Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife's 2013 7 passenger SF 3.3 AWD started making a faint tapping sound from somewhere in the drivetrain yesterday. I made an appt with the dealership today and drove it about 12 miles there. I heard the sound the whole way, especially while under load. They diagnosed it as the AWD coupler with a $630 labor and $929.12 parts estimate for a grand total of $1,559.12. I'm worried that it's actually the entire rear diff though, and not just the coupling. From what I've gathered, if the coupler fails, you lose AWD and maybe hear some sort of constant bearing noise or whirring noise. Please listen to the noise in the video and see if it's anything you've heard before. I've searched all the threads on here and it doesn't seem like the issue I'm experiencing is a common one. Thanks all! (I cross posted this in the short wheelbase forum as well).

Reactions: mjonis

·
Registered
2017 Santa Fe XL Luxury
47 Posts
Here's a stupid question. Did you check to make sure your wheel lug nuts are tight and check the tire treads for foreign objects. One time I actually found a large bolt stuck in one of my treads. The noise was similar to yours. Anyway good luck.

·
Registered
4,058 Posts
Here's a stupid question. Did you check to make sure your wheel lug nuts are tight and check the tire treads for foreign objects. One time I actually found a large bolt stuck in one of my treads. The noise was similar to yours. Anyway good luck.
It is not a stupid question! I had the same with the lug nuts!!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I took it to an independent shop and it was the rear diff. $800 parts and labor. Good as new. Change your diff oil kids!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts