Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody,

I am planning on turboing my accent this summer. I have every parts I need but it's winter and I don't want to work in the snow...

The only thing I need is the exhaust manifold. I found one on eBay made by OBX, but it's too costly.

I was wondering if there was another car that share the same exhaust manifold ans that I could get a turbo exhaust manifold easily online or in a junkyard (I'll see)

Example (which I don't isn't right) : 2010 Civic have the same, I buy a 2010 Civic turbo exhaust manifold and no problem.

I want a "plug and play" turbo exhaust manifold if possible !

Can I get help from you guys ?

Thanks,
Jordan

·
Registered
13,349 Posts
Maybe if we invoke @deadlyg33k we can get him to help you. Check out his page. He spent ~$6K CDN twerki...er, tweaking his.

BTW, there are better cars to do this with. I hope you plans include suspension, because this car handles like a brick with the stock engine!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As I said I already have every parts to turbo the car except the turbo manifold. I forgot to say that this Accent isn't my daily. It's pretty much my winter car which let's say I care a little bit less than my other cars. I have three cars actually :

Hyundai Accent 2008 (winter car)
Ford Escape XLT V6 2011 (winter but mostly summer too)
Nissan Altima Coupe 3.5 2008 (summer car)

All parts (piping, intercooler and oil feed/return lines) come from my old turbo setup on my Altima. And even if I had to buy everything, it wouldn't be $5K. The only thing I need is the famous turbo manifold.

·
Registered
13,349 Posts
@deadlyg33k only put headers on his accent I think ? Already saw his dope setup ! And don't worry, suspension was already in the plan ahahah !
He has a custom ECU from tuners in Korea. He has coil-overs. He has headers, cat and full exhaust treatment. He spent something like $4500US tweaking his car.

You can do it, but I would pick another car to tweak.

Oh. Wait. I DID!
<=======

·
Registered
13,349 Posts
Don't get me wrong...this would be an awesome car to tweak out. Lowered and snotted out it would be a cool boy racer. But it was built as an econobox. The engine leaves a lot to be desired, and it has the handling characteristics of a 1938 Mack truck.

All that out of the way, let us see it when you get it done!

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Hey brother many have tried and very few have actually done it. Cost per performance ratio isn't worth the cost or the headaches especially if you're going to try without an unlocked ECU like I have. Autoban is the only person on here that has done it and he can tell you it's a huge pain in the ass. To put thing into perspective I've dumped over 5K into Ripley (2K on cosmetic and sound) and I managed 153 hp from stock 109hp, that's a gain of 44 hp with simple bolt-ons that wouldn't even be utilized to full potential without the aforementioned ECU.

so $3000 / 44hp = $68.2 per hp gained with zero software issues or issues of any kind versus boosting i.e. being forced to go with a finicky piggyback system.

A basic turbo setup including parts (I'm leaving out labour as I assume you'd do it yourself) would be closer to 5K and I can't stress enough how much these alphas hate large turbos, smaller is ideal. Also I promise you piggy back systems will kill your cost unless you know how to code which I do and even then it's very difficult. I'm lucky to have a friend that can do it but having this ECU was day and night difference but I digress. This would net you somewhere around 180/190 hp (again using a smaller snail as larger will blow you up lol) That's a gain of 81 hp Let's go with the ladder for shytes and giggles;

$5000 / 81hp = $61.7 per hp gained.

As you can see it's only marginally better than my setup with the added bonus of possibly blowing up your engine, crashing your car due to torque steer (it's very real with this car) etc. When you couple my setup mechanically with all the weight reductions I've done (air conditioner delete, sunroof motor delete, seats, panels etc the gap closes even more.

So again unless you have time and money to burn, own all the parts or heck, you just need that blow off sound I would recommend not to. If anything this car would benefit more from a supercharger as it provides constant power throughout the curve, unlike my car where I make most if not all my power above 4200 RPM. I have milked these engines for all they're worth without going forced induction and when people see my numbers/videos they quickly realize that a turbo setup wouldn't be much of an upgrade from a cost/hp standpoint. Also don't underestimate power/weight ratio, never mind what I've done mechanically as it was the weight reduction that really made the wold of difference. Dyno numbers are the equivalent of benchmark scores, they're theoretical and in no way reflect real world results (i.e. how different an exhaust note can be stationary versus load, I can't tell you how many times people watched my vids and said "meh" to the note until they heard her in person and they were shocked. The
real only way to know what your car can do is to push it, tweak, push it and tweak again.

Also please don't misunderstand my reply though, I'm not saying I think you're wrong for attempting I'm just giving you real world numbers to go by so you can decide for yourself. :)

EDIT: link to the video with my complete mod list, it's not just slapping on a header and ricing out, I can't stand when people put me in that category. :frown:

·
Registered
13,349 Posts
Hey brother many have tried and very few have actually done it. Cost per performance ratio isn't worth the cost or the headaches especially if you're going to try without an unlocked ECU like I have. Autoban is the only person on here that has done it and he can tell you it's a huge pain in the ass. To put thing into perspective I've dumped over 5K into Ripley (2K on cosmetic and sound) and I managed 153 hp from stock 109hp, that's a gain of 44 hp with simple bolt-ons that wouldn't even be utilized to full potential without the aforementioned ECU.

so $3000 / 44hp = $68.2 per hp gained with zero software issues or issues of any kind versus boosting i.e. being forced to go with a finicky piggyback system.

A basic turbo setup including parts (I'm leaving out labour as I assume you'd do it yourself) would be closer to 5K and I can't stress enough how much these alphas hate large turbos, smaller is ideal. Also I promise you piggy back systems will kill your cost unless you know how to code which I do and even then it's very difficult. I'm lucky to have a friend that can do it but having this ECU was day and night difference but I digress. This would net you somewhere around 180/190 hp (again using a smaller snail as larger will blow you up lol) That's a gain of 81 hp Let's go with the ladder for shytes and giggles;

$5000 / 81hp = $61.7 per hp gained.

As you can see it's marginally batter than my setup with the added bonus of possibly blowing up your engine, crashing your car due to torque steer (it's very real with this car) etc. When you couple my setup mechanically with all the weight reductions I've done (air conditioner delete, sunroof motor delete, seats, panels etc the gap closes even more it's pretty clear as to why I suggest against it.

So again unless you have time and money to burn or even if you already have or just need that blow off sound I say don't bother, if anything this car would benefit more from a supercharger as it provides constant power throughout the curve, unlike my car where I make most if not all my power above 4200 RPM. This is coming from someone that has milked these engines for all they're worth without going forced induction and when people see my numbers or my videos they realize that turbo would simply kill your engine prematurely compared to my setup and net you very little overall at least from a cost standpoint. Don't underestimate power/weight ratio, never mind what I've done mechanically as it was the weight reduction that really makes me fly when I need to. Dyno numbers are the equivalent of benchmark scores, they're theoretical, the only real way to know what your car can do is to push it, tweak, push it and tweak again.

Please don't misunderstand my post though, I'm not saying I think you're wrong for attempting I'm just giving yeah real world numbers to go by so you can decide for yourself. :)
Hey, how have you been? Santy Claus good to you?

I gotta admit, this would be a cool car to turn into a speed demon, if you can do it on the cheap, which it appears the OP can.

But somehow it seems it would be less of a PITA to do a Beta swap and pick up some extra horses from displacement. Either way it's not an easy feat, and still the suspension falls on it's face; but he says he is planning this as well.

Shoot, this suspension falls on it's face even with the stock engine. It's the only thing I actually hate about the car.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Hey, how have you been? Santy Claus good to you?

I gotta admit, this would be a cool car to turn into a speed demon, if you can do it on the cheap, which it appears the OP can.

But somehow it seems it would be less of a PITA to do a Beta swap and pick up some extra horses from displacement. Either way it's not an easy feat, and still the suspension falls on it's face; but he says he is planning this as well.

Shoot, this suspension falls on it's face even with the stock engine. It's the only thing I actually hate about the car.
Always brother, still lurk daily. lol

I almost did the beta swap and to be honest the cost and pain associated with it would also be pointless. I've made peace with Ripley. lol I'm upgrading to a real hot hatch when she dies. I actually don't have much in the way of those issues because of all the antiroll and strut braces I have. lol

·
Registered
13,349 Posts
LOL at trying to put a dollar value on modding a car.......
All cars have a dollar value.

You can get it at NADAguides or KBB. When you're trading a car, we don't care what you've added to it, we look at what the car came with and what it still has from the factory.
$2,000 in stereo equipment? Better take it with you! I'm going to give you the value listed as "Radio: AM/FM/CD" as on the original invoice!
;)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you for your honest answer @deadlyg33k ! It's not the first time I see posts from you and they are always complete. Very nice of you ! When I went to bed yesterday, I thought about it and you're right. Maybe the Accent isn't the best car to turbo. I know you did not intend to change my mind, but I think sleep has done his job ! With all the numbers you are giving us and the fact that I'll probably need to change a lot of parts (suspension, direction and maybe even try to find an unlocked ECU like yours (impossible ahah)) I guess it's not worth the pain it would give me. My Altima is already turbo (install everything almost 2 years ago) and my Escape is bone stock.

Maybe I'll keep my Accent like it is. Other than a short ram intake, it's a stock car.

Thank you, @deadlyg33k, you made me think about it twice and I think it was the right thing to do !
Been following Ripley's build for a little bit now. I'm impress it's pretty cool ! Congrats on that one !

·
Premium Member
2,182 Posts
If I hit the lottery I'd get a nice daily driver, pay someone to dump about 20 yards of fresh manure in my sister's front yard and then try to do something to the Accent, I strangely really like the GS body style, it's got a small rally car look, alone the lines of that modified Ford Fiesta some company put out for a year or two. The SHOGun; where they took the running gear from that year's SHO Taurus dumped the engine in the back put the Taurus front end in the Fiesta, moved the gas tank to the engine bay along with the SHO's radiator. Tubbed and flared it looked like the biggest rice joke on the planet but man it went like a rocket and equaled that year's Lambo on the skid pad.
I was thinking of maybe finding a wrecked Audi 4wd chassis and getting the Accent up a little to go play in the dirt.

·
Registered
13,349 Posts
Thank you for your honest answer @deadlyg33k ! It's not the first time I see posts from you and they are always complete. Very nice of you ! When I went to bed yesterday, I thought about it and you're right. Maybe the Accent isn't the best car to turbo. I know you did not intend to change my mind, but I think sleep has done his job ! With all the numbers you are giving us and the fact that I'll probably need to change a lot of parts (suspension, direction and maybe even try to find an unlocked ECU like yours (impossible ahah)) I guess it's not worth the pain it would give me. My Altima is already turbo (install everything almost 2 years ago) and my Escape is bone stock.

Maybe I'll keep my Accent like it is. Other than a short ram intake, it's a stock car.

Thank you, @deadlyg33k, you made me think about it twice and I think it was the right thing to do !
Been following Ripley's build for a little bit now. I'm impress it's pretty cool ! Congrats on that one !
I didn't find the SRI made much of a difference. It maybe gets up hills a bit better.

I was getting it serviced at the dealer, and I heard a mighty ROAR! and thought, "Someone must have a Genesis coupe in for service". Then I see my snail crawling out the door...;)

Don't get me wrong...I LOVE the body on this car, and it WOULD be cool to really do this car up, but it will also take a LOT of money to make this sow's ear into a Silk Purse. Or, a lot of effort and a lot of parts. Deadly did it, and did it right, but you can see what it cost him.

If I hit the lottery I'd get a nice daily driver, pay someone to dump about 20 yards of fresh manure in my sister's front yard and then try to do something to the Accent, I strangely really like the GS body style, it's got a small rally car look, alone the lines of that modified Ford Fiesta some company put out for a year or two. The SHOGun; where they took the running gear from that year's SHO Taurus dumped the engine in the back put the Taurus front end in the Fiesta, moved the gas tank to the engine bay along with the SHO's radiator. Tubbed and flared it looked like the biggest rice joke on the planet but man it went like a rocket and equaled that year's Lambo on the skid pad.
I was thinking of maybe finding a wrecked Audi 4wd chassis and getting the Accent up a little to go play in the dirt.
I like the way this guy thinks! ;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts