Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All of a sudden my fuel consumption dropped from 28mpg as read from the computer display in the dash, to 21mpg. This was not a gradual drop, it was at 28mpg one day and 21mpg the next day. There is no service light on, do these cars produce codes that don't trigger the service light?

A few months ago the vehicle was getting stuck in various gears and lunging, this was from battery corrosion dripping down and eating away at the transaxle range sensor. I cleaned up the battery and replaced the range sensor and the vehicle was driveable again. It re-learned the shift timing and seemed to be ok, then about a month ago it seemed to be forgetting the learned shift positions after sitting over night, I replaced the battery, thinking it was in a marginal state where it would forget the program while sitting. The shifting is still hard sometimes but this seems to have helped but, now my mileage is horrible.

I thought I'd just change out the oxygen and air flow sensors but, then looked at how much they cost now, and realized this would be some costly trial and error.
Is there a methodical way to troubleshoot this issue, any way to pull the sensors and measure them?

Thanks in advance for and all suggestions, as I'm pretty stumped with this one.

·
Banned
998 Posts
so I guess I would begin with transmission fluid...
I would not worry about the display now. Focus on the driveability of your car.
If engine starts fine and has the power - most likely it is OK.

What you say is the tranny does not work properly. Hence, this is your concern.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts