Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone my name is Oscar,
I own a 2013 Sonata GLS and I love it; it's truly been a blessing :grin:.

I just would like to add a subwoofer :thumbsup: to my stereo, here's what I did I installed all the amp connections power + ground and remote lead wire (using correct sizes needed for a 1000 watt aplication) and I tapped into the rear speakers to get signal but for some reason every time I would turn up the volume to around 35-40 the stereo would just turn off not sure why this is happening I thought that I was just getting the signal from the speaker and that the amp would take the load but I guess I am wrong, my question , to someone who knows more about this,is there anyway I can have the subwoofer without this happening(I've tried lowering the subwoofer volume levels on the amp with no success because it still goes off at 35-40) Would maybe using a line out converter help??(although I thought that was just a way of getting signal when you don't have sub outputs and that's it). The amp is a 1000 watt and the subwoofer is 1000 as well, just in case that means anything for this setup to work out properly.

Also I don't always have my volume up at those levels but it's a bit annoying when I have put it up and to have it shut off so that's why I just want to fix it if possible.If not I see a new 7inch navigation system being installed in the near future,does anyone recommend any aftermarket double dins that keep as many factory features??

If anyone has any input as to what I do to fix this please help me out I really appreciate it. Thanks and God bless!!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Do you have the rear speaker leads hooked up to the speaker level inputs on the amp? I ask because you mentioned adding a line-output converter which you'll need to step down the power of the radio to the rca input level.

What's really puzzling though is that it's the radio that's turning off when this happens versus the amp. When it happens what do you have to do to get it to turn back on?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi thanks for taking the time to help,
Yes I do,I have the driver side rear speaker wires connected to the input on the amp(I just cut an RCA cable). So I would need a converter then to take some load of the radio??

Yea I know and when the radio turns off the only way to get it back on is to start the car again other wise it stays off.

Thanks again for your help.

·
Registered
941 Posts
If you're connecting the speaker output to an RCA input that's a no-no, you're overloading the amp input by putting high power from the stock radio/amp into a low-level input and that is going to damage it. The radio may be shutting off because it is seeing an improper load on that channel and the internal protection is activating.
If your sub amp doesn't have a true speaker-level input then you will have to get a line-level converter to do this properly.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Hi thanks for taking the time to help,
Yes I do,I have the driver side rear speaker wires connected to the input on the amp(I just cut an RCA cable). So I would need a converter then to take some load of the radio??

Yea I know and when the radio turns off the only way to get it back on is to start the car again other wise it stays off.

Thanks again for your help.
You cannot just "cut" a pair of RCA cables and use them with the factory radio to an amplifier. The factory radio has power (watts) going through the wires to the speakers. The RCA input on your amp cannot take that power, and that is what is causing the radio to shut off. You need what is called a hi/low converter. You connect those speaker wires to it, and it has RCA outputs to connect to your amp. This will fix your problem.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Here is what you need,Scosche SLC4 Four-channel line output converter at Crutchfield.com
This is an Hi-Low converter, i would recommend you to stop by at local auto store, and pick up some regular speaker wires. Tap the speaker wires into rear factory speaker, and connect the RCA cables from the CONVERTER TO THE AMP.

I did my after market sub install on factory headunit about a week ago and it works like charm, feel free to ask for help.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts