Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw Super Tech full synthetic oil at Walmart today for $16 for a 5 quart jug. That's less than Castrol, Valvoline, or Pennzoil dino oil for $18 and $18.47 for 5 quarts.

Would the full synth be a good idea for me for 6 months if I only run my car about 2000 miles every 6 months or should I stick to the regular oil?

My '14 Elantra SE now has 88k miles on it.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Use whatever you want

I'd take a synth over a conventional.

Reactions: Joseph Rz

·
Registered
639 Posts
My Corvette uses synthetic. It has an oil life monitor, but the other parameter per GM is once a year oil changes.

Every 6 months at 2k miles is not necessary.

My old 1971 Datsun 240Z with 279k miles gets an annual oil change as it only goes 3k miles or so a year, although I try to drive it every week or two. It gets Walmart's SUPERTECH conventional oil (for about the last 10 years).

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What makes me sleep good at night is if I change my oil once a week, LOL. :wink:

Kidding aside, if I ran synthetic oil and did just one OCI per year, I'd have enough oil filters to last me until about 2030.

On the other hand, if I'm only going to do one OCI per year, I might as well spend a few more bucks and get Pennzoil Platinum, Castrol Edge, Valvoline, or Mobil 1. I think PP is only about $23 at Walmart.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So you don't think the cold weather condensation from short trips to the store would be a problem for my oil if I ran full synthetic and did just one OCI per year?

I try to run the car for at least 5+ miles per trip but there are sometimes short trips to the post office which are only 2-3 miles.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just talked to Luke at Blackstone Labs about UOA [used oil analysis] and he said as long as my engine is healthy (which I think is probably is -- I haven't had a UOA with my Elantra yet), I wouldn't damage my engine with one OCI per year whether I used synthetic or conventional oil.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
So you don't think the cold weather condensation from short trips to the store would be a problem for my oil if I ran full synthetic and did just one OCI per year?

I try to run the car for at least 5+ miles per trip but there are sometimes short trips to the post office which are only 2-3 miles.
Change it twice a year, and I hope you put as much thought and worry into your own well being as your cars! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,962 Posts
Change it twice a year, and I hope you put as much thought and worry into your own well being as your cars! :thumbsup:
:smile: Good advice!

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
What makes me sleep good at night is if I change my oil once a week, LOL. :wink:

Kidding aside, if I ran synthetic oil and did just one OCI per year, I'd have enough oil filters to last me until about 2030.

On the other hand, if I'm only going to do one OCI per year, I might as well spend a few more bucks and get Pennzoil Platinum, Castrol Edge, Valvoline, or Mobil 1. I think PP is only about $23 at Walmart.
I get the sense you are much like me. At one time I drove a lot and changed oil a lot. Now, I have oil changing withdrawal. :grin2:

If I use all the oil in my garage that I have receipts for I am 7 years out. Filters 3.5 years out.

There is an emotional aspect to changing oil. I am the first to admit I am powerless over oil. :wink:

I changed oil in a sludge prone RX300 every 1.5 years using PPlantinum, Castrol Edge, and Mobil EP. That was around 5k miles.

The problem with you is psychologically you really want to change that oil. Deep down, you know you do. :smile:

Sometimes car care can be therapeutic. I find it improves well being when I put a lot of thought into car care. It reduces stress.

:smile: Good advice!
I agree. It will give a chance to check other things on the car and give him an oil change fix.

Regarding what oil. Blackstone has some ideas:

https://www.blackstone-labs.com/which-oil-to-use.php

·
Registered
785 Posts
The rule I use is that if it's conventional oil, stick to the mileage and timeframe recommended in the manual for OCI. If it's synthetic, only stick to the mileage interval. I don't live in a cold climate, so I don't have some of the same concerns that you do about water content over time.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Sometimes car care can be therapeutic. I find it improves well being when I put a lot of thought into car care. It reduces stress.
All you need for peace-of-mind is Carfax, cell phone, or a calendar to remind you when to do it (or all of them)! Mine is 4K mi or 4 mo with full syn & OEM.

I was always on top of things for car maintenance and it rarely paid-off (good for experience though).
An example: the La Sabre 3.8L had 110k on the spark plugs, but I was still getting 35 mpg...I changed them-out (back 3 are a total PITA) and it didn't improve mileage. Lesson learned? It takes many when you are anal retentive about things! :nerd:

Reactions: Joseph Rz

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
All you need for peace-of-mind is Carfax, cell phone, or a calendar to remind you when to do it (or all of them)! Mine is 4K mi or 4 mo with full syn & OEM.

I was always on top of things for car maintenance and it rarely paid-off (good for experience though).
An example: the La Sabre 3.8L had 110k on the spark plugs, but I was still getting 35 mpg...I changed them-out (back 3 are a total PITA) and it didn't improve mileage. Lesson learned? It takes many when you are anal retentive about things! :nerd:
It get your point. :smile:

My stepfather had a Corsica with the 3.1. I talked him into changing plugs since that was what the manual said. Done at a school. The teacher/mechanic showed that the old plugs looked fine. After that he got a misfire. Took it to a mechanic and replaced coils, one at a time. Still misfire. I bought another set of plugs and after install solved the issue.

In general I follow the owner's manual. Applies to furnace, A/C, equipment, etc. Staying on top of maintenance pays off long term in my experience. But sometimes you have to know when to let go. Hindsight is 20/20.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Because of the short trips of <10 miles in cold weather (in East Tennessee), it might be a good idea for me to change the oil 2x a year as I've been doing for years, vs once a year.

Though like everything, opinions vary and for some reason the Blackstone tech guy seemed to think a once a year OCI is fine.

I did an OCI on 2/23/18 just to see what it's like with this car. Typically I like to do an OCI about every May 1 and Nov 1. This coming Winter I think I'm going to run 5w20 Super Tech full synthetic, and maybe when the May OCI gets here I'll run 5w30 of the same oil.
This year, bc I did an OCI on 2/23, I might run the Federated 5w30 syn blend oil until Nov 1, which will be about 8 months I ran this oil. Then I will probably get back to the 2 OCI per year.

I'm getting quite a few oil filters stock piled. I guess I'm determined to never run out of oil filters in my lifetime, LOL.

According to the automotive website Edmunds.com, the answer depends more on driving patterns than anything else. Those who rarely drive more than 10 miles at a time (which doesn’t get the oil hot enough to boil off moisture condensation) or who start their car frequently when the oil isn’t hot (when most engine wear occurs) should change their oil more often—at least twice a year, even if that’s every 1,000 miles, according to Edmunds. But commuters who drive more than 20 miles a day on mostly flat freeway can go as far as their owner’s manual recommends, if not longer, between changes. As a car ages, more frequent changes might be in order, but that’s for a qualified mechanic to decide on a case-by-case basis.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/oil-change-truths/

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
There is a method to my madness. I changed oil 12/5 before it was due to get on a fall/spring schedule. My 10w-30 will be Summer. My 5w-30 Pennzoil Platinum for Winter. That puts me 5 years out. It sounds like you are thinking similar.

I see the advantage of oil changes twice a year on an aging car is you might catch things that need attention. My last car was a leaking cam cover and 3 years in a row the power steering bellows ripped. Then there is checking brakes and rotating tires.

I vote for you to do twice a year for that aspect. You also need to use up those filters so it is win-win situation which I like. :laugh:

·
Registered
257 Posts
...This year, bc I did an OCI on 2/23, I might run the Federated 5w30 syn blend oil until Nov 1, which will be about 8 months I ran this oil. Then I will probably get back to the 2 OCI per year.

I'm getting quite a few oil filters stock piled. I guess I'm determined to never run out of oil filters in my lifetime, LOL. ...
[/URL]
Joseph, do you have a hobby?
I learned to never buy more than 2 filters at a time.
A tree can slam into my wife's car again. :)
You got everything covered.
You don't have to worry about defective oil filters, crankshaft angle sensor failing, carbon build-up, rust eating away half your bottom, cam shaft snapping or timing chain flying apart...anything like that. :D

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'll be OK running full synthetic with the non synthetic oil filters I have on hand, is that right?

I used to run PP (not urine, Pennzoil Platinum) without using any special kind of oil filter.

I'm going to be changing the synthetic at 6 month intervals.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I have OCD in changing the oil in my Elantra too.

I drove my car a lot so I change oil by mileage, not by month I drive.

For price-wise, there is no reason to buy Super Tech at Walmart when you can buy Mobil 1 EP or Pennzoil Ultra Platinum with rebate. With $10 rebate now, you can get top of the line oil of Pennzoil and Mobil 1 for around $18. I bet that is no-brainer deal.
Then, I get Purolator One at Pepboy for $6 each which rates at 10k miles. You can opt for better oil filter but I think it is a waste since always change oil at 7k miles.

Change the oil twice a year, then your car will easily go up to 200k miles without a major problem.

Also, I want to mention, transmission oil is also essential that we tend to forget. I realized how the car performs so much smoother at 46k when changing with Valvoline ATF.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Auto Zone and Advance both do not seem to have the Mobil 1 rebate. If you go to the Mobil page, you will see a list of participating Mobil sellers, and Advance, AZ, and Walmart are not on the list. If you buy the oil at one of these places and then try get a rebate, there's a good chance you will not get any rebate at all.

AZ and Advance have their monthly specials in an oil and filter package but that's about it.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I do. Since Sept 12 2017 I've been eating just OMAD (one meal a day). I found Gin Stephens' OMAD forums on facebook and OMAD is very beneficial. We just turned over 50k members a few days ago and it was about 25k when I joined, so it's a very fast growing forum. I eat only from 10 am to about noon every day, then I have nothing but water for 22 hours.

As the saying goes : 25% of what you eat feeds you and the other 75% feeds your doctor.
Too many people eat food they have no true hunger for.
I'm hungry for one meal a day and no more than that. Any more food than that would only create problems.

I'm also very aware of what I eat.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts