Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I hear a knocking sound or a rumbling sound underneath feet area of my 2003 Hyundai Santa Fe when driving over bumpy roads or when travelling over a "washboard" type of road. Shocks & strusts appear OK.
Could it be a bad swaybar bushing?
How difficut would it be to change on my own?
What else could it be?
Can anybody direct me to or provide schematic for this vehicle to check out all types of bushings?

Thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello , I would have your mechanic check for exsesive wear in the lower control arm bushings before replacing. They are not difficult to change, I recently just did the two on the pass. side of my Santa Fe. Keeping in mind from my research these vehicles are known to have a certain amount of front end noise travelling on rough roads. Hope this helps...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey, Sorry I thought you were talking about the control arm bushings, as for the sway bar they can all be inspected by your technician. A handy website for parts detail, location , service nad troubleshooting guides... hmaservice.com. Hope this helps...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just an FYI - we've got the exact same noise / behavior on our 02. There seemed to be some play in the ball joints so I replaced them yesterday along with a passenger side axel (bad tone ring). -Unfortunately the balljoints weren't the culprit and we still have the same clunky knock on washboard roads.

Please post if you find out what it is on yours :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I found the culprit causing the problem and it turned out to be a control arm bushing near the front wheel on the driver's side. I got underneath the Santa Fe and shook the control arm and it rattled to make the exact nosie that I kept hearing while driving over a rough road. I also shook the control arm on the passenger side for comparison and there wasn't any movement nor noise at all.
Bushing purchase price and installation will be approximately $100.00

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the same issue with my Santa Fe. Turned out to be a broken Sway bar, and was told that this has never been reported before as the bar is way to strong to brake.
You may want to take a good look at your sway bar.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The rumbling sound came back to my '03 Santa Fe and it turned out to be the swaybar bushings and they have now been replaced. It was a very tight spot to get at the bolts holding the swaybar bushings in place. I had to get creative by bending the wrench to a 45 degree angle to get access to the upper bolt. Whereas I have never replaced a swaybar bushing before, it took about three hours to do but a Hyundai mechanic should be able to do it in about an hour for both sides. (two bushings). Great thing is - the noise is gone!!!

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Not sure on the size of the sway bar on the Santa Fe's, but if you can get your hands on a set of the Energy Suspension polyurethane bushings for it, they make an incredible difference in vehicle stability.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi

are you able to replace the roll bar/sway bar bushes without dropping the front sub frame? Mine are gone and the mechanic is looking at dropping the sub frame to get at it. Is this necessary or can someone provide a guide on how to do it?

Thanks
Paul.

·
Registered
7 Posts
there was a service bulletin about customers complaining about from end noise, the noise could be the front sway bar bushings, they have changed the model and the bracket . i do not have the numbers on hand but i can get them if any one needs them, i have disconnected a link kit and moved my swaybar and the bushings in fact were the culprit. i have gotten these bushings and brackets but have yet to do the job, and according to the program ALLDATA you have to lower the subframe (and disconnecting the steering knuckle) to get to the bolts, and the guy at hyundai said it was about a 3 hour job.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, the subframe must be lowered to allow access to the swaybar bushing bracket. By slackening the bolts on the subframe will give you 2" - 3" of extra space to do the work. It will still be a tight squeeze getting the wrench in place to back off the swaybar bushing bolts but it can be done with patience and perserverence. However, as I mentioned in an earlier post get creative by bending the wrench to a 45 degree angle to get access to the upper bolt. (heat the wrench so that it can be bent easily). Allow a couple of hours to get this done.

·
Registered
1 Posts
If you need sway bar bushings

I just had my '03 Santa Fe swaybar bushings replaced at Mieneke for $169 and change.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the same front end knocking around sound on rough roads with my 05 Santa Fe. I replaced the stabilizer bars and ball joints.. That did NOT work. It must be the bad sway bar bushings. Getting under the car without a lift to do the work is going to be a real challenge.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know this an older post..I still have my 06 Sonata I bought new. Love the car ...except for the clunking! After reading these post and seeing suspension parts were changed and it still occurred, I turned my attention to the body. I noticed the hood had some play...the bar on the hood that engages the latch has some wear from rubbing. I adjusted hood bumpers and that cut down on the noise...still there but not nearly as bad. I too had went thru the front suspension with exception of the sway bar bushings. I changed those. Amazon $11. Car now drives like new! Fyi....I was able to access the sway bar bushings bolts with a loooong socket extention on both sides from above engine. A little challenging get bolts back in but wasn't bad. Used a clamp to seat mounting bracket.
I guess I keep it for a few more years!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Not sure on the size of the sway bar on the Santa Fe's, but if you can get your hands on a set of the Energy Suspension polyurethane bushings for it, they make an incredible difference in vehicle stability.
Where would I find a set of the energy suspension bushings?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts