Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Started to read up on the car last night and already found two:

1) Not to let the car idle for longer than 3 minutes during run in - still have to work this one out - overheating ??? :mellow:
2) They are very strict in what type of gas is allowed. Nothing more than 20% ethanol (i.e no flex fuel) and absolutely NO methanol - not a problem for me since I only use top tier in all my cars but I believe that owners should take note

·
Registered
326 Posts
QUOTE (RamKat @ Jun 3 2010, 05:52 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=329343

1) Not to let the car idle for longer than 3 minutes during run in - still have to work this one out - overheating ??? :mellow:
2) They are very strict in what type of gas is allowed. Nothing more than 20% ethanol (i.e no flex fuel) and absolutely NO methanol - not a problem for me since I only use top tier in all my cars but I believe that owners should take note
Probably not related to potential overheating, but perhaps more to do with not keeping the engine at the exact same speed for too long. That's long been one of the least controversial practices of proper breaki-in: vary the engine speed frequently.

Funny, but my newbie salesperson in suburban Chicago gave me what had to be a 15-20 minute tutorial on all the interior controls and functions, all while the darn engine was idling. The car had less than 20 miles on it. I wasn't too happy when I read that portion in the manual after I got home. I made sure to inform her.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
QUOTE (Klooks Kleek @ Jun 3 2010, 07:11 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=329351
Funny, but my newbie salesperson in suburban Chicago gave me what had to be a 15-20 minute tutorial on all the interior controls and functions, all while the darn engine was idling. The car had less than 20 miles on it. I wasn't too happy when I read that portion in the manual after I got home. I made sure to inform her.
Ditto here - I was very upset when I read about it in the manual. Sad thing is it is in my case it was not a newbie- I will email him about it. I think they probably want to avoid that warning screen to come up when you run the radio off the battery. Fortunately, I figured the Nav out before he got to the car so I told him to skip that part - was still a bad ten minutes of idling though.

PS Coincidentally my avatar is me sitting in the car on my own figuring some stuff out before the salesperson was done with another customer - my daughter took the picture

·
Registered
78 Posts
QUOTE (RamKat @ Jun 3 2010, 06:52 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=329343

1) It's not good for any engine to sit at idle for too long, this is not a Sonata or a Hyundai thing. It does nasty things like increase engine deposits, and can contribute to condensation building in your exhaust system. That's ignoring the wasted gas and excessive pollution.

2) Ethanol is the devil. Most modern engines are designed to run 15-20% ethanol and will handle that reliably over time. Too much ethanol will cause seals in your fuel system and engine to corrode and lead to serious damage over time.

Edit - my salesman decided to waste an hour telling me about the car, but I kept shutting it off. I think he was annoyed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts