do at 1,000 miles. Just to clean out the burrs, etc. Nowadays with modern oil and machining, 99% of drivers can run whatever they want with no issues. If you change it per schedule (or extended schedule with synth) you will never have an oil-related engine failure. The oil filter has become more important than the oil, get a quality high-pass filter and avoid Fram. Fram fanboys, check any number of illustrated filter dissasembly reviews for why.

·
Registered
86 Posts
People here have brought up some great points. This is a topic that has been widely debated on forums everywhere. I've been fortunate enough to own a decent number of new cars... I've always waited until several thousand miles to switch to synthetic to give the rings a chance to properly seat, and the cylinder walls a chance to wear a bit. Some of my car buddies have switched right away... and honestly, no one has seen issues from doing this that I know of. Shoot... I bought a 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS back in November, and it came filled with Mobile 1 from the factory. Same thing with my dad's porsche. Granted these cars were intended to run synthetic from the factory... but it goes to show that running synthetic in a new motor probably isn't the end of the world.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Nowadays I think as long as you change it regularly, you'll be fine with either. Had oil analysis's done on cars with and without synthetic and the results are pretty close if changed around 3000 miles or 3-4 months.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I had my Mercedes turbodiesel on syntetic from day 1 with no problem . The onboard computer kept tag of all events and prompted me to change oil at around 14000 miles. Always changed around 10000. Had no problems till I sold it with 191.000 miles. I think syntetic oils are far superior because are man maid and have no unwanted components like the regular ones. I think the switch should be OK. Even big trucks run for 25000 to 30000 on an oil change. Changing the oil at 1000 miles is a waste of money and resources.

·
Registered
255 Posts
QUOTE (tibike @ May 12 2010, 07:35 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=322292
I had my Mercedes turbodiesel on syntetic from day 1 with no problem . The onboard computer kept tag of all events and prompted me to change oil at around 14000 miles. Always changed around 10000. Had no problems till I sold it with 191.000 miles. I think syntetic oils are far superior because are man maid and have no unwanted components like the regular ones. I think the switch should be OK. Even big trucks run for 25000 to 30000 on an oil change. Changing the oil at 1000 miles is a waste of money and resources.

QFMFT!! Changing the oil at 1000 miles is a waste of your money and you're only doing your extra part in contaminating the land fills. In my 02 Explorer I changed the oil on it every 7500-10000 miles in harsh winters and hot/humid summers. All I ever needed to do was top it off when needed and that was it. The truck still runs on the original engine after 125k miles.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
We were told by course instructor that all engines built in USA plant came with synthetic in them..

·
Registered
14 Posts
I dont change at every 1000 miles...i did two oil changes within the thousand miles...now its on to 7500.

Reason I did two oil changes..one at 200 miles and the other at 1000 is to remove all the deposits from breaking in the engine.

Your engine believe it or not is 90% broke in after about 20 miles of driving.

·
Registered
83 Posts
QUOTE (OMEGA_WEAPON @ May 12 2010, 09:21 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=322309
QFMFT!! Changing the oil at 1000 miles is a waste of your money and you're only doing your extra part in contaminating the land fills. In my 02 Explorer I changed the oil on it every 7500-10000 miles in harsh winters and hot/humid summers. All I ever needed to do was top it off when needed and that was it. The truck still runs on the original engine after 125k miles.
You need to read all the zeros after the 1. I was changing oil at 10.000 miles!!

·
Registered
156 Posts
QUOTE (tibike @ May 14 2010, 10:54 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=322839
You need to read all the zeros after the 1. I was changing oil at 10.000 miles!!
People use Commas and Periods differently at different part of the world as delimiters interchangeably. We know here 10.000 means 10K miles, no problems here.

Oil is a very controversial subject. Some claims synthetics and dino oils can be used back and forth anytime, which I believe. Some claims once switch to one kind, one should not change back to the other kind. Also, many cannot agree on when (how long) is break-in period.

I have never seen official automotive manufacturers' manuals stating that owners cannot switch oil types back and forth. Do whatever you feel comfortable with. We all agree the more often you change the oil, the better it is for the engine, whether it is a waste of money or not. It becomes a personal matter, like how many times you should brush you teeth in a day...

·
Registered
166 Posts
For any of you Costco members out there - this months coupon offers has $9 off a 6 pack of Mobil 1 5w30 or 10w30 (6 quarts). It made it $22 for 6 quarts. or a little less than $4 a bottle.

Now I just need to see what the dealer will charge me if I bring my own oil.

·
Registered
587 Posts
I've done oil changes up to 14k miles on my 06 Sonata. I always change the oil filter halfway through, the V6 has the cartridge and Mobil 1 extended life filters are not available. I've had an oil analysis performed by blackstonelabs.com and everything came back green at 10k miles clocked up on the oil. I do mixed driving now, so I'm probably going to switch from Mobil 1 EP to regular Mobil 1 synthetic and change every 8k miles.

·
Registered
123 Posts
when i bought mine, the dealer said 3k was the first oil change, then 5k after that. they recommend to bring back to the dealer for the first change then go wherever after that. idk if they just wanted service business, but for 25 bucks or so, i'll take it. i still don't trust any of the chains or even the local guy to know the ins/outs of the 11 just yet...

and i believe the manual said 3k for the first change, and considering they know their car, i'll go with that

1 - 20 of 23 Posts