Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Evening! I am new to the forum as well. I own a 2004 Sante Fe that my daughter drives to and from school and work. She had a problem today on the way home, so I thought I would run it by y'all to see if anyone else has had a similar issue.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Problems with Power Steering in Mobile, AL.

My daughter has about a 15-20 mile ride home from her job. She had driven about 3/4ths the way home, when we had a bad thunderstorm here in Mobile, AL. She didn't ride thru any deep standing water, but rain was falling heavily, and she had wipers on high. All of the sudden she lost her power steering, and the steering wheel was very difficult to turn or move. Luckily, she had very few real turns to make. She said that the car squeeled(from what she described to me, sounds like a belt), and the steering wheel became extremely difficult to turn and move, and the wheel locked on her. She said in addition to the power steering going out on her, the brake light and battery light came on. The problem persisted on & off for several blocks. As she got closer to home the rain "let up" and the power steering gradually came back, and the problem ceased. I tried to call my mechanic, but he was already closed for the evening. She told me that a similar problem occurred several weeks ago (temporarily) when she drove thru some standing water; I assume over 6" high, but slowly got better after she got passed the standing water. I just assumed it was from going thru water that was too deep, of which I told her to avoid and not do again, but today she reiterated that she did not go thru any deep water. Thanks for all your help!

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Ok,, the lack of engine call out in the text, and the drives Santa Fe 2004 leads me to believe this chassis has a 2.7L V6 in it base in the description of your troubles,, or 2nd guess to be the 3.5L V6,, but your concerns seem more common to the 2.7L, so I'll run with it as a 2.7L :

My guess is that the outer ring (pulley) has seperated from the center hub of the crankshaft pulley assembly.. look down in with good light and may see the pulley ring offset the center hub.. maybe rubbing the lower timing belt cover, and the drive belt sitting toward 1 edge of the idler pulleys... sometimes if bad enough, the drive belt will walk enough and cut "S" slot in the timing belt covers on the 2.7..

·
Registered
129 Posts
Ok,, the lack of engine call out in the text, and the drives Santa Fe 2004 leads me to believe this chassis has a 2.7L V6 in it base in the description of your troubles,, or 2nd guess to be the 3.5L V6,, but your concerns seem more common to the 2.7L, so I'll run with it as a 2.7L :

My guess is that the outer ring (pulley) has seperated from the center hub of the crankshaft pulley assembly.. look down in with good light and may see the pulley ring offset the center hub.. maybe rubbing the lower timing belt cover, and the drive belt sitting toward 1 edge of the idler pulleys... sometimes if bad enough, the drive belt will walk enough and cut "S" slot in the timing belt covers on the 2.7..
Yeah, it's definitely something that is affecting the belt. Either the belt is loose and water getting up on it is causing it to slip so much that the crank pulley can't turn it or barely turn it or it's the crank pulley problem.

It would explain why she'd have the battery light come on as well as the alternator stopped generating power.

At a minimum, I'd be looking to put a new set of belts on it and take a very close look at that Crank pulley ( harmonic balancer ).

·
Registered
1 Posts
My Hyundai has the exact same problem...down to the same lights coming on and I also live in Mobile, AL. I was curious if replacing the belt and/or tensioner has solved anything or if it's a the Crank Pulley?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had this issue in the past. Simply changing my serpentine fixed the problem as the belt had become loose and water caused it to slip.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts