Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2006 Hyundai Azera
145k miles

I just climbed out from under this car. And with filthy fingers and brow furrowed in frustration, I bang this solicitation for suggestions into the keyboard. Here goes...

The field coil on the compressor is bad. I need to replace it. I have the car on jack stands with the compressor dangling from its hoses. I've removed the 8mm fastener in the center of the clutch plate. And that is as far as I have gotten.

The clutch plate will not come off. Period.

The pulley spins freely; the clutch plate spins freely. But the thing will not release from the spines that hold it to the compressor shaft. I've sprayed WD-40 where I can, whacked the clutch with a ball-peen hammer, and pried at the edges against my intuition ...all for the past hour, at least. Yet...

The clutch plate will not come off.

Unlike brake rotors, there are no holes in the clutch plate to thread in bolts to push the thing away from the hub (...stupid Hyundai).

I am officially stymied.
Suggestions? Recommendations?

[/URL][/IMG]

·
Premium Member
875 Posts
2006 Hyundai Azera
145k miles

I just climbed out from under this car. And with filthy fingers and brow furrowed in frustration, I bang this solicitation for suggestions into the keyboard. Here goes...

The field coil on the compressor is bad. I need to replace it. I have the car on jack stands with the compressor dangling from its hoses. I've removed the 8mm fastener in the center of the clutch plate. And that is as far as I have gotten.

The clutch plate will not come off. Period.

The pulley spins freely; the clutch plate spins freely. But the thing will not release from the spines that hold it to the compressor shaft. I've sprayed WD-40 where I can, whacked the clutch with a ball-peen hammer, and pried at the edges against my intuition ...all for the past hour, at least. Yet...

The clutch plate will not come off.

Unlike brake rotors, there are no holes in the clutch plate to thread in bolts to push the thing away from the hub (...stupid Hyundai).

I am officially stymied.
Suggestions? Recommendations?

[/URL][/IMG]
AC Compressor diagrams attached, hope this helps.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
places like autozone, oreilly's, pep boys will rent tools. a/c clutch puller is what you need. what they do is charge you full price for the tool, then reimburse you the full amount when you return it. if you pay cash, it will be on the spot. if card or check, it will have to clear before they refund. a new clutch may hasten the demise of the compressor. shops dont like to replace just the clutch, because they dont last, and the customer comes back with a bad compressor blaming the shop. been there, done that.

·
Registered
882 Posts
I've tried but never succeed on rusty Hyundai AC compressor. The clutch is way inside and don't have room to pry out. Penetrating oil is not strong enough, you will need muriatic acid. You can use torch or acid but there's no guarantee

1 - 4 of 4 Posts