Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a used Accent with nearly brand new tires. However, I've come to find out that the tires (in addition to bargain basement priced) are only marketed as summer tires (Barum Brillantis 2). I live in Minnesota, so obviously we get more than our share of winter.

Do you think it's worth getting snow tires for the winter season, then throwing the summer tires back on, or am I better off getting a good quality set of all seasons? I'm trying to weigh the costs and benefits of each option. I've always run quality all seasons and been just fine in the winter, so that's what I'm inclined to do again. I just struggle with the idea of getting rid of a set of tires if it still has decent tread left.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
14 Posts
You should definitely use winter tires when its winter and summer tires in the summer. I always get two sets of tires when I purchase my cars. I've had two Accents and go from 16" summer to 14" winter specific tires on the 2017 HB and from 17" to 15" for the 2019. Years ago we never bothered switching summer to winter as most tires are all season. Now I have been using winter specific tires for the past 5 years and I won't go back! The smaller size also makes it more effective in the ice and snow. If you have two sets of tires, you should be able to get a few seasons out of each (depending how much you drive/style) Its relatively easy to see the differences to winter tires in the winter, but once it starts warming up, your going to want to change back as winter tires really are easy to wear once it goes a few degrees above freezing. I find the Accents do best with winter specific tires.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
1 - 3 of 3 Posts