Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2011 SE and the sunglass holder on the ceiling will not stay in the up position. When I first purchased the car it stayed up with nothing in it but when I had a normal pair of glasses in it after the sun beat on it for a little while it would come down on its own, but now even with nothing in it, it just opens back up every single time I close it. It looks like the little plastic "arm" with a metal pin in it on the right side is just sitting there and should be attached to it some how but I can't see how to/where to put it in the holder itself. I'll post a pic of it later if no one else can relate to it.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Have similar issues and thought I found the solution by moving the swinging latch all the way back..... today, it keeps falling so I tried to put some kind of tape however it did not work. For some reason it starts latching again, but when it opens it doesn't open as smooth as before. There is some kind of hesitation like it is getting caught on something before opening all the way. So I'm kinda puzzled at the moment, but will keep looking for solution in the meantime. Going to talk to my dealer and see what he can do for me. me.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
QUOTE (SilverNitrate @ Jun 5 2010, 09:47 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=330155
Have similar issues and thought I found the solution by moving the swinging latch all the way back..... today, it keeps falling so I tried to put some kind of tape however it did not work. For some reason it starts latching again, but when it opens it doesn't open as smooth as before. There is some kind of hesitation like it is getting caught on something before opening all the way. So I'm kinda puzzled at the moment, but will keep looking for solution in the meantime. Going to talk to my dealer and see what he can do for me. me.
Yeah I went to the Hyundai dealership today and looked at an SE model that has one that works perfect, clicks when you close it and stays flush. But mine now does not click, will stay up but sags a little, and when I press it to come down it doesn't, I have to force it down. I tried moving the latch all the way up and back and neither makes it work normal. When I get an oil change I will tell them to fix it too I guess. Not a big deal now since I keep my sunglasses in the large compartment down further, but since it opens by itself in the sun I will need it fixed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
QUOTE (jchristie07 @ Jun 5 2010, 07:30 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=330113
I have a 2011 SE and the sunglass holder on the ceiling will not stay in the up position. When I first purchased the car it stayed up with nothing in it but when I had a normal pair of glasses in it after the sun beat on it for a little while it would come down on its own, but now even with nothing in it, it just opens back up every single time I close it. It looks like the little plastic "arm" with a metal pin in it on the right side is just sitting there and should be attached to it some how but I can't see how to/where to put it in the holder itself. I'll post a pic of it later if no one else can relate to it.
I have the same problem. When I was purchasing this car salesman noticed that the sunglass holder kept falling down and it will not stay closed. I called in for service and they are ordering me a new sunglass holder. This is under warranty.
If I was you, I wouldn't mess around with it because it might void the warranty. For mine, where the metal pin is placed the hole was cut out too big on the bottom. I have noticed that plastic arm will stay down and it will not go up as you close the sunglass holder. Therefore, sunglass holder keeps falling. If I manually move the plastic arm to middle position it will work fine until it goes back to the bottom position again.

·
Registered
678 Posts
I think the problem is the swivel mechanism because it's causing the arm to loosely fall. My dealer is going to look at it this saturday, but until then, I have a double sided 3m tape in there to keep it from falling. I will take it off on friday before bringin it back to them.

·
Registered
33 Posts
QUOTE (SilverNitrate @ Jun 7 2010, 07:35 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=330553
I think the problem is the swivel mechanism because it's causing the arm to loosely fall. My dealer is going to look at it this saturday, but until then, I have a double sided 3m tape in there to keep it from falling. I will take it off on friday before bringin it back to them.
Yeah my dealer says they know there is a problem and they are replacing it on monday. Until then I have to live with it falling all the time. Makes me wonder if I should've stuck it out with Honda?

·
Registered
678 Posts
Took mine to the dealership last Saturday and they swap the entire part from another Sonata. So far so good, but I haven't really used it that much since then.

·
Registered
42 Posts
QUOTE (SilverNitrate @ Jun 17 2010, 12:06 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=333846
Took mine to the dealership last Saturday and they swap the entire part from another Sonata. So far so good, but I haven't really used it that much since then.
I've been having the same problem with the sunglass holder not staying closed for the past week. I tried moving the swivel arm mechanism thing on the right side, but that doesn't help. Will have to take it to the dealer for a replacement.

Just wondering for those who had this fixed...how long did it take the dealer to fix it and did the problem disappear for good?

Also, I assume I can take it to any dealer and not just the one I bought it from (which is quite far away from me currently), right?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just had my car in for seat repair and sunglass repair. Both items were to be replaced, and both were backordered. Maybe they are backordered becuase this is happening alot??? Just my 2 cents. I will reply when I get them both fixed and let you know how it goes

·
Registered
817 Posts
QUOTE (Joe N @ Jul 28 2010, 04:20 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=345641
Just had my car in for seat repair and sunglass repair. Both items were to be replaced, and both were backordered. Maybe they are backordered becuase this is happening alot???
While that is a possibility

I suspect the real reason is that there aren't a lot of parts in the 2011 Sonata pipeline yet.

Of course, I could be wrong.

·
Registered
42 Posts
QUOTE (Joe N @ Jul 28 2010, 01:20 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=345641
Just had my car in for seat repair and sunglass repair. Both items were to be replaced, and both were backordered. Maybe they are backordered becuase this is happening alot??? Just my 2 cents. I will reply when I get them both fixed and let you know how it goes
Hey Joe, thanks for the post... and please update after they fix them. I still haven't taken mine in for the sunglass holder issue (and crossing my fingers to avoid seat damage...though it's probably a matter of time). Will be interesting to see if they replace the cloth with the same material or something more durable.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Mine was open the day I took delivery of the car (3 weeks ago). Before I even left the lot I called the sales manager outside and showed him the problem. The parts dept. said they would order me a new one. After not hearing anything from them for 3 weeks, I called yesterday and asked about it and was told "that part is on national back order, we have no idea when it will come in". Gee, that's really what a new car owner wants to hear. Broken parts on a new car and a clueless service dept. craptastic!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Mine was defective on the test drive. It kept opening, which swings it down partly in front of the mirror.
We scheduled a time to come back to have it fixed, but the dealer claimed they "Forgot to order the part". Then, after rescheduling for another week, they called and said there is a national back-order on these parts.
My assumption, as well, is that there is a weakness in these things that is causing the backorder. I hope they come up with a fix that is more than just replaceing it with new weak parts.

Tom

·
Registered
8 Posts
While waiting for my backordered sunglass holder. I decided to take it apart. It comes out very easily by opening it, pushing to the left side and then pulling the right side towards you. Then spring will detach as well. Take off the spring and the holder will stay in the up position, and flush. The only downfall is it opens really slow.....but there is your fix!

·
Registered
42 Posts
QUOTE (Joe N @ Jul 29 2010, 12:16 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=345936
While waiting for my backordered sunglass holder. I decided to take it apart. It comes out very easily by opening it, pushing to the left side and then pulling the right side towards you. Then spring will detach as well. Take off the spring and the holder will stay in the up position, and flush. The only downfall is it opens really slow.....but there is your fix!
thanks. Question: is it easy to put the spring back in position too once you remove it? i haven't shown the dealer the problem yet, so I wouldn't want to take it apart and not be able to put the spring back so that the problem can be demonstrated to the dealer if I ever decide to have the piece replaced.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
QUOTE (ACDavis82 @ Jul 28 2010, 05:27 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=345666
I called yesterday and asked about it and was told "that part is on national back order, we have no idea when it will come in".
Correct, parts will get there when Hyundai Motor Co gets them from vendors and decides to release them.. when they ready to start releasing, they will contact dealer parts dept when they ready..

Broken parts on a new car and a clueless service dept. craptastic!
Dealer service or parts dept's has no say in the matter, Hyundai Motor will release and ship parts when they feel like it... Dealer does not know when when parts will ship until parts dept gets notice that parts will release on this day for distribution.

I'm still waiting over a month for (2) nuts from TOYOTA that were not in USA (dealer goofed up my Toyota, I told them factory part numbered parts, no generic hardware)

·
Registered
817 Posts
QUOTE (Joe N @ Jul 29 2010, 03:16 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=345936
Odd - I just went through the 2011 Sonata Shop Manual and it shows pretty much how to remove virtually everything except the Sunglass holder.

I guess it isn't removeable?

Huh?

·
Registered
8 Posts
QUOTE (calguy @ Jul 29 2010, 07:10 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=346012
thanks. Question: is it easy to put the spring back in position too once you remove it? i haven't shown the dealer the problem yet, so I wouldn't want to take it apart and not be able to put the spring back so that the problem can be demonstrated to the dealer if I ever decide to have the piece replaced.
It is a pain in the but to get the spring back in. Either way just explain to the dealer you removed the spring so it stays closed. They will understand. Keep the spring in case the dealer wants to replicate the problem.

·
Registered
42 Posts
QUOTE (Joe N @ Jul 29 2010, 07:03 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=346034
It is a pain in the but to get the spring back in. Either way just explain to the dealer you removed the spring so it stays closed. They will understand. Keep the spring in case the dealer wants to replicate the problem.
Thanks for your reply. I guess these are the problems one has to deal with when buying a first year production of a new model

1 - 20 of 49 Posts