Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the GLS model with factory radio. Is it possible to add a 400-600 watt subwoofer to this radio and what is involved. I would purchase at Best Buy and have them install it.

Would I need new speakers or can I use current ones. I really would like to add a little more thump.

Thx

Bob

·
Registered
152 Posts
You need a Line level converter. It may be called a line output converter as well. You connect it to the rear speaker wires and you can plug RCA wires into it (the wires that need to be plugged into the amp) You still have to have a power wire and ground wire obviously, and you also have to run a remote wire of some sort, the best place to run the remote wire is tap into the RED wire on your factory wiring harness (the remote wire makes sure the amp turns on and off when the key turns on and off) If this seems too confusing, don't worry about it, best buy will do all of this for you. Just tell them what you want, it shouldn't be more than $100 for the installation.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Correct, if you are not doing the install just let the Best Geeks now. The sound won't be the best but I am guessing you are going more for the feel then the actual sound quality.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies

I called a local auto sound place . They said a 10 inch 250 watt subwoofer and amp would cost $400 plus installation.

Bob

·
Registered
40 Posts
QUOTE (bad1550 @ Jul 28 2010, 12:11 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=345567
Thanks for the replies

I called a local auto sound place . They said a 10 inch 250 watt subwoofer and amp would cost $400 plus installation.

Bob
That's a good bit of money for 1 10 and an amp.

Is the sub box included in the price or is that part of the installation cost? or the line level converter? if those aren't part of the $400 you could end up spending another $200 at an audio shop.

·
Registered
87 Posts
That's a good idea. It's really not much work if you wanted to do it yourself it would be a good learning experience. If you don't care any audio shop would be able to do that no problem, it's pretty standard. Some amps even have the ability to convert the audio just based on tapping into the signal going into your rear speakers. It would just be mono (even if it's a dual sub) for just lows (bass). So it's not really hard. The only difficulty I see if finding a good source to turn on and off the amp with the key, but I'm sure that wouldn't be too hard. I'd personally want to tap into the same wire that the stereo uses to turn on and off. It does not use 'power' from this source just uses it to tell the amp to turn on and off, the amp's actual power will come from the battery, and make sure you use a good quality fuse for that (usually 80amp or so). You might want to add in a manual switch too because it might suck using your bluetooth with the amp, not really sure though.

·
Registered
87 Posts
QUOTE (Mobile11 @ Jul 28 2010, 12:46 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=345583
That's a good bit of money for 1 10 and an amp.

Is the sub box included in the price or is that part of the installation cost? or the line level converter? if those aren't part of the $400 you could end up spending another $200 at an audio shop.
Yeah, that seemed a bit on the high side to me also. Maybe if it's a very good quality amp/speaker/box... I wouldn't go with anything too high end, the Sonata's sound system in the GLS is nice, but not nice enough to warrant a super nice sub woofer to supplement it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Great info, sorry I did not have a chance to respond back until now, but I do the same as everyone mentioned. I have a line output converter, sub amp and 10 inch sub that I've moved from car to car for about 15 years and am sad/happy to say I think the old MTX sub is being retired. It was showing it's age over the past year or so and now with the new Sonata Limited we picked up 2 days ago, the wife loves the sound and it has decent bass with the built-in sub and she has no need to add another. I have a 12" Alpine Type R sub in my car matched with an Alpine 500 watt Amp and I'm not an Alpine guy per se, first experience with them was a year ago when I purchased them, but it's a good match. Just what a typical 'premium' factory head unit needs and you keep everything else looking nice and stock. Good luck, it's well worth it!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts