Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a 2013 GT with the Style and Tech package which comes with the panoramic sunroof in early Nov.

Fast forward to last week… Driving to work on the freeway and out of nowhere I hear a BOOM! First thought was that another car had blown a tire but then I hear the inside roof start fluttering. Pulled over and a F350 truck pulled up in front of me as well. Driver comes over and says I just cracked his windshield just as I looked at the roof of the GT, sunroof part was gone! Driver of the Ford who was behind me on the freeway says he saw my roof implode and a large piece hit his windshield and shattered on impact. Asked him if he saw anything hit my roof and he said no. Drove to the dealership with broken glass raining inside since it wasn't too far and everyone there said they had never heard or seen anything like it.

Your thoughts… :)

·
22,788 Posts
Well, first thought is you're fortunate to be able to see and that none of the glass shards entered your eyes. Secondly, warranty will replace your roof and bring everything back to new. Thirdly, your insurance should take care of the other fella's windshield. Good to have a witness, just in case the dealer starts asking stupid questions. All is good, except for your nerves. :eek:

This is the second post this week I've read where the sunroof went south. Can't remember which forum it was. Sorry.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I don't think insurance covers something flying off of or out of another vehicle if there was not any impact between the 2 vehicles.

·
Registered
221 Posts
should be covered under comprehensive at least. I had a bar or pipe kicked up from a car in front of me and my comp covered it 100%. I have a 0 deductible I think it also covers something off your car hitting someone else's car .Hey okie wassup !?

·
22,788 Posts
Doing well, Azy. Where ya been? Licking your wounds from the Sugar Bowl? :wink2: It WAS a great game. Not the outcome those fine folks in 'Bama would have liked, but it was a great game. Arguably, two of the greatest storied programs in college football exchanging some heavyweight blows. Had me jumping all over the man cave at my son's house. Not sure I sat down more than 5-10 minutes during the entire game.

Back on topic: Gosh, guys...are you saying insurance wouldn't cover this? Who's responsible? What a can of worms this has the potential of being!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here's the fun part…

Dealer's service dept is still under construction so they are unable to make repairs, they recommended I send the car to their sister dealership for which I had to arrange a tow with my insurance. Informed insurance of my situation and arranged for a rental.

After 2 days on the phone with insurance and the service dept their verdict, insurance says it's a manufacturing defect, they had done some research and this was not an isolated incident so they will no longer cover the rental car. They will also not repair the damage to the windshield of the truck since my being the driver does not make me liable for someone else's damage. Service dept says a rock or something must have hit the sunroof, they will replace the sunroof out of courtesy but not the rental, only one not both (despite the fact that I paid for warranty that is supposed to cover both).

:)

·
Registered
654 Posts
You mind telling us which state and insurance company you are with? I would be seriously upset if I was given the runaround like that.

edit: I believe there have been a few threads concerning exploding pano roofs. The latest I recall seeing is in the SantaFe thread iirc.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Got a 2013 GT with the Style and Tech package which comes with the panoramic sunroof in early Nov.

Fast forward to last week… Driving to work on the freeway and out of nowhere I hear a BOOM! First thought was that another car had blown a tire but then I hear the inside roof start fluttering. Pulled over and a F350 truck pulled up in front of me as well. Driver comes over and says I just cracked his windshield just as I looked at the roof of the GT, sunroof part was gone! Driver of the Ford who was behind me on the freeway says he saw my roof implode and a large piece hit his windshield and shattered on impact. Asked him if he saw anything hit my roof and he said no. Drove to the dealership with broken glass raining inside since it wasn't too far and everyone there said they had never heard or seen anything like it.

Your thoughts… :)
A little more info please... was the sun roof open when this happened ?
What was the outside temp. ? P.S. dealers always say never heard of this problem :=)

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Here's the fun part…

Dealer's service dept is still under construction so they are unable to make repairs, they recommended I send the car to their sister dealership for which I had to arrange a tow with my insurance. Informed insurance of my situation and arranged for a rental.

After 2 days on the phone with insurance and the service dept their verdict, insurance says it's a manufacturing defect, they had done some research and this was not an isolated incident so they will no longer cover the rental car. They will also not repair the damage to the windshield of the truck since my being the driver does not make me liable for someone else's damage. Service dept says a rock or something must have hit the sunroof, they will replace the sunroof out of courtesy but not the rental, only one not both (despite the fact that I paid for warranty that is supposed to cover both).

:)
I would think that your insurance company should pay period.....
As far as your dealership--they should honor free rental because IT IS a warranty item (how does a rock hit the top of the roof ?) Call Hyundai and complain

·
Registered
196 Posts
In many states (including FL) windshield is covered by insurance with $0 deductible where it's the law and not optional for the insurance company nor insured.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Additional info… I'm in Texas, sunroof was closed when it happened, speed was 60 mph, temperature I think was in the 50's…

Something funny, the driver of the F350 while he was helping me take out as much of the shattered glass that was still on the roof asked if I had my radio really loud to cause the sunroof to implode, told him No the radio wasn't even on! :)

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Additional info… I'm in Texas, sunroof was closed when it happened, speed was 60 mph, temperature I think was in the 50's…

Something funny, the driver of the F350 while he was helping me take out as much of the shattered glass that was still on the roof asked if I had my radio really loud to cause the sunroof to implode, told him No the radio wasn't even on! :)
This has to be a Hyundai liability you should get a car while you are waiting for repair parts. Radio in the Elantra is good but not that good :=)

·
22,788 Posts
Yep, it's turning into a can of worms, alright. Do you have the guy's name and phone number that was in the truck behind you, Dragon1? He's a witness to the event.

If you're located in the States, there is your State Insurance Commissioner's office to contact. Canada probably has one, as well.

If this had happened to me, you can bet your last nickel where you'd find me! And win!

·
Registered
370 Posts
This was a problem with 2012-2013 Veloster, and NTHSA was involved. There was a recall. Googling will bring up a handful of Elantra complaints, but I haven't seen anything official. Dealers may not have personal experience, but they certainly should know it's not unheard of.

·
Registered
54 Posts
This was a problem with 2012-2013 Veloster, and NTHSA was involved. There was a recall. Googling will bring up a handful of Elantra complaints, but I haven't seen anything official. Dealers may not have personal experience, but they certainly should know it's not unheard of.
No dealer is going to readily admit to a problem with their product unless presented with overwhelming evidence. To do so could be admitting liability.

·
Registered
870 Posts
^^^ I was thinking the same!!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts