Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw a few questions about whether or not it was a direct swap or not, but it is. These are just standard SE rims with the normal 225/45R18 tires. The sensors needed to be swapped over. But other than that it's a direct replacement, the speedometer isn't off at all and everything looks and works great. It's no surprise that it works fine as it's the same chassis. I snapped a couple pictures when I was getting gas. FYI I got a GLS instead of an SE in the first place because I wanted a manual.

[attachment=19454:GLS_SE_Rims.jpg]
[attachment=19455:GLS_SE_Rims2.jpg]

Attachments

·
1,914 Posts
That looks excellent! You should put chrome door handles and fogs on then say you have a 6 spd SE :p. Some people may want to know where you got them and how much you paid.

·
Registered
717 Posts
I was quoted like $269 or something a wheel when I was looking to buy a ltd. Decided I liked the SE more so I got my SE with nav to get me over the min value.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was going to get some wheels like Aces, but I found these on Ebay for $500 shipped so I figured that was a better deal. The tires were 510 total installed (with moving the sensors and new lugnuts). So total it was about $1000. But I'm happy with them. I might try to get some of the other SE accessories. But for now I think it looks much improved with just the SE wheels.

·
Banned
630 Posts
QUOTE (hqen2000 @ Jul 19 2010, 11:06 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=342873
I was going to get some wheels like Aces, but I found these on Ebay for $500 shipped so I figured that was a better deal. The tires were 510 total installed (with moving the sensors and new lugnuts). So total it was about $1000. But I'm happy with them. I might try to get some of the other SE accessories. But for now I think it looks much improved with just the SE wheels.
hope you went with something other than the hankooks that came on them from factory

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, I went with some Nexens or something like that, they were cheap and fairly grippy so that's cool. They'll probably wear quick but that's ok.

·
Banned
630 Posts
QUOTE (hqen2000 @ Jul 19 2010, 11:37 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=342882
Yeah, I went with some Nexens or something like that, they were cheap and fairly grippy so that's cool. They'll probably wear quick but that's ok.
oy...was hoping you would say a quality brand like Continental or Michelin....oh well

·
Registered
424 Posts
gotta be a korean tire on a korean car, otherwise it would be taboo haha.

but yeah korean tires are not as cheap as they used to be, prices are going up, their quality control processes have stepped up long time ago.

it's the wanli's and li long tires u gotta worry about! yes there is such a brand as li long haha...they chinese are getting more creative with
their tire branding, there's one called the "dilette", they are getting creative and using italian words. I think it means thunder!! haha

QUOTE (NT2SHBBY @ Jul 19 2010, 11:43 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=342884
oy...was hoping you would say a quality brand like Continental or Michelin....oh well

·
Banned
630 Posts
QUOTE (mayasonata @ Jul 19 2010, 12:19 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=342896
gotta be a korean tire on a korean car, otherwise it would be taboo haha.

but yeah korean tires are not as cheap as they used to be, prices are going up, their quality control processes have stepped up long time ago.

it's the wanli's and li long tires u gotta worry about! yes there is such a brand as li long haha...they chinese are getting more creative with
their tire branding, there's one called the "dilette", they are getting creative and using italian words. I think it means thunder!! haha
I understand where you're coming from but there's a firm reason why Hyundai used Michelins on the previous gen sonatas for years w/o a hiccup. I love Michelins just tired of paying their ridiculous prices. My friend had michelins on his 2006 sonata from factory and they lasted 80,000 miles before he had to replace them.

·
Banned
630 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
QUOTE (chitown1211 @ Jul 19 2010, 12:53 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=342918
Awesome. My SE wheels are in the mail.

One question for you? What did you use for lugnuts? Regular SE lugs or aftermarket?

I replaced all the lug nuts with standard type. The factory ones have the little washer type thing to keep the hub cap on the car, I wasn't sure if they'd interfere or not so I just replaced them anyway. . I plan on ordering some of those keyed lug nuts so they don't get stolen.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I personally don't like a lot of chrome on cars. I prefer the GLS grill over the other ones with Chrome. But that's just me. I do think it looks nice but it's doubtful I'll go through all the trouble adding it. I might get those 'performance' springs from Shark Racing though. I'm still thinking about it. I just can't decide how much worse the ride will be and if i'm willing to deal with it or not.

I do think these SE rims look FAR better than the cheap GLS hubcaps, that's no surprise though.

I do have to admit that the gearbox in my Sonata isn't very good for performance driving at all. It often grinds when I shift quickly and just generally does not perform very well. I think the throttle dampening has a lot to do with it, I think the throttle inputs are translated to the car completely which causes the issue. I can shift REALLY fast and I think by the time I lift the throttle to make the shift the computer is too delayed which causes the problems. I'm not saying I shift faster than the computer can handle, I think the computer is just designed to smooth throttle inputs to probably increase longevity and general emissions control.

I'm still happy with it, I just wish it didn't have the throttle dampening, it would be wayyy better. But I also the the auto sucks even more in the sonata so I'm cool with my manual. The 'paddle' shifters are a joke, and the car appears to be upshift happy sometimes. People who want to drive with 'performance' really just need to get a manual and shift it slowly.

But with the new tires when I shift into 2nd the trans hits really hard, the tires used to spin a good amount in the 1-2 shift but now with better traction it does not and it feels awful in the car like something is going to break. I drive my cars hard though.

·
Registered
98 Posts

·
Banned
630 Posts
QUOTE (chitown1211 @ Jul 19 2010, 11:07 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=343083
Would you mind looking at your SE lugs and telling me if they have a "washer" at the base?
i wouldn't....but I have to organize my garage as I have a block party on Saturday and I need to figure out how I'm going to get my sonata in the garage with all my detailing supplies and tools out so my mother doesn't come by and start asking me why a new sonata is in my driveway (along with my other 5 cars lol)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts