Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys!

So I have seen few people been watching our car latley (Range between 1-6 months) and I have seen people going to the front window and watching what's inside the car... I mean I can accept if some people likes how it looks because it is a beautiful car I agree..

However today our neighbour said today that a guy came to our car and took photos of our car and when the neighbour came he fast hide his camera.. I mean I shouldn't really care since I live on a apartment but iam still abit consider that maybe its a purchase order to steal the car?

So what I basically want to ask is what should I do to prevent or just make sure so they wont steal it because it would end up badly if it gets stolen somehow now.. So all tips or whatever.. Please feel free to help me!

Its a 2016 Ultimate version (Full req).

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
That would bug the crap out of me. Any way you can set up a camera to monitor?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That would bug the crap out of me. Any way you can set up a camera to monitor?
Well I could but I don't know how that would work. Because I live in a apartment and im at level 2 which can be very hard to see at all.. I don't even know how they would be able to hack it?

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Well I could but I don't know how that would work. Because I live in a apartment and im at level 2 which can be very hard to see at all.. I don't even know how they would be able to hack it?

At least you might get a shot of whoever is doing it, in case something does happen. Nothing you can do if they want to steal it. A good thief can bypass every measure you put in place.

·
Registered
846 Posts
If they are doing reconnaissance, then get some car alarm stickers and place them on the windows. You don't actually have to have a car alarm. Just buy the stickers. A few bucks, they sell them on ebay.

·
Registered
941 Posts
The oddest part of the whole thing is that someone is taking pictures of the car....... a thief isn't going to take pictures, generally, for any reason that I can think of. If it were some sort of a set up like here's a photo of this car now go and steal it, it would be easy enough to say go to this location and get this car... no picture needed, and that would be a one time visit to your car.. not a repeat event. Maybe an online car for sale scam with pictures of your car? Who knows...

Strange situation indeed.....

A dash cam setup would at least possibly give you pictures of anyone around your car so that if something did happen or you repeatedly saw the same person... you'd have evidence of them.

The Blackvue system I have is front and rear with parking mode and motion detection... sounds like you could use one yourself.

The only other thing I can think of is that you are scamming some type of disability / workers comp / insurance / whatever-other-thing and an investigator is coming by checking up on your activities.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I mean. I guess we all have seen Keyless car hacks like standing in front of your car and take singal back to the car ish?

and I guess they maybe do something like that in that case? What could be a prevention of that in that case?

·
Registered
13,351 Posts
Hello guys!

So I have seen few people been watching our car latley (Range between 1-6 months) and I have seen people going to the front window and watching what's inside the car... I mean I can accept if some people likes how it looks because it is a beautiful car I agree..

However today our neighbour said today that a guy came to our car and took photos of our car and when the neighbour came he fast hide his camera.. I mean I shouldn't really care since I live on a apartment but iam still abit consider that maybe its a purchase order to steal the car?

So what I basically want to ask is what should I do to prevent or just make sure so they wont steal it because it would end up badly if it gets stolen somehow now.. So all tips or whatever.. Please feel free to help me!

Its a 2016 Ultimate version (Full req).
Um...have you called the cops yet...?

·
Registered
142 Posts
The oddest part of the whole thing is that someone is taking pictures of the car....... a thief isn't going to take pictures, generally, for any reason that I can think of. If it were some sort of a set up like here's a photo of this car now go and steal it, it would be easy enough to say go to this location and get this car... no picture needed, and that would be a one time visit to your car.. not a repeat event. Maybe an online car for sale scam with pictures of your car? Who knows...

Strange situation indeed.....

A dash cam setup would at least possibly give you pictures of anyone around your car so that if something did happen or you repeatedly saw the same person... you'd have evidence of them.

The Blackvue system I have is front and rear with parking mode and motion detection... sounds like you could use one yourself.

The only other thing I can think of is that you are scamming some type of disability / workers comp / insurance / whatever-other-thing and an investigator is coming by checking up on your activities.
Hey,

A front/rear dash cam with parking/motion detection is a good start perhaps one that can upload to the cloud too. Perhaps request your apartment complex to put up surveillance system since the parking area is unsecured.
Then there is the usual car alarm, and steering wheel lock.

Where I live theft is a common problem, so besides the OEM immobilizer I had the dealer install an alarm with the flashing light as well. There are some systems that will notify you if the alarm is triggered. The next step that I am checking is a gps type system (e.g., Tramigo T23) which will text me when the car is moved and I can track the car and shut down with text message. The only thing left is a service that will track and retrieve the car in the event it is stolen/car jacked.

As people have pointed out, there is not much you can do to stop a determined thief.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Well I mean. I guess we all have seen Keyless car hacks like standing in front of your car and take singal back to the car ish?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ti79UhY0TGc

and I guess they maybe do something like that in that case? What could be a prevention of that in that case?
The key hack requires you to keep the keys near the vehicle. In each of those cases the keys were near a front door (because people keep keys in a bowl or on a hook by the door) which was close enough for the car to recognize the key was close by allowing the thief to intercept the signal.

The car already has an alarm and ignition immobilizer on it. I'd be more worried about wheels and tires being stolen---as honestly I've curbed 2 of mine and would like a new set of clean shiny wheels (just saying).

·
Registered
320 Posts
Growing up, my father would look at cars he was interested in purchasing at church, shopping centers ect. He would stare in the windows. It may have looked like he was casing the car, but he was just interested. Maybe that is what is happening here.

·
Retired Staff
11,818 Posts
Tint windows and use a sunshade all the time. Can hardly see anything in daytime and nothing at night.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts