Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

Has anyone experienced a loud bang coming from the rear of the car,sounds like it come from under the rear seats.This noise only happens when the fuel tank is half full or less and occurs when slowing down and even when the car has come to a complete stop at a robot.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I think the most likely fault here is a rubber exhaust hanger has snapped, allowing the
exhaust to hang askew and touch the bodywork or whatever.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have traced the same sound to the steel backing plate that is welded between the side members of the seat on the smaller of the two folding rear seats. It makes a sound like a round biscuit tin lid but much deeper in tone due to the thickness of the substantial steel backing plate. It can be reproduced by any light weight rear seat passenger pushing his or her back gently against the seat back. Heavier rear seat passengers tend to keep it pressed into the fully stressed position. It can also occur when slowing down as the stresses in the seat back change with suspension movement. I believe this might be described as 'an i20 design characteristic' and does not constitute any hazard. I will ask Hyundai if they have 'a fix' for it at my 2nd year Service.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just get the vehcile on height so that you check the underbody,may be the rubber isolator that holds the exhaut with under body has issue.
Issue doesnot seem to be of Fuel tank.
Regards
Pisean.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have traced the same sound to the steel backing plate that is welded between the side members of the seat on the smaller of the two folding rear seats. It makes a sound like a round biscuit tin lid but much deeper in tone due to the thickness of the substantial steel backing plate. It can be reproduced by any light weight rear seat passenger pushing his or her back gently against the seat back. Heavier rear seat passengers tend to keep it pressed into the fully stressed position. It can also occur when slowing down as the stresses in the seat back change with suspension movement. I believe this might be described as 'an i20 design characteristic' and does not constitute any hazard. I will ask Hyundai if they have 'a fix' for it at my 2nd year Service.
That's a great bit of fault finding.....:) and explains the noise and "design characteristic" perfectly . Well done..:)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the same problem (loud bang when lightly pushing breaks or even at a complete stand still).
I took it to a Hyundai dealership and they concluded that it was the fuel tank. They explained that it's almost like sucking the air our of a coke bottle (it crinkles) and afterwards pushing air back in for it to expand making a thumb like noise. I have just booked it in for the fuel tank replacement and hopefully all should be 100% again when i collect it this afternoon.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the same problem (loud bang when lightly pushing breaks or even at a complete stand still).
I took it to a Hyundai dealership and they concluded that it was the fuel tank. They explained that it's almost like sucking the air our of a coke bottle (it crinkles) and afterwards pushing air back in for it to expand making a thumb like noise. I have just booked it in for the fuel tank replacement and hopefully all should be 100% again when i collect it this afternoon.
Hello, just wondering, did replacing the fuel tank resolved the issue for you?
I have the same issue with my car.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Replacing the tank worked for us after a long and drawn out argument with a Hyundai service centre. Noise now completely gone

·
Registered
1 Posts
Replacing the tank worked for us after a long and drawn out argument with a Hyundai service centre. Noise now completely gone
What vehicle model and year did you have this problem with? I have a 2013 Hyundai Azera with the same problem. The dealer says it is the fuel tank but will not replace it free of charge when it was under warranty.

·
Registered
4 Posts
We have the same problem. Does anyone know if its dangerous not to replace the fuel tank and just live with it? We will try to get a new fuel cap, but after a service and brakes to try and fix the problem at R4700, a fuel tank replacement is not currently an option!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same problem.... I have a 2010 model hyundai i20 and it sucksair from the petrol tank, took it to hyundai but they won't fix or replace the tank for free.

Best thing is to replace it because eventually it will start to leak.... Mine is leaking and I have to buy the tank for 5.3k

1 - 12 of 12 Posts