• Supercharger

Votes: 5 62.5%
  • Turbo

Votes: 3 37.5%
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
What JoeLasVegas said. These engines aren't designed for higher compression. I've built more engines than I can count, including blown and turbo'd.

My 1998 BMW M3 is naturally aspirated (NA) and I O-ringed the block around the cylinders to ensure I wouldn't blow the head gasket. That block can handle it. I have aftermarket crankshaft, bearings, rods, pistons, cam, valves and heads. 12.0:1 compression.

·
Registered
2022 Santa Fe PHEV Phantom Black Pearl
727 Posts
The Hybrid has a Turbo 1.6 already. Due to all the management on the vehicle from the perspective of the hybrid system and the existing management, I'd recommended talking to a professional tuner shop initially, but whatever you do will likely invalidate any warranty you have, and may cause issues with the engine and/ or vehicle as a whole. Best of luck with whatever you do.

·
Registered
‘19 Santa Fe Ultimate 2.0T; ‘22 Tucson Limited 2.5
2,792 Posts
What JoeLasVegas said. These engines aren't designed for higher compression. I've built more engines than I can count, including blown and turbo'd.

My 1998 BMW M3 is naturally aspirated (NA) and I O-ringed the block around the cylinders to ensure I wouldn't blow the head gasket. That block can handle it. I have aftermarket crankshaft, bearings, rods, pistons, cam, valves and heads. 12.0:1 compression.
I’ve got a competition clutch with four on the floor. And she purrs like a kitten 'til the lake pipes roar. I get pushed out of shape and it's hard to steer, when I get rubber in all four gears.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Turbo charging / supercharging a Santa fe hybrid.?? i own a 2014 S.F. factory stock Turbocharged 2.0 thetta engine like the vehicle because its been very reliable but its a Santa Fe suv and will remain that way its an everyday suv i wont mod change anything on it. if i wanted a performance vehicle i would buy something like "Mercedes AMG, or Audi R8" as an example all i can say is

wether you choose a turbo or supercharger make sure you have a good ECU Tuner guy that can plug into your engines ECU & adjust all its variables to the component or components you choose to install on the engine to get the maximum performance & life out of the engine with-out destroying it. Good Luck

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
I have aftermarket crankshaft, bearings, rods, pistons, cam, valves and heads.
I’ve got a competition clutch with four on the floor.
If the OP were mechanically savvy as you guys he wouldn't be asking the question he did.
That's why I suggest a turn key solution for him.

·
Registered
2019 Santa Fe Ultimate 2.0T AWD
1,552 Posts
If the OP were mechanically savvy as you guys he wouldn't be asking the question he did.
Yeah "mechanically savvy". The guy who's 1st post here is a crazy pants idea that he is "thinking about" doing by rebuilding his hybrid engine, but he's not "mechanically savvy."

I think you meant to use the word "troll".....

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
troll could be..? but once more. "turbocharging or supercharging" is possible on any vehicle as long as the owner has the necessary funds $ available its possible." the thing is a Santa Fe even with a modified stiffer sportier suspension it still would make it a tipsy vehicle for going around hard corners & turns due to its high center of gravity making it in my opinion not the ideal sport suv to own. Just saying again there are higher class much better factory high powered engineered vehicles that come to mind.

·
Registered
‘19 Santa Fe Ultimate 2.0T; ‘22 Tucson Limited 2.5
2,792 Posts
Would a turn key solution work for a push button ignition vehicle? Not likely. 🤣

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
you want torque, not horsepower. with that in mind, increasing the electric motor would be way more practical. dunno if it can be done, but the electric motor puts out a helluva lot more torque than the gas motor. then, you dont have to worry about fuel/timing, blowing up the bottom end, and all the other problems associated with fi.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Messing with a modern engine, especially a turbo one (which are close to their max stress levels), is just stupid IMO. But the 'solution' to just buy a BMW X5M, GLx AMG, etc., is equally stupid, since they cost 3 times more, and most people with a SF can't afford one. I actually can, but no freaking way I'd even consider one, because they're just not worth it. What people need to learn to live with that you can have/afford :). Most of us don't have a super model wife, and we're not trying to make one out of them with plastic surgery, right? You accept them like they are. So do the same with the vehicles you can afford. If you can afford one of those uber fast SUV in the future, and that's your goal to have one, then have at it. But if you're already making some sacrifices to own a brand new SF, why risk its warranty messing with the engine? The turbo ones are plenty fast, so there's no need for more power, especially without modifying everything else, like the suspension and brakes. And then you'd end up with a chassis not designed for more power. So just learn how to live with the way it was designed :).

1 - 20 of 28 Posts