Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone... I'm getting sunroof rattle when driving over bumpy roads on days when the temp is in the 40s and 50s. Doesn't seem too bad on warmer days. Not sure how long this has been going on since I normally drive with the sunroof open - which it doesn't rattle in that position. Anyone else have issues with sunroof rattle?

·
Registered
212 Posts
Nothing in my Azera rattles. Literally. That's a pretty common comment around here too. I'd take it in and let the dealer track down the loose screw (or whatever gremlin is creating the noise).

·
Registered
550 Posts
I had something rattling around thought it might be the sunroof. It still might be but I moved some items in my trunk and the last few days no rattles. Check your trunk first.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
I have also found that if the passengers side seat belt is slightly twisted that will cause the belt buckle to rattle against the plastic B post.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. It's pretty clear it's coming from the sunroof. - Glass rattle has a distinct sound, (sounds like glass rattling... lol) I just wanted to make sure it wasn't something that was a known issue. My last car, (new 2007 Scion tc) had a sunroof rattle as well and going back and forth to the dealer to get it fixed really started to wear on me; so you can imagine the flashbacks going through my head right now, hoping this will be fixed the first time I bring it to them.

Thanks again for the replies guys...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys. It's pretty clear it's coming from the sunroof. - Glass rattle has a distinct sound, (sounds like glass rattling... lol) I just wanted to make sure it wasn't something that was a known issue. My last car, (new 2007 Scion tc) had a sunroof rattle as well and going back and forth to the dealer to get it fixed really started to wear on me; so you can imagine the flashbacks going through my head right now, hoping this will be fixed the first time I bring it to them.

Thanks again for the replies guys...
Update: Appointment scheduled for Monday morning... Hope this will be a quick fix... Sunroof rattles seem to follow me; even on a car that's known for no cabin noise. sigh... :( Can't make this stuff up.

·
Registered
559 Posts
I had a creaking noise on my Sonata's panoroof in the rear (where roof and rear window meet). Dealer couldn't figure it out. I sprayed some silicone lubricant all over the joints, and it's been quiet for about a year now. Worth a try.

I feel your pain. Nothing takes away the enjoyment of a new car like a rattle/creak that you hear ALL of the time.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
No rattles on mine 7 months in. I had some on my 2011 Sonata. The dealer should be able to fix.

Be persistent if they don't get it on the first try. I had to take my Sonata back for a few of my issues, including a creak in the headliner. The key is being able to duplicate the issue. Once I figured out how to make the headliner noise repeat itself, I was able to show the tech. That made the fix pretty easy. I also had a buzz in the left door speaker on the Sonata. Same method.... show them the noise.

Let us know how you make out.

·
Registered
550 Posts
The passenger seat belt can be a cause as well. I have noticed that the seatbelt down by the floor when not straight will bump against the plastic setback causing noise. Haven't had it happen of late but did notice it a weeks back.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The passenger seat belt can be a cause as well. I have noticed that the seatbelt down by the floor when not straight will bump against the plastic setback causing noise. Haven't had it happen of late but did notice it a weeks back.
Thanks, I had that happen just last night and I knew exactly what it was. Sunroof rattle is different; almost sounds like a piece of glass being vibrated in a loose window pane on a windy day. With the sunroof, it rattles on bumpy roads, like when a road has a lot of bumpy repaired pot holes. With my issue, it's more pronounced on cooler days... If the temps are in the mid 60's + then it's not as pronounced.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nothing in my Azera rattles. Literally. That's a pretty common comment around here too. I'd take it in and let the dealer track down the loose screw (or whatever gremlin is creating the noise).
You called it FlySwatter! Service rep said the tech tightened some loose screws and lubricated the hinges. All 'seems' better but I won't know for sure until tomorrow when the temperature is cooler. Hope this is it!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts