Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Attached is a picture of the 8" sub in my 2014 Azera. I am wondering if anyone can tell me what the heck the foam cover on the top is for. My first suspicion was that it was intended to be some type of vibration stabilizer between the sub mount and the grill. But the dang thing doesn't work that hard, so now I'm wondering. I'm also asking the question because that cheap paper cone is destined to seek other employment this weekend, and I am wondering if I need to keep it when I put the new woofer in. Thoughts?

Attachments

·
Registered
207 Posts
This is what I think

that thing on top of the sub is for "channeling" the air directly to the cabin through the grill, without it, the air could move the entire package tray and start to make noise (I have a 18" sub in my 2008 azera, so I know how much it can rattle).

my suggestion is that you get a sealed enclosure in your trunk and remove that 8" sub so aire can move easly between trunk and cabin.

don't bother changing the stock sub, it has a limited amount of power given by the stock amp, and those kind of sub's setups are called infinite baffle, it means that the trunk acts as a sealed enclosure (but it's so big for the small sub that it's like a infinite amount of space in the box)

the only ways to improve infinite baffle setups (consider that they can take like half the power compared to the same sub in a sealed box) is to get a bigger sub (more cone area and xmax also helps to move more air) or get multiple subs (more cone area).

If I were you, I would get a 10" sub and an amp for that sub in a sealed box. your bass is going to increase a lot and you can keep with the idea of just change the speakers and stay with the stock amp.

I already bought a 1/0 awg wire kit from stinger for wiring my amps.

believe me, the most drastic change in sound I got in my 2008 azera was when I changed the stock infinity amp for an aftermarket 4 channels amp.

Good luck, enjoy your build, and don't be scare to get wrong, that's a way to learn things.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts