Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I notice if I drive on anything other than a smooth road the suspension squeaks a lot. Is this normal when its -30C or -22F? Car has 30000km and is 2.5 years old if that makes a diference

·
22,788 Posts
I can't answer for those temps. I'd suspect some plastic components "contracting" a bit. Just as they would "expand" in warmer temps. You may have to wait out the current weather to verify if that's the issue. At -30C? You sure it isn't your bones or teeth rattling?

·
Registered
161 Posts
I notice if I drive on anything other than a smooth road the suspension squeaks a lot. Is this normal when its -30C or -22F? Car has 30000km and is 2.5 years old if that makes a diference
That's curious, I just got home experiencing a noise like a squeak or rattle only on uneven surfaces,and I was thinking that the last couple of days ,that by the way they been really cold ,around -18C,around here I've listening to a noise that reminds me an issue I had with my 09 Elantra ,they replaced the tie rods links twice ,and this sounds like that ,will wait till the weather gets better to see if the noise goes away ,might be weather related.

·
Registered
5,632 Posts
LOL Rich yeah at those temps even breathing is hard haha, but luckily -30°C is rare now. To answer the OP question, it hasn't been that cold yet in Quebec but my Elantra is same year and I never experienced suspension squeak in cold weather, only my dash is squeaking.

·
Registered
461 Posts
My Sonatas front end does that if it's been mild then goes to -20 or more (-33 last night) and I think its just water refreezing form all the ice and slush packed into the front parts like sub frame etc..
My interior is a orchestral piece of squeaks and rattles lol

·
Registered
639 Posts
You should hear my 43 year old Datsun 240Z on really cold days. It must have severe arthritis until things loosen up after a few miles.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
I can't answer for those temps. I'd suspect some plastic components "contracting" a bit. Just as they would "expand" in warmer temps. You may have to wait out the current weather to verify if that's the issue. At -30C? You sure it isn't your bones or teeth rattling?
Ugh, I don't think I'd even venture outside at those temps until it was at least back above 0°....oh wait, make that above 30° !!

·
Registered
71 Posts
In Canada here and even -5c - 10c my Elantra 2011 suspension starts to make all sorts of noise. It's annoying but doesn't change much the older the car gets I find. Right now at 65,000 km and it's the same level of squeaky as always.

·
Registered
261 Posts
It's been -30C a few times here so far this winter and no squeaky suspension heard for me yet. And with the crazy amount of snow we have been getting the roads are rough as **** too.

·
Registered
5,632 Posts
It's been -30C a few times here so far this winter and no squeaky suspension heard for me yet. And with the crazy amount of snow we have been getting the roads are rough as **** too.
viva Alberta, we got our first -22°C today and there's barely 5 cm of the white stuff on the ground.

·
Registered
175 Posts
In Canada here and even -5c - 10c my Elantra 2011 suspension starts to make all sorts of noise. It's annoying but doesn't change much the older the car gets I find. Right now at 65,000 km and it's the same level of squeaky as always.
I have the same kind of squeak when temp. drop below 0°C. Car has 62000 km. Front and rear make noise every winter. Looks like poor suspension. Don't know what to do with that.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
I think at lower temperature extremes many vehicles would make more unusual noises just because rubber and urethane and other plastic materials are just cold as heck. In other vehicles with better insulation the sounds might be better muffled. I wouldn't say it's because of poor suspension or cheap build.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts