Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dealer sent me a promotional email to use their service department, and didn't look at it that carefully at first, but then noticed what they were offering:

Battery Test
Tire Check
Tire Inflation
Wiper Blade Check
Fluid Check
Recall check

Call me cynical, but seriously? This is supposed to impress someone?
Personally... if they really think they're giving something away with these items, it worries me about what lengths they'll go to when charging for others.

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
Lol

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
They love to "check" everything for free because they always find a few hundred dollars worth of parts that are mysteriously bad or worn out. Cha ching...

I had my oil changed at the dealer this past Saturday. New service advisor so I was automatically a little worried. The new guys always go for the maintenance items that give the biggest kickback.
I go back later to get the car and show me an air filter and cabin filter. Said they are from my car. The air filter had what looked like cat food, dead bugs and dead leaves crammed in the folds and some grease smeared on it. Cabin filter had moldy smell like it was pulled from a flood car. I said "nope - they're fine with me. Put my originals back in and bring the car out asap." Guy looked shocked that I wouldn't buy filters. They bring the car up. I drive it home. I pull the air filter. It's got some leaf bits and grime consistent with about 30k of driving. No cat food. No grease smear. Then checked the cabin filter. Some dust but no mold or discoloration. Ah yes, the old "keep some dirty filters under the counter to show the customer when you want to sell them $180 worth of paper filters" trick. Not falling for that one when you can buy both filters from Amazon for about $25, when the car actually needs them.

·
Registered
407 Posts
The last time I refused the upcharge to change the filters, they actually left the cabin air filter on the passenger seat, not bothering to put it back. The engine air filter was put back partially. Last time I let the dealer Towne Hyundai in NJ work on the car, they are mostly sloppy. I will only go in for a life threatening recall.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
That reminded me of the $199.99 7,500 Mile Intermediate Scheduled Maintenance. Oil & Filter, Cabin Filter, Techron, Rotate tires, Test battery, and free multi-point inspection from Hyundai Assurance with my dealerships Service Manager's signature.

I did all that was needed myself for close to $10: OEM filter $2.50. Oil free from Wal-Mart. Techron left over in garage from other car. Cabin filter $7.50 from Rock Auto. Rotated tires myself. Battery test was starting the car. I mean at 7,500 on the car the battery better be good. :grin2:

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, part of the reason that the dealer's advertisement caught my attention (and not in a good way) is because 2 days after I bought my car in March, the ownership changed. I didn't worship the dealership anyway and bought from them mainly because they're located conveniently between work and home and never did or said anything that I felt was substandard or out of line. However, I haven't been bowled over in a positive way by anything they've done, either, so I saw this ad with the 6 free things (that always have been and should remain free!) as a very bad indicator.

Maybe not. Maybe it's just a bad advertising department. But if it signifies a new philosophy in some way.... that concerns me.

Mostly, though, after reading it I was like …. "your kidding?" But they aren't. Whether sinister or just stupid, they think offering to perform free services for free is enticing. Sad, but still funny too.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
My dealership has been great so far, but they do have a lot of overhead to pay for being the biggest dealership in the area.

Maybe your dealership is trying to not be the old owner. :grin2:

·
Registered
223 Posts
Years ago I started annotating my air filters much like reus49- not so much to prevent service fraud but to remind me when I last changed the filter. I did have one Nissan dealer try to pull the air filter scam on me with my last car. I keep also receipts for my filters AND photos of me changing the filters for maintenance records, so needless to say that dealer was not successful ;)

FWIW- There are some (reasonably) honest dealers out there. The trick is to find one in your area.

·
Registered
13,349 Posts
They love to "check" everything for free because they always find a few hundred dollars worth of parts that are mysteriously bad or worn out. Cha ching...

I had my oil changed at the dealer this past Saturday. New service advisor so I was automatically a little worried. The new guys always go for the maintenance items that give the biggest kickback.
I go back later to get the car and show me an air filter and cabin filter. Said they are from my car. The air filter had what looked like cat food, dead bugs and dead leaves crammed in the folds and some grease smeared on it. Cabin filter had moldy smell like it was pulled from a flood car. I said "nope - they're fine with me. Put my originals back in and bring the car out asap." Guy looked shocked that I wouldn't buy filters. They bring the car up. I drive it home. I pull the air filter. It's got some leaf bits and grime consistent with about 30k of driving. No cat food. No grease smear. Then checked the cabin filter. Some dust but no mold or discoloration. Ah yes, the old "keep some dirty filters under the counter to show the customer when you want to sell them $180 worth of paper filters" trick. Not falling for that one when you can buy both filters from Amazon for about $25, when the car actually needs them.

I can't believe your dealer is pulling this crap. I thought that finally died in the 70's. Unbelievable!

I have what I consider one of the best Hyundai dealers around. Of course, when I first started going there they tried the usual upsells; fuel system cleaner, cabin filter, etc, but after they quickly caught on I was a car guy that all stopped. In fact, they ask ME if I would like them to do things, and they do offer some suggestions. Since I know I'm not going to get raked sometimes I bite, but they never, EVER tried the old air filter crap or anything else.

This is Country Hyundai in Northampton, MA, BTW and I can't compliment them enough.

Sorry to hear you're getting the run around.

·
Registered
13,349 Posts
Years ago I started annotating my air filters much like reus49- not so much to prevent service fraud but to remind me when I last changed the filter. I did have one Nissan dealer try to pull the air filter scam on me with my last car. I keep also receipts for my filters AND photos of me changing the filters for maintenance records, so needless to say that dealer was not successful ;)

FWIW- There are some (reasonably) honest dealers out there. The trick is to find one in your area.

See above. :D

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
I can't believe your dealer is pulling this crap. I thought that finally died in the 70's. Unbelievable!
They probably could have hoodwinked me if they didn't have pet food stuffed in there. I know I didn't run over any cats. Or cat food. So where did the Kitten Kibble come from? And how did a smear of oily film end up in the air box?
My air filter was a little dirty, but not clogged. You could still see light through it. I laughed out loud when they said a clean air filter would give me better gas mileage. I said I'm already getting 50+mpg highway. What do you think I would get with a new air filter? 60? 70? He had this dumbstruck look. Yes, on an old Rambler with a carburetor, a dirty air filter will lead to a rich mixture. On a modern GDI engine, the computer just adds less fuel and there is only a minor loss of power above 6000rpm. And I rarely am up past the 6 on the tach unless I am cleaning the oil out of the intake runners.

Lesson learned. Instead of putting a Tiger In My Tank, I can add Purina Carpet-Tiger Chow to my air filter and get the same benefit. But my little domestic shorthair carpet-tiger loves her food bowl so I don't think she'd appreciate me stealing some of her food to jam into my air filter.

·
Registered
13,349 Posts
They probably could have hoodwinked me if they didn't have pet food stuffed in there. I know I didn't run over any cats. Or cat food. So where did the Kitten Kibble come from? And how did a smear of oily film end up in the air box?
My air filter was a little dirty, but not clogged. You could still see light through it. I laughed out loud when they said a clean air filter would give me better gas mileage. I said I'm already getting 50+mpg highway. What do you think I would get with a new air filter? 60? 70? He had this dumbstruck look. Yes, on an old Rambler with a carburetor, a dirty air filter will lead to a rich mixture. On a modern GDI engine, the computer just adds less fuel and there is only a minor loss of power above 6000rpm. And I rarely am up past the 6 on the tach unless I am cleaning the oil out of the intake runners.

Lesson learned. Instead of putting a Tiger In My Tank, I can add Purina Carpet-Tiger Chow to my air filter and get the same benefit. But my little domestic shorthair carpet-tiger loves her food bowl so I don't think she'd appreciate me stealing some of her food to jam into my air filter.

<SNERK!> :grin2:

·
Registered
536 Posts
Hyundai seems to be in desperation mode lately, based on "offers" like this and the amount of money they are offering off the Sonata and the amount of advertising I am seeing by them.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Dealer sent me a promotional email to use their service department, and didn't look at it that carefully at first, but then noticed what they were offering:

Battery Test
Tire Check
Tire Inflation
Wiper Blade Check
Fluid Check
Recall check
Most 'drivers' do not know $hit about cars. Do you think that all those rich Chinese driving Lexuses and MB/BMW/you_name_it KNOW where filters are? Do you think that ONE, just ONE of them knows and does tire rotation in their 3-car garages?
They are fat cats to skim and they keep economy going.
Here and on other 'enthusiast' forums people LOVE cars and try to enjoy ownership. But we are talking 1 in 10000 drivers...

As for Hyundai's desperation, they have $3000 'special' for Elantra and $1500 for GT in Canada/Ontario. But dealer wants $36K from me for new GT Ultimate. I laughed and almost showed him a finger, but he was pleasant guy and did not deserved that...

·
Registered
843 Posts
Hyundai seems to be in desperation mode lately, based on "offers" like this and the amount of money they are offering off the Sonata and the amount of advertising I am seeing by them.
You are talking about two different entities here. "Hyundai" is the manufacturer. Offering money off of the Sonata is something that all manufacturers do, so it's hardly a desperation move. The dealer is not "Hyundai," they are just a dealer. And apparently not a very good one.

·
Registered
843 Posts
...rich Chinese driving Lexuses and MB/BMW/you_name_it ...
Rich Chinese? What?? I don't think the country of origin of a person necessarily has anything to do with his/her ability or desire to service a vehicle.

FYI many people with 3-car garages do their own work on cars.

Reactions: aaronwt

·
Registered
13,349 Posts
Most 'drivers' do not know $hit about cars. Do you think that all those rich Chinese driving Lexuses and MB/BMW/you_name_it KNOW where filters are? Do you think that ONE, just ONE of them knows and does tire rotation in their 3-car garages?
They are fat cats to skim and they keep economy going.
Here and on other 'enthusiast' forums people LOVE cars and try to enjoy ownership. But we are talking 1 in 10000 drivers...

As for Hyundai's desperation, they have $3000 'special' for Elantra and $1500 for GT in Canada/Ontario. But dealer wants $36K from me for new GT Ultimate. I laughed and almost showed him a finger, but he was pleasant guy and did not deserved that...

When I did a google on "GT Ultimate", this is what came up. YESSSS!!!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts