Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hy everyone need advise on bottom suspension ball joint had to have two new ones for MOT both sides but one has failed again yes the parts was compatible parts but one side has passed and the other has failed again any sugestions would be great please advise thankyou all

·
22,788 Posts
Question, mate: Do the parts carry a lifetime warranty from the shop where they were purchased? How long has it been since they were replaced?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The car have had it for 2 years remember one side has passed the MOT the other has not and thats after putting two ball joints on one side and still failed im wondering now about the pinch bolt

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The car have had it for 2 years remember one side has passed the MOT the other has not and thats after putting two ball joints on one side and still failed im wondering now about the pinch bolt

·
22,788 Posts
If I'm not misunderstanding, are vehicles that are 3 years old and newer exempt from the MOT? There's a form to fill out to apply for this exemption? I didn't know what year trajet you have. I was going by your "join" date on the forum.

The quickest way to pass the test would be to replace the defective ball joint. Then reapply. Is the MOP test approval good for one year, longer?

Something caused this to fail, mate. Have a friend that is a mechanic that you could ask? Or maybe stop by a garage and ask one of the guys in there?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hy the car is a 2002 I just cannot understand why I have bought the ball joints from same company and two have failed on one side to start off both sides failed the mot so this is why I am now woundering if the pinch bolt wants replacing any sugestion thankyou

·
22,788 Posts
The bolt could be the problem. Is the MOT saying that the ball joint is loose? Is there a salvage yard nearby where you could get another one and see if it holds more securely?

·
Registered
907 Posts
@ ratface: would you mind to write in a more structured manner ? It is quite hard to follow if you write as you think.
There is no 2 line limitation here for your posts.

To your problem:

Did you install the joints ?

Which ones (L,R) when/after what mileage ? I couldn't extract that from your posts.

Which ones does your Jet have ? Press-fit or 3-bolt flange version ?

Where did you get the parts from (what brand) ? There's a lot of junk parts out there.

I had steering rods that failed after 2weeks with torn rubber boots and feelable play in the joints. Made in China, remarketed/relabeled in Poland.

The 3-bolt joint is ~60€ at your Hyundai dealer, and that's parts that last. Given the amount of work to replace them, have the alignment redone each time the extra expense (vs. 'equivalent' parts) could pay off quickly.

If the pinch bolt wouldn't hold it you should be able to feel that it does't get tight when torqueing it to spec.

That is quite unlikely but you should be able to easily differentiate if it's the pinch or the joint itself that fails. The MOT tester should have told you, too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts