Hyundai Forums banner

61 - 76 of 76 Posts

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
You're not going to have a ton of luck trying to figure out what brand or what type (synthetic, synblend, conventional) of oil is in your car, unfortunately. You're not going to get that information without tests that can run hundreds of thousands of dollars. If it's a Hyundai dealer, almost all of them that I've spoken to have used Quaker State products for engine oil and BG (or OEM, if you ask for it) transmission fluid. So if they told you that they used conventional oil, I'd feel like it's a safe bet to say that it's Quaker State Advanced Durability.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Well I am letting the local dealer do the first 6000km oil change. And because the place that sold me the car (another huyndai dealer) said they did an oil change and put conventional I am going to go with conventional for now too.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I own a MINT condition 2017 Elantra Value Edition with about 28K now and I have been doing 5K oil changes with Pennzoil Platinum 5W-20 and OEM filter and the car runs beautifully.

·
Registered
684 Posts
...Btw is there an easy way to figure out the type of oil in the car?
it's really not that important. While it's under warranty, you need to keep to the oil change intervals specified in the owner's manual, regardless whether synthetic or conventional oil is used. The best way to know is to keep your receipts.

·
Registered
356 Posts
The first oil change is done at the dealer and its definitely the last time I will go back for an oil change unless they have an extremely good deal. I decided to keep it conventional. I will probably switch to synthetic when I do it.

Any didnt have a very good experience with the dealer... I bought the car at another huyndai dealer and for whatever reason they switched the battery for a NAPA one.
I was nagged on and on about it and that if something happens within two years to the battery there would be no warranty, bla bla.
Next during their checkout they said that the front right brake was not lubricated and that it started sticking and that its going to get worse...
Price to fix the problem $179.99CAD???? uh what?? A brand new car with 6000km's and you want to tell me that I would have to pay to fix a brake problem that its not lubricated?
And 179bucks to do what?
I called the dealer where I bought the car and they said no way theres a problem with it and told me to not accept the joband to take it somewhere else to be looked at and if theres a problem they will pay to have it fixed.
Friggin hate dealet and their upsell tactics.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Sorry to hear that. I have had so many bad experiences at dealerships and shops that they have to earn my trust. My dealership overfilled my first oil change by 1/2 quart. That motivated me to do it myself.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
I agree. I have bought Pennzoil Platinum or Ultra Platinum for years for $12 to $14. My dealership is making synthetic competitive. Used to be conventional oil change regular price was $29.99 and synthetic oil price was $69.99. For past year they lowered synthetic price to $39.99. Synthetic is the future.

·
Registered
281 Posts
NDSE what do You think was and still is the factory Fill Oil for the 2017 SRT 840 Horespower dodge demon.?
You guessed it Pennzoil Ultra Synthetic, Pennzoil made from naturall gas 1st of its kind in 40 Years.! its what i Only use & trust in a gasoline engine. high additive cleaning agent Oil with Excellent engine protection wrapped in one. (y)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Does anyone ever use DEXOS specced oil in their Hyundai? DEXOS is a GM standard. My local dealership also sells Buick/GMC and Mazda too. Oddly, the Hyundai website lists conventional oil at $29.99, DEXOS oil at $39.99 and full synthetic at $59.99 -- pricing includes a filter and a tire rotation. My understanding is DEXOS is synthetic oil, so not sure why a different price. The pricing is better than going to Valvoline because of the tire rotation. Should I have any concerns about DEXOS oil in a non-GM vehicle?

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
I use Dexos approved 5w-30 in my 2017 Elantra. It was the reason I change my own oil. Was bought for a Lexus that got traded in. As long as it meets the specs listed in the owner's manual I would not have concerns. I am not aware of any downside of using a Dexos approved oil.

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Ha, been on boards for years, always a ton of replies on motor oil.

Quite simple, if you to maintain the warranty on your vehicle, follow the instructions in your vehicle's owner manual.

Ha, I use to say, instead of using synthetics, using the real stuff, but back then the real stuff was a buck a quart and synthetics was more like ten bucks a quart.

Today for a five quart bottle, only a couple of bucks more for synthetics, but some dealers, like my old one was charging 49 bucks more. And had no idea what he was pouring in.

Air compressor used the real stuff, going back to 1965, oil filter was always dirty, switched to synthetics, oil lever is not going down and the filter is staying clean. Also in my small engines, had to clean the spark plugs often, but not with synthetics.

Last vehicle was a GM with an oil change reminder, that plus up to 600 miles before a change was required, more like 11,000 miles, but Hyundai says 7,500, so done before that.

GM just copied SAE requirements for synthetics, all must meet their specs.

61 - 76 of 76 Posts