Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess it was my turn. My wife told me that her '12 Elantra had a clunking noise when going over even the smallest of bumps. I diagnosed it as the sway bar link on the driver's side. I decided to replace both links as a preventative measure. I chose the Moog parts as they seemed to get the best reviews.

What was an easy job, but it took more tools than it should have. Between the OEM and the Moog parts the nuts were different sizes. IIRC the flats on the studs were also different. I could only get the air-impact wrench on the upper nuts. Lower nuts required a ratchet and shorter sockets. Only one joint required holding the ball from rotating. The rest came out without issue.

Anyway, the job is done and wifey is happy again. After 6 years of ownership, I have replaced the rear shocks, tires, brake pads and rotors and now, the stabilizer links. These are the only parts that actually broke and were not wear items. Not too bad for an economy car I'd say.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Unbolt both top,, lower sway bar down to expose nuts at bottom.. remove nuts..

Install links to end of bar at both side, roll bar with links back to up position to put studs through strut hole, and secure both side

·
Registered
2007 Honda CRV
4,582 Posts
On my 2001 Elantra, I had to replace my CV axle
The sway bar links needed to come out
They didn't want to ... nut kept spinning
No way to hold it from spinning
Ended cutting the nut off with grinder
Or cutting sway bar with grinder to get them off
After replacing the CV axle, new sway bar link went in easy.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I guess it was my turn. My wife told me that her '12 Elantra had a clunking noise when going over even the smallest of bumps. I diagnosed it as the sway bar link on the driver's side. I decided to replace both links as a preventative measure. I chose the Moog parts as they seemed to get the best reviews.

What was an easy job, but it took more tools than it should have. Between the OEM and the Moog parts the nuts were different sizes. IIRC the flats on the studs were also different. I could only get the air-impact wrench on the upper nuts. Lower nuts required a ratchet and shorter sockets. Only one joint required holding the ball from rotating. The rest came out without issue.

Anyway, the job is done and wifey is happy again. After 6 years of ownership, I have replaced the rear shocks, tires, brake pads and rotors and now, the stabilizer links. These are the only parts that actually broke and were not wear items. Not too bad for an economy car I'd say.
Just did mind about 2 weeks ago @191,??? USA miles.
OEM from Amazon. $25?

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Unbolt both top,, lower sway bar down to expose nuts at bottom.. remove nuts..

Install links to end of bar at both side, roll bar with links back to up position to put studs through strut hole, and secure both side
Yeah, It would have been easier if I had it on a lift. There would be no tension on the bar and studs. I have but only one jack and chose to do one side at a time. If I sounded like I was complaining, that was not my intention. It wasn't difficult at all, Just used more of my tools than I thought. Difficulty level was low, about the same as changing the rear KYB shocks:grin2:

·
Registered
303 Posts

Could you post pictures of what the links look like?

·
Registered
303 Posts
Here is the Moog brand links (with grease nipple) from Rockauto.com

Honestly, you could have searched the web for a pic just like I did.
Hey! Thanks for that.
Google is dangerous...When you search "how to find a woman?", it shows results on how to satisfy a woman using her g-spot. So one can never rely entirely on google searches you see.. :nerd:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts