Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have an 08 accent SE. All of a sudden the car wouldn't start yesterday afternoon. Sounded like dead battery. Got the jumper box out, car started on the first try. Normally I would think it's just the battery on its last legs, but after driving for an hour and a half, the car was completely dead after it was turned off. Pulled the batter and put it on a trickle charger at 4amp overnight. Put it back in the car and the lights wouldn't even come on. Jumped it again. Drove it for an hour to work, turned the engine off, tried to start the car immediately and it won't even crank. I'm not used to batteries suddenly dying this severely. I also used a multimeter and the voltage was jumping all over the place, which concerns me that there might be a short (with the car off would jump between 6-10.8V).

About a year ago we had an issue where the car wouldn't start and we couldn't jump it with anything less than a truck (my jump box couldn't do it). And that was after several tries and allowing it to build a charge for a few minutes. When that happened I pulled the batter and battery cradle, cleaned the terminals, and cleaned the ground. The car worked fine after that. I plan on doing it again, but was wondering if anyone has had similar issues with different causes. I might just need a new battery, but again, I'm suspicious.

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
8,165 Posts
When running unless there is a dead short in the battery the voltage at the battery should be 14v or so. This shows the alternator is working.

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
15,277 Posts
The battery is on an overnight charge but doesn't even have enough capacity to light the ignition lights. That suggests either you charger is faulty or the battery is, but I'd be leaning more towards the battery since it can't start the engine even after the alternator has been charging it for an hour.

Of course, you could always take the car to your local garage/auto parts store and have the battery and charging system tested rather than have us guess about what the problem might be.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Yes a battery can die just that fast you can take the battery out and to AutoZone and they will check it ps. Don't buy Walmart batteries

·
Registered
2007 Honda CRV
4,577 Posts
Battery is dead. Replace.
With new battery in, check charging voltage across battery terminals while engine is running
Should be about 14.5 volts with engine running
Should be 12.5 volts with engine off

A battery can die very fast if one of the six .. two volt cells break down
They are linked in series. So if one cell dies then the whole battery can be dead

·
Registered
8,165 Posts
I've been bragging about the batteries I have lasting so long but they are all going kaput this year. Had to get the new lawn mower battery, and in the Accent the battery is showing low voltage but has not failed me yet. It's going on 11 years old. But my Gen Coupe is also showing low voltage, it too is the OE battery and going on 10 years. One is 121R 550 cca and the other 124R 700cca. I can get the 700 cca one for $5 less than the 550 cca one and I know it fits but just barely as it's longer and taller. Good batteries with a 7 year warranty, 3 year replacement and made by east Penn. Farm and Fleet brand and on sale for $95.

Both will show 12v or less when first switched to the accessory mode of the ignition. Both got completely drained this year by accident.

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
When a battery suddenly drops dead it's usually gone open circuit internally. Test it or have it tested. Like tyres and brakes they are a consumable part.

·
Registered
8,165 Posts
I put the larger Gen Coupe battery in today and parked the Genny for winter. It's the biggest that will fit the tray. 124R/700CCA and for some reason it's cheaper than the OE size 121R/550CCA. The battery post are a bit smaller and I had to use a small nail between the clamp and post to get it tight.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts