Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know what the best MPH is for the Best Gas Mileage is? I used to never think about stuff like this coming from a 911 Turbo, lol. Now it's kind of a game to see how efficient you can get.

How many miles on a tank are people getting with a 50 city, 50 highway average? I only have 300 miles on my car...it's been 2 weeks and hard to tell...still on the first tank.

Thank you to all..

·
Registered
365 Posts
QUOTE (Halo @ Oct 31 2010, 10:56 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=367721
Does anyone know what the best MPH is for the Best Gas Mileage is? I used to never think about stuff like this coming from a 911 Turbo, lol. Now it's kind of a game to see how efficient you can get.

How many miles on a tank are people getting with a 50 city, 50 highway average? I only have 300 miles on my car...it's been 2 weeks and hard to tell...still on the first tank.

Thank you to all..
I set the cruise control for about 65-70 on the highway. It usually averages out to about 36-38 on the computer display. I do too much short distance driving to get that mileage all the time. My commute is all small roads with frequent stops, I only average 19-22 hand calculated during the week.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm typically running back and forth to work doing 72-75 on the highway, and have some city driving at both ends. I average about 27 - 28 mpg. Last week I made a 400 mile trip and made a point of setting the cruise control at 70. I managed 31 mpg on that tank, so even a small change makes a difference. I'd like to try going slower on the next trip, but worried about getting run over by people around here!

·
Registered
277 Posts
The car is rated 22 for city driving, which is about what you should expect.

When I take mine on the highway (not very often), the mpg's shoot way up.
One 10 mile highway drive with cruise set about 62, my readout said 44 mpg, but I don't know how accurate the computer is.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Danger Will Robison!!

I take posts involving 1) cost of your new Sonata and 2) what kind of mileage are your getting?, with a grain, make that a truck load, of salt.

It seems that there is always someone who bought his at thousands below dealer cost and another who gets 1000 miles on one tank of gas.

That's my $.02.

CC
:gitara:

·
1,914 Posts
I have 864 miles and I'm on my third tank. My first tank was 22.7, second was 24.1, and my third tank I'm averaging 26.6. My commute is 60% highway and 40% city and I have the eco mode turned on. I also usually don't accelerate pass 2,000 rpms. I don't expect to see 35 mpgs unless I take a trip. Nonetheless, I'm very happy with my gas mileage and how a tank of gas lasts me 3 weeks.

·
Registered
255 Posts
QUOTE (CCltd @ Nov 1 2010, 04:42 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=368028
Danger Will Robison!!

I take posts involving 1) cost of your new Sonata and 2) what kind of mileage are your getting?, with a grain, make that a truck load, of salt.

It seems that there is always someone who bought his at thousands below dealer cost and another who gets 1000 miles on one tank of gas.

That's my $.02.

CC
:gitara:

Ha it's funny you said that. I just read an 18 page thread on CleanMPG.com of a guy who took a 2011 Sonata GLS 6MT on a road trip where he went a little over a 1000 miles on a tank of gas averaging 56.7 mpg according to the trip computer and still had a quarter tank left over after he got to his destination. I don't know anything as far as the "sweet spot" for our cars when it comes to miles per gallon. I typically just go 65 mph on the interstate (when I can) and cruise as much as I can with my foot off the accelerator when the opportunity presents itself. I went 603.0 miles on my last tank which ended Sunday, with a projected 34.1 mpg from the car's MPG read out which I know some diehard gas MPG mathematician is going to come on here and say it's not the true MPG rating and to that I say we get it. I really try not to do any heavy acceleration and generally just follow all the stuff others have already mentioned. Not really a hypermiler, just a careful and leisurely driver until I get in my "fun" car.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I took my SE on a trip from Spokane WA to Southern Oregon, and on the first tank, we got 32.9, and on the second tank, we got 33.6 (actual calculation). I was traveling at 74 most of the way. My computer is consistently off by at least 2 MPG, showing me 35.5 average for the most part.

The last leg of the trip, I filled up right off the interstate, then jumped back on and traveled on the flat freeway. At 74 mph, the average mileage leveled off at around 38.0 (on the computer) and then over 9 miles, crept up to a high of 38.2. I didn't get to fill up until after driving many city miles brought my average down to 31. BUT, if my computer is consistenly off by around 2, or even 3, I may have been near 35 or better real world at over 70 mph. That's impressive for a car this size with all the safety and comfort equipment.

I really wish they could calibrate the computer to be more accurate with the real world. I don't like false readings.

[attachment=21066:0926101525a.jpg]
[attachment=21067:0926101533.jpg]

Attachments

·
Registered
255 Posts
I don't really think the mpg gauge on the car is off moreso there's no concrete way to determine how much fuel you've actually burned in a tank of gas compared to what you put back in.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Does the speed matter if you drive keeping the ECO light on? I thought that was the purpose of the ECO Mode.

·
Registered
32 Posts
QUOTE (Hysteria @ Nov 1 2010, 07:17 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=368151
I don't really think the mpg gauge on the car is off moreso there's no concrete way to determine how much fuel you've actually burned in a tank of gas compared to what you put back in.
so, when I go from full tank to full tank, the gallons used (amount it takes to fill the tank again) is not accurate? I don't get that. It's not rocket science. It's math.

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
QUOTE (Tom Brodrick @ Nov 1 2010, 11:22 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=368172
so, when I go from full tank to full tank, the gallons used (amount it takes to fill the tank again) is not accurate? I don't get that. It's not rocket science. It's math.
I think he is referencing that the car doesn't know gallon input, only basic gallon output. Mine is also consistently about 2mpg high.

And as for the car lying? Almost all cars that have a MPG calculator are off. Its a matter of fuel flow, duty cycle calculated over time. I am sure if the computer allowed gallons as an input you would get closer. Sitting at lights really causing the MPG to suffer.

·
Registered
717 Posts
I think my sweet spot is around 62-65 but not worth the 1 -2 mpg savings over a 4 hour drive. I drive the speed limit and stick to it.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
i had posted last week that a 60-70 mile round trip between Kansas City and Lawrence, Ks my computer returned a readout of 39.7...with a high of 41.4 halfway thru the trip. the road is...lets say...'wavy'. there are some flat spot, with some minor hills...and some that are a rather long incline. i just kept the cruise at 65 on the spedomter, which, according to gps, is really only 63ish to maybe touching 64 in real world.

my best tank has been around 37...a trip from KC to Des Moines. cruise set to 71 for that trip.

·
Registered
717 Posts
from your fuelly account you are not getting an avg of 37. Why lie? I get spot mpg of 37-43 but never on a full tank.

·
Registered
854 Posts
I can't figure it out but I'm guessing around 60mph based on the mpg.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
QUOTE (ssmuff @ Nov 2 2010, 11:11 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=368307
from your fuelly account you are not getting an avg of 37. Why lie? I get spot mpg of 37-43 but never on a full tank.
are you referring to me?

[attachment=21073:39.3.JPG]
during my trip between KC & Lawrence

[attachment=21074:41.3.JPG]
few miles down the road, it's increasing.

Attachments

·
Registered
255 Posts
QUOTE (Bearcats @ Nov 2 2010, 11:55 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=368298
I think he is referencing that the car doesn't know gallon input, only basic gallon output. Mine is also consistently about 2mpg high.

And as for the car lying? Almost all cars that have a MPG calculator are off. Its a matter of fuel flow, duty cycle calculated over time. I am sure if the computer allowed gallons as an input you would get closer. Sitting at lights really causing the MPG to suffer.
Thanks Bearcats...that's exactly what I meant.

·
Registered
255 Posts
QUOTE (Tom Brodrick @ Nov 2 2010, 08:14 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=368481
My Apologies Hysteria! I obviously jumped to the wrong conclusion, and then forgot to mind my manner.
I need to attend the school for kids who can't read good. ;)

No need for apologies man, it's all good! I see you and I have the same taste in cars...all the way down to color so it's all good. :grin:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts