Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 2007 santa fe gls 2.7 fwd what would cause the car to dart side to side when accelerating also has a vibration on right side when taking off? it all stops when you let off the gas.i have put new tires and breaks new struts and new motor mounts on it. then i was told it was the right cv axel so i had that replaced nothing seems to fix it.....help please

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
What you describe is called torque steer and is common with front wheel drive cars, although not as pronounced as this. Your car is ten years old and may have enough mileage that there is some wear in the front end components.

Please help us help you. Go to your profile and fill in all the information you can shown by pencil icons. That info will show up in the left margin of your posts, like is shown on mine and others'.

Reactions: Maciver

·
Registered
882 Posts
I don't know what you are talking about, but I will check front suspension parts. Bad or loose lower ball joint, sway bar link or sway bar bushing can cause side to side vibration when hit a bump. Bad control arm bushings can cause the same thing, but they will come with clunking noise. I've also seen really bad inner outer tie rod cause vibration but not so often

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
it sways side to side at any speed even when coasting.there is no loud noise or clunking at all.i got new stabilizer links to put in hope that helps

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Dumb question: Have you put it on a 4-wheel alignment fixture? Serious misalignment can cause the swaying.

·
Registered
2018 Sonata Limited 2.0T (Mfg:11/09/17)
398 Posts
:confused: I'm confused. . . you say the side-to-side darting stops when you let off the throttle, but you say the side-to-side swaying continues even when coasting.

Did the dynamics change after replacing the tires, struts and right CV so now it sways instead of darting?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
swaying darting all the same to me i need to get the lingo right sorry... i will go with darting because it will do it just all the sudden no shop can figure it out. i had the new stabilizer links put in but did the same. the alignment was done when the new tires were put on.i don't think its torque steer it has never done it before may try lower ball joints next what do y'all think. any help would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Has someone followed you to see exactly what the car is doing? If it's pronounced enough, somebody with a sharp eye may see something that clues you in to what's happening.

Since you haven't filled in your profile info, we don't have some information that might help. Where are you? There was a problem a few years ago with earlier Hyundai models, including Santa Fe, with corrosion serious enough that it damaged major suspension components. The problem was in northern states where heavy road salt application rotted parts of the car. If you're in a salt belt state, that's a consideration.

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
I expect he has multiply issue from lack of attention and wear and tear on many components. Wheel bearing seems like one of them from his first post but should not cause the multiply sways he describes. I figure he should take it into a shop for a full inspection which can only be done properly on a hoist. I am in a deep freeze with temps -23C to -27C in the mornings and not the time of the year to be even attempted without a heated garage.

With slippery roads he's at quite high risk of loosing control & head for the ditch or get involved in an accident he will cause.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
im in central Kentucky we have snow and salt not a lot but we do have it as far as taking care of my car religiously. that's one of the great things my dad instilled in me .i have not had anyone follow me to see what the car is doing but ill try that also.trust me when i say there is no lack of attention to the car had every thing under the car check .the wheel bearings rack and pinion inner and outer tie rods sway bar the general over all check up and all were good. it was on a lift when all was checked.the wife just says lets buy a new truck but why buy new when this is such a great car and has been up until this problem. plus parts are cheap and easy to replace

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
Well fair enough but I would be nervous driving it like that. Have you verified the strut mounts are not the problem. If so then something is over looked with that amount of sway there has to be something very very worn or just plan loose and moving around.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I had the same problem and it turned out to be a worn drivers side tie rod end. I replaced the tie rod end and got it aligned and now drives like new.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i was told it was checked when i had the tires installed but im going to jack the car up and give it a good once over my self tomorrow.and will definitely check the tie rods again

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
You have to understand that we're just guessing. Only a person or front end mechanic can determine where the fault is. By hand in the cold things may feel tight but not under the stress of the weight of the vehicle. Since you already check before posting I hope you don't expect a magic wand to isolate the problem.

I did not get one for Christmas this year. Nor New Years now a year older I am no smarter than before.

Good Luck

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
A quick idea: Have a helper move the steering wheel while you look for slack in steering and suspension components.

In my area it was 12 degF this morning and it won't warm up a lot in the next week or so. In central KY it was probably not far from 0. In this weather, you don't want to spend a lot of time outside. Yes, y'all, it gets nippy in the Sunny South.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
back again and i understand the guessing part as i am doing the same IE just replacing parts.and no magic wand for me ether when i jacked it up and looked for myself everything looked ok altho the right outer tie rod seems suspect.and it was about 0 degrees out when i did it but i could move it a bit.just a thought anyone think it could be in the steering box or steering linkage , just a thought....stay warm everybody its gonna be about -5 in the morning

·
Registered
270 Posts
jack the front up by the frame and check for play in the wheels. mainly the 3 and 9 position. should'nt be any. if you feel something than get a helper to do it than check underneath where it's coming from. park the car till it warms up a little.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
good news the swaying is gone i pt a new lower control arm with ball joint (that was bad) and outer tie rod just to be sure and no more problems thanks for all the help guys!!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts