Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I"m having a problem with our Santa Fe LWB limited with Tech package (dual zone climate).

The fan speed will constantly be surging, dipping, and changing.
this happens most noticably on setting 3, 4, and 5. we do not use auto, only manual setting of the fan speed. it happens when the dual temps are set the same and different, it happens with AC off and AC on, and with recirculate off and recirculate on.

this happens when driving steady down the road. this happens when sitting idling, it happens more noticeably when speeding up or slowing down. when you come to a stop the fan will surge and drop a few times before settling out. One way i could describe the problem would be it almost feels like a bad ground or bad fuse. the way the fan surges and dips feel, it like there are small variances in voltage that are causing the fan to have the dips and surges in speed. Our fan had had the issue addressed by the recall where the fan would completely stop even though the dash still said it was on and the only way to get the fan back on was to shut off and restart the vehicle. that has not happened since the first recall repair but the fan surging/dipping/speed changes are still happening. its very annoying. sometimes the fluctuation are so significant that it is almost like someone changed the fan up or down a whole fan speed setting. the fluctuation can last anywhere from 1 second to 5 seconds and there is no patten or consistency to the surges, its almost like a loose wire and as it jiggles randomly, the fan surges. i've brought this up to the dealer but they didn't want to hear it.

It has been to the Dealer 5 times now and after this last time they told me i needed to find another Santa Fe like mine to see if others like mine do the same thing to know if this is actually normal behavior.

They have replaced a blower controller once, did not fix it.
They replaced the recalled blower resister once. did not fix it. actually made the problem worse.
They replaced the recalled blower resister a second time. did not fix it.

I've been calling Dealers around my area and none of them have a LWB with tech and dual zone climate that they can see if those vehicles do the same thing.

The lead tech as Allan Turner Hyundai in Pensacola, Fl told me they called Hyundai corporate and Hyundai corporate tech rep did not know if the behavior was normal behavior or not and was the one who recommended i find another vehicle like mine to see if it does it as well.

Does anyone else have a 2013 LWB with dual zone climate? has anyone else heard of this issue or experiencing this issue? its very annoying to be driving and constantly have your fan changing. i can't imagine that this is normal behavior and feel i was somewhat being giving the brush off by the dealer as they didn't want to deal with my car a 6th time.

i've googled and searched and i don't see any other info available on this issue either.....thanks for the help.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I"m having a problem with our Santa Fe LWB limited with Tech package (dual zone climate).

this happens most noticably on setting 3, 4, and 5. we do not use auto, only manual setting of the fan speed. it happens when the dual temps are set the same and different, it happens with AC off and AC on, and with recirculate off and recirculate on.

this happens when driving steady down the road. this happens when sitting idling, it happens more noticeably when speeding up or slowing down. when you come to a stop the fan will surge and drop a few times before settling out. One way i could describe the problem would be it almost feels like a bad ground or bad fuse. the way the fan surges and dips feel, it like there are small variances in voltage that are causing the fan to have the dips and surges in speed. Our fan had had the issue addressed by the recall where the fan would completely stop even though the dash still said it was on and the only way to get the fan back on was to shut off and restart the vehicle. that has not happened since the first recall repair but the fan surging/dipping/speed changes are still happening. its very annoying. sometimes the fluctuation are so significant that it is almost like someone changed the fan up or down a whole fan speed setting. the fluctuation can last anywhere from 1 second to 5 seconds and there is no patten or consistency to the surges, its almost like a loose wire and as it jiggles randomly, the fan surges. i've brought this up to the dealer but they didn't want to hear it.

It has been to the Dealer 5 times now and after this last time they told me i needed to find another Santa Fe like mine to see if others like mine do the same thing to know if this is actually normal behavior.

They replaced the recalled blower resister once. did not fix it. actually made the problem worse.

I've been calling Dealers around my area and none of them have a LWB with tech and dual zone climate that they can see if those vehicles do the same thing.

The lead tech as Allan Turner Hyundai in Pensacola, Fl told me they called Hyundai corporate and Hyundai corporate tech rep did not know if the behavior was normal behavior or not and was the one who recommended i find another vehicle like mine to see if it does it as well.

Does anyone else have a 2013 LWB with dual zone climate? has anyone else heard of this issue or experiencing this issue? its very annoying to be driving and constantly have your fan changing. i can't imagine that this is normal behavior and feel i was somewhat being giving the brush off by the dealer as they didn't want to deal with my car a 6th time.

i've googled and searched and i don't see any other info available on this issue either.....thanks for the help.
I don't have a 2013 LWB but the same thing you describe is happening to my 2009 SE, all the time, just like yours but it's not a "dual zone" system.

I'm not aware of the "recall" you've described for the blower resistor. Can you tell me about this recall, please.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Appologies, the recall was this:
Blower PWM Module replace
FP Number 97235-4RAA0 Transistor Field

It was a recall on the transistor that controls the blower and was causing it cut out and the blower to shut off until the car was restarted.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
they have replaced this PWM module on my car twice now. the fluctuations got noticeably worse after they replaced this the first time and did not change after they replaced it the second time.

·
Registered
756 Posts
I have not seen this issue on my LWB with dual climate. It does not sound like a normal behavior either.

·
Registered
622 Posts

I wonder if they scanned the climate control for any dtc's? Do you have bluelink? If so, you can check yourself.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
it has bluelink but we didn't pay for the service beyond the trial. they haven't said if they scanned it at the dealer.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So, i just found out that Allan Turner Hyundai has had a few Limited LWB's with Tech package on their lot now. Found it out by searching hyundai inventory website. I called the general manager there, explained the issues. after convincing him it would be inconvenient for me to drive 1 hour each way just to look for myself, i asked if there was any way one of them could go check one for me. General manager said he would and would call me back in an hour or two. That was Tuesday. Now, its Thursday, and he's not returning my phone messages. Guess i'll be making a trip out there anyway though because i just noticed that the weather stripping on rear driver door is coming off.....getting a little annoyed after dropping close to $40K, 5 trips to the dealer so far, a car that's quite annoying to drive due to the constant fan speed fluctuation, creaks and groans in the rear end and has weather stripping peeling off....after 6 months of having it.....and now a dealer telling me to find another car myself and a general manager who won't call me back....

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update - Hyundai corporate has now opened a case file on this car about this issue and has told me that this behavior is not normal. waiting for the dealer to get back to me now on a course of action.....

·
Registered
81 Posts
I am also going into the dealership on Thursday for something very similar but in a 2009 not dual climate, also this voltage drop does dim my headlights as well. I will come back with information so see far they have gone with this .

·
Registered
244 Posts
I am also going into the dealership on Thursday for something very similar but in a 2009 not dual climate, also this voltage drop does dim my headlights as well. I will come back with information so see far they have gone with this .
I'm having this problem on my 2009 also but no headlights dimming. Will wait to hear back from you.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I just worry they are going to charge me an arm and a leg since I am the second owner but I do have extended warranty and I'm 75k miles right now. Would this be typically something the dealer would cover, I don't believe I saw a service tech announcement on our model.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Update - I was told today by the dealer that the fan system works via Computer controlled voltage regulator to regulate the speed of the fan. i asked they why then does mine fluctuate so bad.

In my mind, either the computer isn't sending the correct voltage commands, the regulator isn't working correctly, or the fan is binding up or not functioning correctly based on the voltage commands it gets. Dealer recommended i follow back up with Hyundai corporate regarding the initial claim i filed through them as the dealer had no solution but they didn't have much to say to my points.

more to follow.....so ready for the issues to stop with this car

·
Registered
622 Posts
Update - I was told today by the dealer that the fan system works via Computer controlled voltage regulator to regulate the speed of the fan. i asked they why then does mine fluctuate so bad.

In my mind, either the computer isn't sending the correct voltage commands, the regulator isn't working correctly, or the fan is binding up or not functioning correctly based on the voltage commands it gets. Dealer recommended i follow back up with Hyundai corporate regarding the initial claim i filed through them as the dealer had no solution but they didn't have much to say to my points.

more to follow.....so ready for the issues to stop with this car
Since it seems they've replaced the major components, I'm wondering a few things. 1-Do you have a phone connected via Bluetooth? The reason I ask is, if the fan speed is up on a higher speed and you receive a call, it'll turn the fan speed down so there won't be any noise going into the mic and so you can hear better. I wonder if the audio unit is malfunctioning and messing with the fan speed? It's kinda out there I know, but worth a try disconnecting your phone from the vehicle and seeing if it still malfunctions.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
nope. no phone connected and nothing synced to the car. the fan fluctuates with no radio on. with radio on. with the radio at varying audio settings, with a CD playing. with no accessory AC load, with AC outlets in use charging phones and IPADS and all 4 seat warmers on and steering wheel heat on and headlights and fog lights on. with windows open, with windows closed.

Appreciate the idea though, i woudn't have thought of that.

·
Registered
622 Posts
nope. no phone connected and nothing synced to the car. the fan fluctuates with no radio on. with radio on. with the radio at varying audio settings, with a CD playing. with no accessory AC load, with AC outlets in use charging phones and IPADS and all 4 seat warmers on and steering wheel heat on and headlights and fog lights on. with windows open, with windows closed.

Appreciate the idea though, i woudn't have thought of that.
Hmm, I suppose it's still worth a try to play with the radio. Even if no phone is synced, and it's turned off, a malfunction plays by no rules. Perhaps pulling the audio fuse to ensure no power is going to the radio would take it out of play completely. I know it's no fun for you, but just wanted to throw another idea out there since there's not much luck anywhere else. Good luck

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Appreciate it. i'll give it a try. its definately worth a shot. i can see the logic behind your idea, makes sense if that was what it was trying to do.

·
Registered
74 Posts
steve636, I have a GLS w/ tech, had the A/C issue fixed, and have noticed what you describe, only ours happens in AUTO mode, and only happens occasionally. Will be interested to know what happens to your case and what course of action they take.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ours, it happens in both Auto mode and in manual mode. more noticable in manual mode as the system isn't then automatically changing the fan speed on top of the surging

·
Registered
622 Posts
ours, it happens in both Auto mode and in manual mode. more noticable in manual mode as the system isn't then automatically changing the fan speed on top of the surging
Any luck with disconnecting power to the radio? I'm quite interested in what'll happen.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts