Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am from India and I own a 2008 i10 Magna model. I am planning to change to alloy wheel. In India, i10 comes with 155/80-R13 tyres Can anyone suggest what are the things that I have to do? My specific questions are:-

1. DO I need to change the stock tyres, i.e. the factory fitted tyres?
2. DO I need to change the rim?
3. What alloy options should I have? Shall I go for after market ones or the original Hyundai alloys?

Please let me know.

·
Registered
4 Posts
QUOTE (sankar_from_kolkata @ Sep 21 2010, 06:57 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=357625
Hi,

I am from India and I own a 2008 i10 Magna model. I am planning to change to alloy wheel. In India, i10 comes with 155/80-R13 tyres Can anyone suggest what are the things that I have to do? My specific questions are:-

1. DO I need to change the stock tyres, i.e. the factory fitted tyres?
2. DO I need to change the rim?
3. What alloy options should I have? Shall I go for after market ones or the original Hyundai alloys?

Please let me know.

Your options are:

retain 13" stock tires - get a set of 4.5J aftermarket alloy and install the stock tires on the 13" alloys.

upsize within 13" - get a set of 4.5J aftermarket alloys and install 175/70R13 tires.

Upsize to 14" alloys - get a set of atleast 5.5J after market alloys, and fit 185/60R14 tires (i have this config on my i10 kappa asta)

feel free to ask any questions.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE (blackasta @ Sep 21 2010, 09:23 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=357678
Your options are:

retain 13" stock tires - get a set of 4.5J aftermarket alloy and install the stock tires on the 13" alloys.

upsize within 13" - get a set of 4.5J aftermarket alloys and install 175/70R13 tires.

Upsize to 14" alloys - get a set of atleast 5.5J after market alloys, and fit 185/60R14 tires (i have this config on my i10 kappa asta)

feel free to ask any questions.

Thanks blackasta for quick response. This definitely clears my doubts.

Now if I go for upsize within 13", what tyre options should I choose? Also as you have said that you have 14" alloys in your asta, do you feel any of the following:-

1. stiffness in power steering?
2.Any issue you have faced when the car is in full load?
3.FE reduced?
4.Meters giving incorrect reading?

My next question is what will be cost of these tyres and what brand of alloy you are using and at what cost?

I also want to use exterior body kit to modify the look. The side jackets, the rear and front grill and jacket, etc. Do you have an idea what can be the cost for these? I am sorry, if I am overwhelming you with my questions but I have been browsing through the forums to get some concrete responses, and finally registered here as I found it quiet relevant.

·
Registered
19 Posts
QUOTE (sankar_from_kolkata @ Sep 22 2010, 10:11 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=357919
Thanks blackasta for quick response. This definitely clears my doubts.

Now if I go for upsize within 13", what tyre options should I choose? Also as you have said that you have 14" alloys in your asta, do you feel any of the following:-

1. stiffness in power steering?
2.Any issue you have faced when the car is in full load?
3.FE reduced?
4.Meters giving incorrect reading?

My next question is what will be cost of these tyres and what brand of alloy you are using and at what cost?

I also want to use exterior body kit to modify the look. The side jackets, the rear and front grill and jacket, etc. Do you have an idea what can be the cost for these? I am sorry, if I am overwhelming you with my questions but I have been browsing through the forums to get some concrete responses, and finally registered here as I found it quiet relevant.
Sankar,
Not sure if you are yet to upgrade to alloys, but still this post ma help others.

Upgrade to 14" creates the folliwing:
- The wheels will hit the walls on turns or large pot holes.
- Incorrect meter reading
- Less petrol efficiency and low power

Upgrade to 13" but 5.5 wide tyres.
- The stock rim is made for 4.5" wide tyres, hence when you put 5.5" tyre on it, they might bubble.
- Risky on the long distant travel
- Also the tyre will wear sooner compared to others
- Slightly stiff handling

Upgrade to 13" with 5.5" rim and tyre.
- This is the best setting for i10. I have it too. 175/75 R13, Pirelli on plati alloys.
- The handling will be stiff compared to the stock ones, however the road grip is immense. Helps specially when a dumb A***ole suddenly jumps infront of your car to cross the road. Famous in India :)
- Because of wide tyres the ride is better cushioned.
- I guess it takes a nominal toll on the milleage as well.

Ride safe!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have 195/50-15 on my i10, works fine, looks nice, and the tires are cheaper than 195/45.
I have no problems fitting them, and the meter reading is now correct, with 13" it shows to much, tested with GPS.

Jakob

·
Registered
19 Posts
QUOTE (Preet Dhar @ Apr 8 2011, 04:29 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=427624
Sankar,
Not sure if you are yet to upgrade to alloys, but still this post ma help others.

Upgrade to 14" creates the folliwing:
- The wheels will hit the walls on turns or large pot holes.
- Incorrect meter reading
- Less petrol efficiency and low power

Upgrade to 13" but 5.5 wide tyres.
- The stock rim is made for 4.5" wide tyres, hence when you put 5.5" tyre on it, they might bubble.
- Risky on the long distant travel
- Also the tyre will wear sooner compared to others
- Slightly stiff handling

Upgrade to 13" with 5.5" rim and tyre.
- This is the best setting for i10. I have it too. 175/75 R13, Pirelli on plati alloys.
- The handling will be stiff compared to the stock ones, however the road grip is immense. Helps specially when a dumb A***ole suddenly jumps infront of your car to cross the road. Famous in India :)
- Because of wide tyres the ride is better cushioned.
- I guess it takes a nominal toll on the milleage as well.

Ride safe!

Added to the suggestion above: If you get a less aspect ration tyre (ratio of width of the tyre to the sides of the tyre, by side I mean the space between the outer circumference of the rim to the outer circumference of the tyre.) with a upsized rim then you can consider getting a 14" rim. But beware that the tyre will not serve as a shock absorber as there is less cushion. Also tyres with less aspect ration wear much quickly compared to tyres with higher aspect ration. This is relevant specially in India where potholes are usually part of roads.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi - I have a i10 automatic sportz. the co. is giving me steel rims with stock wheels i want to put alloy rims and a wider tyres to suit the width of the alloy rim. My question is, will he decrease the Fuel Efficiency, or destroy any other company promised efficiency of the car.

·
Registered
19 Posts
QUOTE (Thottam @ Sep 5 2011, 09:30 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=499556
Hi - I have a i10 automatic sportz. the co. is giving me steel rims with stock wheels i want to put alloy rims and a wider tyres to suit the width of the alloy rim. My question is, will he decrease the Fuel Efficiency, or destroy any other company promised efficiency of the car.
Hi - If you just put a alloy without changing its dimensions then it should not impact the efficiency on the contrary it should improve the efficiency given that alloys are lighter than steel rims. However if you change dimentions (bigger rim size, wide tyres, tyres with less aspect ration etc) then the efficiency would be less for sure.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts