Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2013 Sante Fe LWB. Have used regular oil for 100K miles, changing oil and filter every 6K miles, never burned more than 1/4 qt oil between changes. Last December I switched to Mobil 1 syn 5W30 and planned to change oil every 10K miles.

After about 8K miles I started hearing "engine sounds" like the exhaust had a leak and was louder under load. Check engine light has come on and gone off intermitently - I figured it had to do with an exhaust leak. Today it went into limp mode driving home. After shutting off, waiting 10 minutes, then driving again it was back to normal.

Decided it was past time to investigate. Looked under car and saw no sign of damage or leaks in exhaust system. Checked oil level and it didn't even register on the stick!

Added 3 qts syn 5W30 to get oil to halfway between low and high marks. Took car for a drive and no more "engine sounds".

So, would anyone expect 5W30 to burn up while regular 5W30 didn't?

And what would the "engine sounds" be if oil is low?

John

·
Registered
253 Posts
I wish I had better news for you.

If you heard engine noises while operating the engine with a very low oil level, there is no good outcome for this. Engine damage or at the least, a large amount of engine wear will have occurred.

Many people will say it's impossible, but I've seen synthetic oil "burn" much faster than conventional oil.

The take away from all this is.....never.. ever.. ever neglect checking the oil level.

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
I wish I had better news for you.

If you heard engine noises while operating the engine with a very low oil level, there is no good outcome for this. Engine damage or at the least, a large amount of engine wear will have occurred.

Many people will say it's impossible, but I've seen synthetic oil "burn" much faster than conventional oil.

The take away from all this is.....never.. ever.. ever neglect checking the oil level.
Not impossible at all, plus Mobil 1 5w 30 is an oil that if you look at the specs behaves similar to some 5w20 oils, on my Saab where 5w 40 or 0w 40 is recommended Mobil 0w 40 will seep some from the head gasket and probably burn some in the cc whereas Rotella 5x 40w will not, both being syn oils but Mobil 1 sure seems to be much lower in viscosity when pouring.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did you ever check the oil level during those 8K miles??
No I did not. Neither of my daily driver cars have ever burned any oil between oil changes (6,000 mi). I had no reason to suspect the syn would be any different. My other car (Mustang Ecoboost) also got syn the last oil change and hasn't burned oil in 3,000 miles.

So, yes I neglected to check the SF.

But what would the noise have been? It really did sound like louder exhaust. Gas mileage remained constant and it never ran hot.

John

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
I have been extremely lucky with all my cars as none of them have had problems with burning oil or oil consumption. Regardless, I still check all fluids once a week when the engine is cold.

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
No I did not. Neither of my daily driver cars have ever burned any oil between oil changes (6,000 mi). I had no reason to suspect the syn would be any different. My other car (Mustang Ecoboost) also got syn the last oil change and hasn't burned oil in 3,000 miles.

So, yes I neglected to check the SF.

But what would the noise have been? It really did sound like louder exhaust. Gas mileage remained constant and it never ran hot.

John
Many engines will exhibit valve train clatter when oil starvation occurs, also the cam phasing mechanism may have been impacted increasing noise level. An aside comment is that most any engine can go from little oil consumption to consuming it, especially as the miles increase. You could try a different brand synthetic or even go up a level in viscosity in summer months, depending on what your manual says but sounds like you are out of warranty. And IMO opinion Mobil 1 is on the lighter side of viscosity for 5w-30 oils.

Lastly it's a Hyundai engine - not considered to be the most robust engines builders in the industry, I just picked up a Ford Ranger with the 2.3T ecoboost and it's a nice mill.

·
Registered
160 Posts
The Hyundai Lambda 3.3 is a fine engine, unlike their Theta engines that keep grenading themselves.

Bring the car to a qualified mechanic and expect to hear some bad news.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Hmmm, I run Mobil 1 fully synthetic oil in a Toyota, Hyundai, and also in a BMW motorcycle and don't burn any noticeable amounts of oil between changes. Perhaps there is an issue with the oil control ring(s). I grew up where checking the oil level in an engine was part of owning a car, motorcycle, generator, anything with a engine, on a regular basis. I still do, I guess that's a thing of the past, but I suspect the owners guide still advise doing this.

·
Registered
836 Posts
I have been extremely lucky with all my cars as none of them have had problems with burning oil or oil consumption.
I've had such luck too.
But I check by mileage, not time.
1000 miles is easy to remember on the odometer, and that distance takes anywhere from 3 days to 3 months.
Longer now with COVID.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Dropped the SUV off at dealer yesterday afternoon for checkup. I don't know what they did to check it out but called and said probably no harm done. Should not use syn in it, change back to regular 5W30 and keep an eye on oil level. Will pick it back up today.

As for the check engine light being on intermittently there were three codes in history: loss of communication for ambient temperature, and twice for O2 sensor too hot. Dealer will clear the history and, again, bring it back if check engine light comes on.

Wouldn't you expect there to be some kind of code if engine oil got too low?

·
Registered
253 Posts
You could take a sample of the oil and send it in for analysis which would show wear metals and compare them against what is normal. This could give you some indication of wear or damage that may have happened when the oil was low. Cost of about $30 if you are curious. Changing the oil is probably a good idea.

edit: sorry I didn't see that you have already changed the oil.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Should not use syn in it, change back to regular 5W30 and keep an eye on oil level.
These oil leaks that you've been getting are not because of synthetic oil per se.

Oil changes every 6K miles on dino oil is a bit too long. What has happened is that sludge has formed in the engine due to these extended oil change intervals. This sludge is actually functioning as a sort of "seal", preventing oil from leaking through the actual engine seals which have no doubt shrunk a bit after all this time.

The use of a synthetic oil dissolved the sludge, thus removing this impromptu "seal", causing oil leaks.

Now, regarding the "no harm done" bit: either the dealer didn't actually inspect anything, or Mobil 1 is such a good oil that the oil film sticks to the metal and keeps lubricating even when there's no longer oil left in the pan. If it's the latter, you might want to contact Mobil. I'm sure they'll love to know.

My opinion is to bring it to an independent workshop and see what they have to say.

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
Wouldn't you expect there to be some kind of code if engine oil got too low?
No oil level monitor, if oil level gets low enough where starvation occurs with metal to metal friction then you could get a high temp warning. Top part of engine often makes valve clatter noises with insufficient oil volume. Dealer seems to have given you reasonably good advice regards going back to dino, they may have done nothing more though than just listen to the engine and hearing no tell tale signs of damage, so I'd just drive it but periodically check the oil level.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The codes in the history file were P0014 and P0024. Anyone know of a port to hook a vacuum gauge up to the engine?

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
The codes in the history file were P0014 and P0024. Anyone know of a port to hook a vacuum gauge up to the engine?
So I believe those are exhaust cam phasing codes - which I mentioned earlier might explain your hearing exhaust noises, with your oil pressure being insufficient for the cam phasers to properly operate. Surprised you didn't get a low oil pressure warning and your engine properly was running hotter than normal when it was low on oil.

As other mentioned there was properly some degree of accelerated wear to the engine.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts