Hyundai Forums banner

Synthetic Oil Change Engine Quieter Now

5K views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  Byron007 
#1 ·
I have 33,000 km on my accent and just change the oil yesterday and put in Castrol Syntec 5W20 synthetic. Not sure if it is just my imagination but the engine seemed quieter and smoother at idle. Probably just in my head. Anyone else notice the same thing or not??

#2 ·
I changed my mineral oil for true-synthetic Pennzoil Platinum oil at 35'000km.

I didn't notice a change about the engine running smoother or quieter but I got a better gas milleage (about 0.5 to 1L/100km less) my best is 36MPG and i'm not rolling like my grandma. :thumbsup:

#7 ·
after 5500km or 3400mi, it starts breaking down and gets dirty. Sometimes I hit the change point on a road trip because I couldn't spare the cash or time for oil. That's when things break down fast. I think the Castrol filters I use crap out a little early.

#8 ·
i switched to amsoil signature series full synthetic oil and used their EA oil filter...run over 25k on my last oil change....definitely helped gas mileage.....and saves me some coin with the extended intervals....and it does seem to run smoother with it in.....

for those changing from dino oil to synthetic it is a very good idea to flush the motor with a cleaner before switching to synthetic oil as synthetics help to clean the motor and if you have a dirty motor it will can clog up the filter fast and decrease the effectiveness of the synthetic oil.....

#9 ·
just rolled 43,xxx miles. i've used mostly ford motor company semi synth 5w20. ( i used full synth Mobil once and didn't like the way it felt) went back to the fomoco oil. last oil change i tried the Castrol GTX full synthetic 5w20 and can honestly say it FEEL's great!!!

i was having trouble taking off without the car surging while i shift (i was blaming the small pedals) i either shifted to low RPM's or to hight RPM's and was getting very irritated. i thought i would give the Castrol oil a chance and see what happened. the first hundred or so miles felt the same, but afterwards I can shift like hot knife/butter. super good feel now. I'm sold on the stuff and will continue to use it, also switching to it in our 07 EDGE.
i've never given the Amsoil a try (would like to) but i won't use it until i can buy it locally (by locally i mean WalMart) and i really don't see that happening anytime soon. I do have easy access to it, but it's just easier getting from wally world.

#11 ·
Twitch, I'll only use Hyundai brand or a Purolator filters and do not like Fram. Fram has a high end filter but then they cost a lot and they are only good as the the dealer filter. But right now I'm using Hyundai brand. I buy about 6 at a time. Even when I buy only one they're cheaper than any other retailer's filters. I'm buying for 2 now, the Elantra and Accent.

Who makes the Castrol filters?

As for Synthetic oil, love too, but same reason as Ausom Accent 9, warranty issues and the cost. Two cars and a truck gets a bit expensive at oil changing time.

Cheers

#12 ·
QUOTE (ausom accent 9 @ May 8 2010, 10:48 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=321089
I was thinking of using full syn last year when I bought my car,but Hyundai Canada requires the oil to be changed every
three months for the warranty regardless...so I use 520 winter,530 summer dino. Since I only put 10k/6200miles on my
first year...dino it will be. :grin:

The owners manual says 6000 km or 6 months so not sure why not changing every 3 months would void the warranty. I have been changing about 4-5 months at home. I think the our Canadian dealers like to pull people in every 3 months just to make the extra cash. I think this is just left over oil changes from years gone by. I can't see why some car companies go 6 months like my Toyota Tundra or some like GM can go 1 year dependant on the oil life monitor and Hyundai only goes 3 months. I am going to stick with my Synthetic and changes every 6000km and 4 - 5 months since it still covers what the owners manual says.

#13 ·
QUOTE (Calbar @ May 10 2010, 09:37 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=321581
The owners manual says 6000 km or 6 months so not sure why not changing every 3 months would void the warranty. I have been changing about 4-5 months at home. I think the our Canadian dealers like to pull people in every 3 months just to make the extra cash. I think this is just left over oil changes from years gone by. I can't see why some car companies go 6 months like my Toyota Tundra or some like GM can go 1 year dependant on the oil life monitor and Hyundai only goes 3 months. I am going to stick with my Synthetic and changes every 6000km and 4 - 5 months since it still covers what the owners manual says.
Just another dealership scare tactic that I'm sure Hyundai Corporate would love to inform them is misleading and not good representation of the Hyundai name. :D

#14 ·
QUOTE (TOOSLO @ Apr 29 2010, 03:03 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=317848
i switched to amsoil signature series full synthetic oil and used their EA oil filter...run over 25k on my last oil change....definitely helped gas mileage.....and saves me some coin with the extended intervals....and it does seem to run smoother with it in.....

for those changing from dino oil to synthetic it is a very good idea to flush the motor with a cleaner before switching to synthetic oil as synthetics help to clean the motor and if you have a dirty motor it will can clog up the filter fast and decrease the effectiveness of the synthetic oil.....

There is a TSB out from Hyundai not to flush the motor with cleaner and that it is not needed. As well the TSB says that there are internal parts that can be damaged by flushing the engine. Might be better to change the first synthetic sooner to avoid clogging the filter instead of running into problems by doing a flush. I think with 33,000 km (20,000 miles) even if the synthetic cleans out the engine a bit I should still be fine with 6,000 km (~4000 miles) until my next oil change.

#17 ·
QUOTE (hoosieraccent @ May 11 2010, 08:50 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=321712
Unfortunately, Hyundai Canada hasn't posted them on the 'net, Supe! :mellow:  It would be nice if they did since what we have here doesn't apply there and vice versa.
I think they are on haccservice.com....I just found out about this site yesterday,still waiting for them to send me a password
so I can get in !!!! :whistling:

#18 ·
QUOTE (ausom accent 9 @ May 11 2010, 11:34 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=321760
I think they are on haccservice.com....I just found out about this site yesterday,still waiting for them to send me a password
so I can get in !!!! :whistling:
Finally got a password for haccservice.com,Hyundai Canada service information. It covers Canadian TSB'S...thats about
it. Everything else transfers you to hmaservice.com.

#20 ·
QUOTE (TwitchAutoSystems @ Apr 25 2010, 03:08 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=316693
after 5500km or 3400mi, it starts breaking down and gets dirty. Sometimes I hit the change point on a road trip because I couldn't spare the cash or time for oil. That's when things break down fast. I think the Castrol filters I use crap out a little early.
Wait a minute, are you saying that because the oil turns black its sludging up?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.