Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone I am new at the amps and subs thing. I own a 2007 Hyundai Accent Hatchback and I am trying to figure out how to get the wire from the battery to inside the car. I can't seem to find a spot or I am just not looking in the correct place. I have heard of people drilling into the firewall but I really don't want to do that. Any help to this situation would be amazing! Thanks!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Well I havent seen a MC Accent. But a common routing spot is the rubber grommet the speedo cable goes through. If its too thick for that, you will probably have better luck routing under the car, dropping the gas tank and putting a hole above the gas tank, under the rear seat. And a rubber grommet to prevent damage to wire, and to keep moisture out. Dont forget to fuse it properly and to leave the fuse out until all wiring is done.

Someone else more familiar with the car may know a better through the cab route, most of the trim on mine does not have a lot of room to hide wire. Basically if it fits with the speedo cable, it can hide in the trim.

·
1,565 Posts
Drilling into the firewall is no big deal. Behind the steering column is even a metal plug waiting to be drilled out. YOU WILL NEED A GROMMET (unless you are keen on electrical shock and buying new amps). once inside, the best way is to run it under the door sill and behind the rear panels, although you could also run it under the center console and under the carpet, but you'll run into ugliness once you hit the back seats. Your other option is to run it through behind the fender, but if there's not a hole to get in the cabin already, you're still going to have to drill. one other option is under the car. You won't have to drop the gas tank, you can just drill a hole in the spare tire well, although my personal preference is to not have the cable under the car where anything can hit it (again, that's just my preference).

If you find the plug behind the steering column, (it's about 2 inches below another hole and there is a diamond-shaped punch-out in the material inside the engine bay) you are good to drill, because unless you have some giant, super-long bit, or you go crazy, you're not going to hit anything.

Use a grommet, because even if it's a tight fit, the vibration will eventually leave its mark. (why does that sound dirty?)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
QUOTE (LameBMX @ Apr 18 2011, 09:47 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=432459
Well I havent seen a MC Accent. But a common routing spot is the rubber grommet the speedo cable goes through. If its too thick for that, you will probably have better luck routing under the car, dropping the gas tank and putting a hole above the gas tank, under the rear seat. And a rubber grommet to prevent damage to wire, and to keep moisture out. Dont forget to fuse it properly and to leave the fuse out until all wiring is done.

Someone else more familiar with the car may know a better through the cab route, most of the trim on mine does not have a lot of room to hide wire. Basically if it fits with the speedo cable, it can hide in the trim.
so your recommending just drill through and use a grommet? I have been reading around and saw that people were saying behind the glove box is a grommet that is accessible...

·
Registered
255 Posts
Mine is goinge trough the fire wall by a grommet that's is behind the brake pedal , it' is cover vu a plastic that is fix thei by two srews
the only thing you have to do is to perforate the rubber behind that and make the wire go trough the firewall by thisway...

i did it like that more than a year ago and everything is ok!

nick

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
QUOTE (sleepermc @ Apr 19 2011, 09:00 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=432605
Mine is goinge trough the fire wall by a grommet that's is behind the brake pedal , it' is cover vu a plastic that is fix thei by two srews
the only thing you have to do is to perforate the rubber behind that and make the wire go trough the firewall by thisway...

nick
I will give that a try and see if I can get through. (is it that box with all the wires coming out of it and it has that hard plastic cover?)

·
Registered
201 Posts
If your not comfortable drilling use that rubber grommet just be very careful and make sure that you do not cut any wires when making a small slit to "force" the wire through If you make the hole a little small and the wire has to stretch the rubber and it will help to seal and keep water out of the car it is not hard to get to once you find it but you have to hunt and then i is easy. make sure to wire tie the power wire under the hood so it does not rub or get stuck in something it shouldn't.

·
Registered
33 Posts
What I did was take a nail, cut of the flat part and neatly taped it to my pos wire and just pushed it through the more open part in the grommet from under dash to engine.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
QUOTE (sleepermc @ Apr 19 2011, 09:00 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=432605

nick
I did this as well and everything is working fine!

·
Registered
345 Posts
QUOTE (scorason @ Apr 20 2011, 04:00 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=433245
What I did was take a nail, cut of the flat part and neatly taped it to my pos wire and just pushed it through the more open part in the grommet from under dash to engine.
I was able to route 0ga wire, 4 16ga aux wire, and 2 14ga wire through the boot.
What I did was pretty primitive...but I took a hanger and tied it to the 0ga wire with electrical tape and lubed it with some baby oil.
Pushed the hanger through...and then pulled the wire trough.
Did that 3 separate occasions...since i keep forgetting about the switches I need to run as well as the strobes.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts