Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I bought my wife a new i20 (sparkle blue) for a valentine's day present and when it arrived at the dealers the paint work was covered in highly visible swirls in the paint work (as well as some other scratches). The dealer tried to get the marks removed but actually managed to make them worse. They agreed to replace the car, which arrived last week. I examined the car after it came off the transporter and other that a few light scratches next to the driver's side door handles it was fine (the dealer agreed to remove the scratches). We went to collect the car today only to find that once again it is covered in swirls and other scratches. It is clear that these were caused when the dealer washed the car. The dealer, however, is adamant that the swirls are in the actually paint and are part of the manufacturing process. I asked at a Honda dealership and they agreed the only way marks like that will be put on the car is during the cleaning process. Why would the dealer lie to me even though they've agreed to take the car(s) back and give me a full refund.

Has anyone else had problems with the paint work on brand spanking new Hyundais?

Thanks,

Rudders

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Hi and :00000732: to the forums.

Some dealers car washing skills leave a lot to be desired :whistling: I know of people who insist that the dealer hands the car over without washing it. They prefer to clean it themselves or have it properly detailed.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi,
I also have an i20 in sparkle blue and that also has swirl marks on the passenger door which in my opinion is caused when the dealer polishes the car with a mop as they do for quickness . although annoying and i totally agree with you that there should be no reason for this too happen i have decided too live with it. as it can only be seen if i look hard for it and i feel that having it mopped will only make it worse. and i will see what happens when i do it by hand.

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
Swirl marks part of the paint in the manufacturing process? That's a new one to me!

Swirls are very fine scratches caused by improper washing techniques and they look like this:
[attachment=19330:IMG_5673.jpg]

Now if they tried to polish out the swirls using a rotary buffer, chances are good they didn't finish down their work correctly and that will leave holograms or buffer trails that look like this, making it look even worse than it did before.
[attachment=19328:IMG_5441.jpg]

But here's the thing....if you finish it down correctly, it can look great. This is how that same door looked after proper finishing down with a softer pad and finer polish:
[attachment=19329:IMG_5442.jpg]

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts