Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any experience with the sunroof air deflector detaching? The two arms that are spring loaded are fine, it's the rubber strip at the bottom of the netting that appears to have come unglued. I was wondering as it looks like it was just glued down if anybody has went that route, and what glue they used?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Hyundai issued a recall for it - you should be able to take it to your dealer and have it fixed for free.

Recall (Campaign #152, NHTSA Recall #16V726000): HYUNDAI MOTOR AMERICA (HYUNDAI) IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2015-2016 SONATA HYBRID VEHICLES MANUFACTURED DECEMBER 8, 2014, TO AUGUST 18, 2015, AND HYUNDAI SONATA VEHICLES MANUFACTURED MAY 28, 2014, TO MARCH 18, 2016, EQUIPPED WITH THE PANORAMIC SUNROOF OPTION. DUE TO A BONDING ISSUE WITH THE SUNROOF WIND DEFLECTOR, THE SUNROOF PANEL ON THE AFFECTED VEHICLES MAY DETACH WHILE DRIVING.

·
Registered
92 Posts
If you want to do it yourself, they use loctite glue, though I don't recommend doing it yourself

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
404 Posts
Yes it's been recalled. Have the dealer do it. If it comes off again it's their fault and not on you.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. I had read about that recall, and even had the work done by the dealership for that specific recall. I guess they didn't do the work right. Time to take her back in! Thanks again!

·
Registered
333 Posts
Thanks. I had read about that recall, and even had the work done by the dealership for that specific recall. I guess they didn't do the work right. Time to take her back in! Thanks again!

Not surprised.. The recall was to apply crazy glue.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
did it come off while you were driving high speeds? do you actually drive on highway speeds with pana moonroof open?

It came off when I opened my sunroof after work, whilst sitting in the parking lot. I occasionally drive highway speeds with it open for short amounts of time. Now that I know it's only glue holding it together, I'll probably stop doing that.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had mine fixed by the dealer for free. Im guessing im still under warranty (2015 Hyundai sonata sport w/ Pano Sunroof 85000kms)

·
Registered
15 Posts
I got a copy of the repair history from my local dealer. This issue had been repaired once on my car but today it popped loose again. I can see glue on both ends of the strip about an inch and a half long. Back to the dealer.

I have a car with a sunroof that I am afraid to use because there is a good possibility this glass roof will explode. This is due to a faulty design.

The engine will most likely fail since it is a 2.0T and it seems they removed to much aluminum in the design and that allows for deformation of the cylinders due to heat. Once again, faulty design.

I've had this car about a month. Of all the vehicles I've owned in the past this one has had the most issues. I'm going to detail it and sell it for what I can get for it and buy a Toyota. You get a lot of bells and whistles for the price but the quality is subpar. Anyone that thinks Hyundai is on par with Toyota is nuts. I would put Hyundai in a category with Dodge. Never again. FOCK Hyundai. POS.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Someone is CLEARLY upset Half your post is all speculation. You're judging a whole company off of assumptions. My friend has had the turbo and abuses the engine daily, yet he's 200k in and is still running fine (because he maintains the engine just as much he abuses it). As for the sunroof, I live in extreme heat (Mojave desert, Cali) and moderate cold (Summit County, Co) and the sunroof has at most had an occasional creak. I'm sorry to tell you but ALL pano sunroofs have a chance of exploding, not just Hyundai. It seems to me the situation originally was "I wanted a Toyota but also wanted to save some cash, so I bought a Hyundai and regret my decision." You had your mind made up, you don't have to drag Hyundai or Dodge through the dirt to tell us youre regretting buying the right car for yourself.

I got a copy of the repair history from my local dealer. This issue had been repaired once on my car but today it popped loose again. I can see glue on both ends of the strip about an inch and a half long. Back to the dealer.

I have a car with a sunroof that I am afraid to use because there is a good possibility this glass roof will explode. This is due to a faulty design.

The engine will most likely fail since it is a 2.0T and it seems they removed to much aluminum in the design and that allows for deformation of the cylinders due to heat. Once again, faulty design.

I've had this car about a month. Of all the vehicles I've owned in the past this one has had the most issues. I'm going to detail it and sell it for what I can get for it and buy a Toyota. You get a lot of bells and whistles for the price but the quality is subpar. Anyone that thinks Hyundai is on par with Toyota is nuts. I would put Hyundai in a category with Dodge. Never again. FOCK Hyundai. POS.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Speculation? Absurd.

The moon roof has a recall on it. I'm betting most people that have this car and are aware of the exploding roof issue just drive the car with the roof closed.

The 2.0T is currently under investigation by several government entities...both foreign and domestic. Expect a recall.

If I had my mind made up I would have bought the Toyota. I thought I would give Hyundai a chance. I've had the car a month:

1. BSD Error messages that can't be acknowledged. The only solution is to pull over on the side of the road. Turn off car. Start car. Drive till issue repeats.
2. The aforementioned three trips to the dealer to fix my keyless entry with no solution from them. I ended up fixing it myself.
3. Noisy engine that sounds like the fan is hitting something. It's a constant buzzing sound. I'm convinced it's the fuel pump and tappet for this GDI engine. Dealership says it's normal for this car. No fix.
4. Attempting to transfer ownership of car to activate Bluelink. I sent the required docs in via the BlueLink website. Was told it takes 5 business days. Two weeks later I call back. They tell me the website submission hasn't worked for months and tell me to send the documents to an email address. I ask why the FOCK is the web page still up if they know it doesn't work? No response. During the call they also tell me that the dealership can do this ownership transfer as well. Obvious question is why the FOCK didn't they do it? Rick Case Hyundai Roswell, GA in case anyone wants to avoid a dealership.
5. Trunk handle rubber cover rotted and falling off. Replaced handle.

That's just off the top of my head.

I've owned a new Ford Thunderbird, Ford Ranger, Toyota Tundra w/TRD Supercharger, Toyota Sienna and never had issues like this and I got anywhere from 100K to 300K on those vehicles. All I ever did with them was routine prescribed maintenance.

I've had this car a month and I bought it from Rick Case, one owner, 34K. It's been one thing after another.

Dodge quality is what it is....and in my opinion Hyundai is in the same category. "B" cars at best.

If you love them so much I'll sell you a 2015 Sonata 2.0T Limited with 35K and fully loaded with every option. $19,500 and it's yours. :)

·
Registered
92 Posts
No thanks mine is great minus cheap paint on the hood (can't hold up to the road salt being flung at it). Halfway through that list I would've called lemon law cuz I don't think that's the norm

·
Registered
15 Posts
The TSB for the sunroof direct from NHTSA is static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2016/RCRIT-16V726-9804.pdf . Super glue is the repair secret. It doesn't hold up. Mines already detached. Contact cement would be a better solution. It's pliable and water proof.

No lemon law option since I'm the second owner. First used car I've bought since the 90's. After I sell this thing I'll try to save the depreciation and get a late model 'yota. I am literally afraid of this car and the main reason for buying a car to me is piece of mind.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Had the roof glued back down on mine just after the recall was announced. Have used it no less than a hundred times since, and more than a handful was on the NJ Turnpike at speeds over 80mph. Zero creaks, no glue loosening.

Although I am planning to trade my baby in next year. For a G80.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Pano fix cost $4300

So 3 weeks ago my son bought a 2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited from a friend. Its his first car he purchased on his own. He was able to get a great deal on it. And they had no problems with it what so ever! Good maintenance record and everything. Wow it is really nice car. We checked everything including the sunroof to make sure it was working.

Fast forward to two Fridays ago. He was coming to a stop in a cold day and wanted the sun to warm him up. He goes to open the shade and accidentally opens the window. so he automatically hits the button again to close it.

As it closes, the window sticks and comes off track. The windscreen has come undone and the arms got caught under the pano window caused the pano to come completely off it tracks and was sitting about 1.5 inches off center in the front and back. (see attached pics)

So goes directly to the dealer and the Hyundai Dealer in town and they say "wow we have never seen that. But our guy that fixes that was gone for the day (at 3:00 pm?) and we cannot get it to close. Sorry.". So he went over to the Kia dealer and they got it closed for him. But gave him a price estimate of $4300 to fix. I about crapped my pants when he told me that.

On the Following Monday he took it into to the Hyundai dealer. We told the dealer that when he stopped right after the window stuck and the windscreen was free moving and was able to move up and down above the roof line. It should not of been able to do that. It sounded exactly like what the recall was about and should be repaired under the recall.

The service manager at the end of the day told us that Hyundai said due to the cold weather, the roller was frozen and that caused the window to get off. You should not open sunroofs, particularly pano sunroofs, in the winter months for just that reason. Thats why it broke. So we have to pay to fix it. Its only $2800.00 "?" Really?

I have had three cars (2 of them brand new) with sunroofs and have never had a dealer tell me to not open a window during the cold months.

I had done a lot of research about the recall and found out the car had been fixed in 2017 due to the recall. So sitting at home after this whole day of bs, my son was talking and said "dad, look I can show you that is was above the roof line, here is a picture".

Low and behold he had forgot that he took pictures to show his buddy what had happened. So- I made an appointment to see them again with the pictures.

They are submitting it again to Hyundai to see if it falls under the recall. It clearly shows the windscreen was the reason the window stuck and broke the rail and rollers. The service manager said it may help, and maybe, since it had already been fixed under the recall that Hyundai my cover part of the fix cost.

So my question. Once a recall is issued, isn't it covered for the life of the car, and if it breaks again, dont't they have to fix it for saftey concerns?

Had this happened no the interstate, where he accidentally opens the window, it could have flown off and caused major damage to his or someone else car. Just like the reason for the recall.

Suggestions? I am not paying for it. The window can stay closed. But, I feel really sorry for my son as this was his first car purchase. And though he hadn't been looking for a car with a pano, he was so excited to have it on his first car.

Then two weeks after he gets it it break and cost $2800 to fix. Thats a hard pill to swallow for a 19 year old.

What are my options and what are the laws surrounding the recall. Do they have to fix it for free? Could they make me pay for part? Just wanting to go into this with all my facts straight.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
So 3 weeks ago my son bought a 2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited from a friend. Its his first car he purchased on his own. He was able to get a great deal on it. And they had no problems with it what so ever! Good maintenance record and everything. Wow it is really nice car. We checked everything including the sunroof to make sure it was working.

Fast forward to two Fridays ago. He was coming to a stop in a cold day and wanted the sun to warm him up. He goes to open the shade and accidentally opens the window. so he automatically hits the button again to close it.

As it closes, the window sticks and comes off track. The windscreen has come undone and the arms got caught under the pano window caused the pano to come completely off it tracks and was sitting about 1.5 inches off center in the front and back. (see attached pics)

So goes directly to the dealer and the Hyundai Dealer in town and they say "wow we have never seen that. But our guy that fixes that was gone for the day (at 3:00 pm?) and we cannot get it to close. Sorry.". So he went over to the Kia dealer and they got it closed for him. But gave him a price estimate of $4300 to fix. I about crapped my pants when he told me that.

On the Following Monday he took it into to the Hyundai dealer. We told the dealer that when he stopped right after the window stuck and the windscreen was free moving and was able to move up and down above the roof line. It should not of been able to do that. It sounded exactly like what the recall was about and should be repaired under the recall.

The service manager at the end of the day told us that Hyundai said due to the cold weather, the roller was frozen and that caused the window to get off. You should not open sunroofs, particularly pano sunroofs, in the winter months for just that reason. Thats why it broke. So we have to pay to fix it. Its only $2800.00 "?" Really?

I have had three cars (2 of them brand new) with sunroofs and have never had a dealer tell me to not open a window during the cold months.

I had done a lot of research about the recall and found out the car had been fixed in 2017 due to the recall. So sitting at home after this whole day of bs, my son was talking and said "dad, look I can show you that is was above the roof line, here is a picture".

Low and behold he had forgot that he took pictures to show his buddy what had happened. So- I made an appointment to see them again with the pictures.

They are submitting it again to Hyundai to see if it falls under the recall. It clearly shows the windscreen was the reason the window stuck and broke the rail and rollers. The service manager said it may help, and maybe, since it had already been fixed under the recall that Hyundai my cover part of the fix cost.

So my question. Once a recall is issued, isn't it covered for the life of the car, and if it breaks again, dont't they have to fix it for saftey concerns?

Had this happened no the interstate, where he accidentally opens the window, it could have flown off and caused major damage to his or someone else car. Just like the reason for the recall.

Suggestions? I am not paying for it. The window can stay closed. But, I feel really sorry for my son as this was his first car purchase. And though he hadn't been looking for a car with a pano, he was so excited to have it on his first car.

Then two weeks after he gets it it break and cost $2800 to fix. Thats a hard pill to swallow for a 19 year old.

What are my options and what are the laws surrounding the recall. Do they have to fix it for free? Could they make me pay for part? Just wanting to go into this with all my facts straight.
Given that the original recall fix was to literally super glue the deflector back in place, it should be covered now that it happened again.

My Sonata saw plenty of cold days with the pano roof open. The only risk you run is that with expansion/contraction, you may get some creaking/popping from it after closing it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
After pictures were submitted, Hyundai stated since the car was fixed in 2017 for wind screen recall, and it’s out of warranty, they are not doing anything.

I have contacted the customer affairs office and have submitted to get a case manager to look it over again. Waiting on the case to be assigned. I do have a case number. It’s a start. This is going to take a lot of patience. Hopefully it does not need to go to a lawyer.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts