Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 Sonata 2.0T. In the past two months I have had :
1 - The CD player quit working but I could still play music via USB. Radio worked fine.
2 - Then, the rear driver side power window quit working but I could open/close it from driver seat controls.
So, I pulled the three fuses labeled as power window fuses in the
inside compartment, all were good so I put them back in.
Suddenly, no power windows are working except for driver window.
3 - Four days ago, the radio goes off when I hit a bump in the road. I turn it back on, select a station and save the station to a button.
Next bump in the road, it goes off. Turn back on and the stored station channel I just entered is not there.

About 1 year ago I lost the cruise control. I have been to three dealerships trying to get the cruise control fixed.
Dealer 1 replaced the clock spring, no fix.
Dealer 2 replaced the entire steering wheel, no fix.
Dealer 3 said they couldn't find anything wrong. Wanted me to spend $8K to replace two wiring harness. They based that fix on national Hyundai tech team input ……..
Next up, I am scheduled to get the cruise control switch replaced this Friday.
I don't have much confidence in this attempt fixing it either.

Overall, I think perhaps something central to the electrical stuff in my car. Or maybe each has a unique issue.
My fear is that the car will fail completely when I least expect it.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
7,835 Posts
I would be going over all the grounds that I could. Hyundai is famous for using the body as the main ground but paints it first so sometimes the screws don't cut through the paint well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thx, Red Raspberry!
I did as you suggested. I dusted off my VOM and went searching for every ground from the battery on. Found same voltage drop at each of the seven locations I found.
I scratched my head for a considerable amount of time. I finally decided that I should take each problem and analyze/isolate. I also decided to start with the radio/cd/nav unit as I figured it would be most difficult. I watched a video on how to remove the head unit. Went and bought some plastic tools. Boy am I lucky.
Our 2012 2.0T has 161,000 miles. I was surprised when I removed the head unit that 2 white plugs were laying in the back of the space. Since I had not removed them, they had to have been installed incorrectly. Namely not locked in by the tabs. I seated them, and reinstalled everything. NOW, NOT ONLY DID THAT FIX THE ENTERTAINMENT BUT THE POWER WINDOWS AS WELL!!!.I can only surmise that the power or ground from one of those plugs also fed the 3 power window configuration.
Meanwhile, the Hyundai techs are still scratching their heads on the cruise control. At this point, the signal is present leaving the (replaced) switch but not arriving at the ECM. It's staying in the shop until it is fixed as I'm fairly stubborn.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey, Red Raspberry. I had the car into Hyundai dealer last Friday. The tech spent 5 hours and says he needs more time. Can I leave car for a couple of days. I took it in this morning and they call me after 6 hours and say they don't have a clue. They now want $150/hour to diagnose. I said button the car up and I'll come get it. Gave them a bad review and Service Director calls me and basically says same thing. Between them & Hyundai service gods, they don't know.
He is now offering that if I pay them $375, he will be able to diagnose the problem if it takes him 40 hours. I wasn't born yesterday so I know when they get done they are going to say widget A will fix it and the cost is going to be several thousand.

You sound like you've been around the blocks with the Hyundai. What do you think? Should I throw away the $375 just to see what they say? Seems silly....

·
Registered
7,835 Posts
No, not if you are mechanically/electrically proficient. This has been done on the Gen Coupe forums. Maybe it was here but it was done to a Gen Coupe. The ECU should have one pin for the cruise control and that's for on and off IIRC.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
on and off IIRC
No, not if you are mechanically/electrically proficient. This has been done on the Gen Coupe forums. Maybe it was here but it was done to a Gen Coupe. The ECU should have one pin for the cruise control and that's for on and off IIRC.
I hear you. I'll cancel that appt. I found your posts on the gen coupe.
The service director read me some resistance numbers so I'm sure they are still at the switch. When my wife gets back in town (she took off within an hour after her car was back), I think I will open the steering wheel and take my own readings. Eventually, I need to find that magic lead and read it at the ECU pinout (which I haven't found yet). Thanks again for your time/input

1 - 7 of 7 Posts