Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so my friend and i were talking the other day and the idea came up to supercharge the engine. so what would b necessary to do this project ? besides the supercharger injectors and inter-cooler ?

we just b crazy and have a couple of bucks to spend :p

·
Registered
419 Posts
You would need a different engine (V6-V8), new transmission, new engine mounts, a different chassis, new suspension, better brakes. Crap! I think you may need a whole new car! Please take no offense, but you really would need to do alot to this car to get big Horsepower. As a side note, I have never seen a supercharged 4-banger. If you really want to do anything to get more ponies, you might be able to model after the Veloster using a Turbo, but even then you would have to upgrade and rework much of previously mentioned and maybe more. Hopefully your "couple of bucks" is more like $10k or more.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Is almost the same stuff like a turbo project. The advantage of supercharger is a lot of power on low rpm.

Always the SC remember Mad Max movie and his car B)

·
Registered
563 Posts
Miatas can be supercharged and intercooled, so yes 4cyl's can be supercharged. Not sure how to do it with the Accent. Just get the turbokit from the Veloster.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Your Mad Max blower is lacking the rotors inside the blower case.. notice that the rear blower case cover is missing the 2 roller bearing in the rear cover.. is is just a flat aluminum end plate seen in the video.. running by, it is lacking the belt whine from the load of the rotors under pressure in the blower case

·
Registered
563 Posts
The turbo lag must be ridiculous, but once it spools WATCH OUT. I love how the exhaust comes out the hood. Wish I could do that with my cars. Save weight and materials.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Isn't that an Accent?
Sadly no, Elantra GT. I wish the Accent looked like that. I would have got the 5dr if it did. A lot of the things that went into the Elantra GT are things that were cut from the RB Concept (projector headlights, more aggressive front bumper cover, etc).

·
Registered
419 Posts
Miatas can be supercharged and intercooled, so yes 4cyl's can be supercharged. Not sure how to do it with the Accent. Just get the turbokit from the Veloster.
I believe they can, I have just never seen one. There must be a reason why people don't do it often. I have also seen a Miata with a 5.0 V8 in it, but the car was rebuilt from the ground up. And yes, Turbokit from Veloster is IMO best option for Accent without rebuilding the drivetrain. Even still, I don't think it would be a plug-n-play install.

·
Registered
546 Posts
We can't just boost our motors. The compression is 11something:1 ... Not boost friendly, AT ALL.

The Turbo Veloster has different pistons (dished) that drops the static compression ratio down to about 8.5:1.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Also K series can be SC also. Well you know how much Bisimoto kit cost to turboed that GT? Probably around 10k. ecu , pistons, rods, Cams, Turbo, injectors, manifold ,piping , clutch, intercooler, bov, Dyno, Tuning, maybe stronger sleeves. The GT engine is aluminum. Do the math. From that car I want the front lip, skirts and the rear extension. Also what kind of suspensions Bisi has?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Any car can be supercharged, in fact there are many benefits to supercharging like better low end power and no compressor lag. In addition to the things you mentioned you will need a ecu management system. You could probably use the stock pistons but you wouldn't be able to run much boost.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Turbo from or made for veloster is best option for more air in. Bench tunes are possible as well as a flash tuner however only custom bench tune currently available. Tune will be a must!!!!! After that you will be limited by oem pistons, rods, plugs, transmission, ect. In na form bolt ons and bench tune can get you in the range of a stock veloster turbo, 160-170whp range (stock is 110-120whp). How much power factory parts will tolerate after that is unknown on the accent.
Fyi veloster turbo is 9.5:1 cr while accent is 11:1.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Too high of compression in the Accent to run much boost. From what I've read, the Veloster has less compression so it can use a turbo.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts