Hyundai Forums banner

Subaru vehicles... Yeah or Nea what's your take on them.

11K views 25 replies 16 participants last post by  jasper180268 
#1 ·
Probably crazy asking this in a Hyundai forum but eh, what the heck.

Besides Hyundai, the Subaru brand is one that I also checked out at the auto show in NY and was impressed. Anyone have thoughts about the Subaru brand models specifically the Forester, Outback and Ascent.

From what i gathered, size wise, the Crosstrek is equal to the Tucson, The Forester is equal to the Santa Fe and the Ascent is probably close to the Palisade.
They all look to have great mileage and for the most part all have the same safety features of the Hyundai counterparts.

But I'm curious to know what folks feel about the brand, models, AWD and the CVT transmission.

TS out

#2 ·
Subaru have probably the best four wheel drive system
And when the vehicle is new, they are nice to drive and own
Later, many Subaru vehicles develop head gasket issues.
And living in the rust belt, the rear wheels develop rust which make it difficult to service.
But, as you know there are no vehicles that do not develop issues later in service life
So Hyundai vehicle also have their issues.

It would really depend upon the dealership you have in your area.
Do you trust them?
How is their reputation?
Which warranty service is best?

Good luck

#8 · (Edited)
It would really depend upon the dealership you have in your area.
Do you trust them?
How is their reputation?
Which warranty service is best?
I live in NYC so there are quite a few dealerships (both Hyundai and Subaru) in the tri state area.
Can't speak for Subaru dealerships but out of the Hyundai ones, there are two that I wouldn't send my worst enemy to. Bad experience with them. The others especially the latest one I am using for service is awesome. The same owner also has a Subaru dealership. Reputation wise, except for the two I mentioned that I do not like, all other Hyundai dealerships have average to good reputations. Subaru wise, most have good reputations too. Warranty wise, Hyundai is king. I could get am extended warranty with Subaru (which I read is very good), but that is an extra expense if I go that route near the end of the regular 3 yr warranty.

Cons:
Increased hassle maintaining them because of the boxer engine configuration.
Reputation of being oil burners but not sure if it is a boxer specific issue.
Called Lezbaru's here in CO because seem to be car of choice for non-lipstick lesbians.

Pros:
A great 4x4 system
Since I don't do any of my own maintenance and let the dealership/service person do it, that doesn't concern me as much as long as its within the warranty period. The oil burner issue is something I heard but its debatable whether that still affects the newer Subarus. As for the car being called Lezbaru's lol Comments like that wouldn't bother me, since being a gay guy with long hair, I've been called miss, lady and even a lesbian on numerous occasions.

Subarus are not cheap in Colorado, dealers like to mark them up over MSRP due to high demand and many pay it.

With that said, I was very disappointed that a diesel Forester never arrived in America.
I agree. Here in NYC I read that they also mark up the price. Something about the dealer network being different from New England states to mid-Atlantic states. I also feel disappointed in both the Tucson and Forester not having a hybrid version too. Especially with the Forester which I read was designed with the intention to have a hybrid/electric setup/room on the new GPF. Maybe in the mid cycle refresh a few years from now, but I can't wait that long.

TS out

#3 ·
Just finished signing the paperwork to trade my Tucson for a Crosstrek, and already traded my wife's Tucson for a Mazda CX-3.

So I liked the Crosstrek enough to trade it, actually I wanted one before I got the Tucson but it was the first gen of Crosstrek's so I decided to wait. Hopefully I don't have any issues, but who knows what any brand will experience.

#4 ·
twospirits;5905879 From what i gathered said:
Well if your intended use and idea of a good time is driving around a muddy field in circles then I'd suggest you consider a KIA Telluride.

www.ispot.tv/ad/IEgi/2020-kia-telluride-run-t1

If anyone make a more inane ad than Subaru (dog tested), it's gotta be KIA

In CO people love their Subies - I disagree with avistor as in recent model yrs Subaru has fixed their head gasket issues. People in CO like the higher ground clearance - 8.8" I think and the AWD - which does best Hyundai when comparing AWD versions but the CVT has a lot to do with that, some people like em, others not.

The only Subaru I'd consider is the new turbo charged outback, the 2.5 is ok but not for mtn or spirited driving. To me the Ascent = bigger outback, if you need the 3rd row.

Subarus will likely cost you more to buy than Hyundai - if you don't need the extra ground clearance or full time AWD or don't care about being perceived as an eco orientated outdoors person then might not be an ideal match. I always thought Subie seats were bad but I think they've improved them

Reactions: twospirits
#6 ·
Looking at one also, interesting comment from salesperson, I was questioning reliability of the boxer and he said yea, after 150,000 miles they tend to be oil burners. All manufacturers are having issues it seems, Honda and the turbo in the CRV, high fuel dilution in cold climates is actually ruining engines and a recall is out. If a head gasket goes on a boxer a huge expense due to configuration compared to a normal straight 4. Warranty only 3 years and 36 months.

#7 · (Edited)
With an engine change under warranty I"m sure I can get 150k out of a Hyundai.

Subarus are not cheap in Colorado, dealers like to mark them up over MSRP due to high demand and many pay it.

I wonder how hard spark plug changes are in a boxer, do you have to remove the front quarter panels for extra space?

With that said, I was very disappointed that a diesel Forester never arrived in America.

#9 · (Edited)
Agree - on the price markup seen in CO , people buy a lot of them though . don't necessarily agree on the maintenance comment as I've done a head gasket job on a friend's Subie - albeit some 10 yrs back, but it was done with the engine in the car and at least back then plugs were reasonably accessible.

There are a few remaining advantages to the boxer engine - lower center of gravity and years back for a 4 cylinder the config negated inline 4 vibrations but the addition of balances shafts to most inline 4s has changed that. But having said that - I pick it any day of the week, month year decade century over the poor designed and questionable reliability of the Hyundai's Theta II .

You may have seen Subies commercials regards outbacks having the greatest number of 10 yr plus vehicles in their class still running - despite the head gasket issues of past yrs people do tend to keep them, I know of at least one shop in CO that will do a head gasket job for $1k , but the head gasket issue was fixed a number of yrs back.

I view their ground clearance as an advantage for some that want to venture off road - where every half inch can make a difference.

Reactions: twospirits
#10 ·
BTW - want to add that Hyundai proponents (afficiandos, fanboys, etc) on here often cite " only 36k miles ,3 yrs warranty" as in the above post - that is not completely true - a lot of mfgs inc Subaru give 5yrs 50 or 60k on the powertrain, bumper to bumper is 36k/3 yrs.

Personally I view Hyundai warranty to be mostly a marketing tool, but having said owning what is known to be and proven itself to be a poorly designed Theta II engine that warranty may just come in handy.

#11 ·
I've had two Subaru's and the current one is a 2005 Legacy Wagon with 102,000 miles. There have been a few problems with it (goes through co2 sensors faster than I'd like) and the Head gasket went at 100,000 miles ($2,000.00 for a quality gasket replacement and head shave). With that - I plan on going another 100,000 miles with the car. There is the rust area in the rear wheel wells, but if you pull the rubber protectors and put a little effort in rust proofing that area - problem solved.

The car has never left me stranded and I get 35 mpg all day on the highway and never been stuck (put good snows on if you live in a snowy area).

Also have had two Sonata's - different car, but equally dependable.

#26 · (Edited)
Also have had two Sonata's - different car, but equally dependable.
Yes I've had Sonatas since 1999 (EF & EF-B V6s + EF 2.0L 4cyl). Bought two of them new and two used. Very few problems over the years, good warranty response on the new ones, back in the day. Still not losing oil, despite all being over 20yrs old & 300,000kms. Those G6BV engines are pretty solid, and the bodies have all lasted quite well too. The EF-B has even written off two Ford Falcons. In the first instance, my bonnet/hood, and front bumper need minor panel beating/repair, while the second time all that was needed was a respray of the rear bumper LOL!! Very solid cars.

Had some solenoid issues with the two EF automatics when approaching 300,000, but apart from the inconvenience of that, the trannies are still going well.

#12 ·
I had 6 of them

1995 Impreza L
1998 forester L
1997 outback wagon
2003 forester xs
2005 legacy GT
2008 Tribeca

my Legacy gt I rebuilt the motor but again I was making about 150 hp more than stock.. I enjoyed it even more after I spent the money for the rebuild

Here is a video in NYC in my legacy gt in the snow with bald rear tires lol

#25 ·
I had 6 of them

1995 Impreza L
1998 forester L
1997 outback wagon
2003 forester xs
2005 legacy GT
2008 Tribeca

my Legacy gt I rebuilt the motor but again I was making about 150 hp more than stock.. I enjoyed it even more after I spent the money for the rebuild

Here is a video in NYC in my legacy gt in the snow with bald rear tires lol

WoW! still holds the road on bald tires magic of subi's 4 wheell drive for sure. lol
that boxer engine has been around for decades what i like about the subaru's is everything is pretty much right there at reach for repairing just about anything for a dyi'r... i like the impreza & legacy but not the newer legacy that now has a CVT transmission bad choice if you ask me CVT's are weak transmissions in any vehicle. when they break You throw them away because theres no parts available to rebuild them you throw it away. not like the older ones much stronger. thx for posting

#13 · (Edited)
It depends on what you are looking for from a car. Personally, I have many friends who own a Subaru, and from their words, Subaru makes the best cars. Still, I don't agree with them every time. I own a Nissan Fairlady Z , so I am pretty familiar with the Japanese car culture. So from all the Japanese car manufacturers, Subaru is the most overpriced one. Still, this is just my opinion, so please don't be hostile towards it. Hope my message will be helpful for you guys.

#16 ·
Subaru's AWD is the best on the market. (y) engine wise look out for head gasket issues that might pop up oil consuption is not an issue on subaru's unless your extending oil changes that will harden up the Oil control rings, But using BG EPR will free them up on any vehicle. expect a little higher mantaince cost of repair on subaru's many old ones still kicking around other than that great Japanese vehicles.

#19 ·
Sam great to hear Your not exteneding Oil changes, the problem with these Low Tension Oil Control Piston Rings is Yes they will provide less friction in a engine But at the same time if Your not care-full they can & will harden up/Coke up however you want to put it. prety Quickly all it takes is a few extended Oil changes to get them that way i mean that's the reality of it. Low

tension rings have little tension inside an engine in-fact rebuilding one you could literaly compress
rings by hand while puting it in inside a cylinder bore by hand, unlike the older engines where you needed to compress the rings with a skirt tool & Tap/knock it in the Cylinder.wich is why i recommend BG EPR to clean Piston rings to avoid the hassle on Oil burning engines If there in fact stuck.

#20 ·
Sam great to hear Your not exteneding Oil changes, the problem with these Low Tension Oil Control Piston Rings is Yes they will provide less friction in a engine But at the same time if Your not care-full they can & will harden up/Coke up however you want to put it. prety Quickly all it takes is a few extended Oil changes to get them that way i mean that's the reality of it. Low

tension rings have little tension inside an engine in-fact rebuilding one you could literaly compress
rings by hand while puting it in inside a cylinder bore by hand, unlike the older engines where you needed to compress the rings with a skirt tool & Tap/knock it in the Cylinder.wich is why i recommend BG EPR to clean Piston rings to avoid the hassle on Oil burning engines If there in fact stuck.
the more i read your posts the more they make more sense on using bg epr on engines thank-you once more again. :)(y)

#22 ·
Funny because I had the same dilemma lately, and it came down to the Hyundai Kona and Subaru Crosstrek. I must say it was a tough decision between the two. I had to read multiple guides including write-up from JD Power and another comparison guide from CoPilot. Eventually went for the KONA EV, because of its high value proposition and seems to be a great entry-point to the all-electric movement.